Laois u21 hurlers 2016

Started by TheGreatGame, May 23, 2016, 10:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatGame

Not a bad team at all considering there's a few strong players to come back on to it.  I really hope we are primed for a battle this evening.  The forwards will have to work extremely hard and win a lot of the breaks as the size is not there to win possession first time.  They are all good hurlers though, and we have an excellent keeper in Rowland and will have a very solid free taker in Kav/Fennelly.

Ballyroan Abbey

Does anyone know how the duggan chap is involveld or eligable

TheGreatGame

Can't remember a match where I was more sick at the final whistle.  There really is no county like our own to f**k up a golden opportunity.  Too pissed off to try analyse it now.

burdizzo

Another depressing result for Laoise hurling. And this was the team that was supposed to get to a Leinster final?? Pah. What is wrong?

Thewildcat

lets give Carlow a bit of credit here, they have also beaten laois last year so laois can't say they were taking by surprise tonight. great win for westmeath also leaves it wide open with Dublin and wexford to play yet.

redsetanta

This was the minor team that reached a minor final 3 years ago beating Wexford along the way. WTF happened this evening. How the f**k can Westmeath beat the cats because we sure as hell wouldn't. It has to be all in the psyche. There is something in the DNA. As the GG says a real opportunity falls lamely down before it even gets started. I was half afraid to look for the final result and jaysus now i know why.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Ogie

As I've suspected for a while all this 'brilliant underage work' we've been supposedly doing is all bullshit,
With no proper structures and programmes in place with each and every manager doing their own thing.
A deadest to Offaly in the senior Sunday week and it's a fairly bleak year and outlook for Laois hurling

burdizzo

Absolutely. And you can be damn sure they'll lose to Offaly, too.

finbar o tool

Its either coaching or mentality, or both. Id be leaning towards both.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

TheGreatGame

Quote from: Thewildcat on May 25, 2016, 10:15:55 PM
lets give Carlow a bit of credit here, they have also beaten laois last year so laois can't say they were taking by surprise tonight. great win for westmeath also leaves it wide open with Dublin and wexford to play yet.

Absolutely.  Just like last year they gave it absolutely everything and in James Doyle have a hurler that any county would be proud of.  I had a feeling Westmeath would be quietly confident so I wasn't that shocked to hear they won.

ClashAsh

This is absolutely atrocious for Laois hurling. Minors were terrible as were the seniors in every game except the Westmeath game so I was really hoping to see this U21 team go on a good run in this Leinster championship.
Terrible result for Laois. What was the set up like? Was Shane Corby the manager. Westmeath had a same number of u21s in the Westmeath senior set up as Laois u21s had in with Laois seniors so why cant that be used as a driving advantage like in Westmeath.

TheGreatGame

Quote from: Ogie on May 25, 2016, 10:37:01 PM
As I've suspected for a while all this 'brilliant underage work' we've been supposedly doing is all bullshit,
With no proper structures and programmes in place with each and every manager doing their own thing.
A deadest to Offaly in the senior Sunday week and it's a fairly bleak year and outlook for Laois hurling

I don't know that it's all bullshit, but we just started doing what every other hurling county bar a few were doing anyway, so it was never going to be a case of joining the elite...that just aint gonna happen with our hurling population.  I've made my peace with that, but it doesn't excuse f**king away opportunities like today and this years minors.  The obvious point is the absence of Joe Campion.  Three years ago he was our most important player with the minors.  Likewise Robbie Phelan for this years minors...everyone is entitled to do their own thing, but you are not going anywhere if you're missing your very best hurlers. 

I do agree 100% with you on the manager part Ogie,  there was a serious issue this evening that I'm not willing to delve into on a public forum but it certainly didn't help our cause.  There was some really questionable calls with last years minors too.  What is the answer though?  Suitable candidates are thin on the ground.

The reaction here makes it sound like we hurled really badly, which we didn't by the way.  There were some good displays and I did see a noticeable difference with the guys that are in with the seniors.  The likes of John Lennon has come on in leaps and bounds for example.

But some simple things really caught us.  One or two selfish decisions cost us goals, while to a man Carlow hurled for the team.  When we scored the goal that was disallowed I couldn't say from where I was sitting whether it was a square ball or not, but our forwards didn't say a word to the umpire.  The Carlow lads hounded the umpire as any other defence would no matter how legitimate or otherwise the goal was, but our lads just ran back to their positions!  (And given that the Carlow goalie batted out the ball before the Laois forward goaled, it's hard to imagine how it was a square ball).  I saw at least two occasions where a short Carlow puck out was gathered inside the 21' which should result in a throw in but this was never pointed out to the ref or linesman.  Small things, but they all add up.

It really is turning into a horrible, horrible year for Laois hurling.

LOVEGAA

Seniors beaten by Kerry. U21s beaten by Carlow. Minors beaten by Offaly.

This doesnt read well for Laois Hurling really.  We have been listening to development for a long time now and to be honest I dont think we are any further ahead and cannot see light at end of tunnel

Last night I watched a team that I thought looked either tired or dis-interested. I thought Lennon and Kavanagh we about the only 2 that showed any fight .  Take Kavanaghs score from total and it would be very dismal reading.

A few changes were needed that were blatantly obvious but then had we anything on bench to replace.?

blueandwhite1

We can't blame hurling population this time - surely Carlow and Westmeath have a smaller pick than us.

Fair play to both counties, they, like us are putting the effort in at underage. Westmeath's performances in the senior round robin show that and they only beat Carlow narrowly. We are improving but so are other counties. My concern is that we are not getting hurlers to the same standard as other counties - notably Waterford, Clare and Limerick who have put similar efforts into underage development. We probably have the structures and support now but are still not getting the basic skill levels to the required standard. The minors for example had the best of facilities, coaches, nutritionists etc. but couldn't rise a ball of the ground at speed or put the ball over the bar under pressure. Too much fluff and not enough high intensity drills.

It is not enough that Laois improve, we have to improve more than the other counties if we want to rise up the pecking order.

Giovanni

Quote from: TheGreatGame on May 26, 2016, 12:10:49 AM

But some simple things really caught us.  One or two selfish decisions cost us goals, while to a man Carlow hurled for the team.  When we scored the goal that was disallowed I couldn't say from where I was sitting whether it was a square ball or not, but our forwards didn't say a word to the umpire.  The Carlow lads hounded the umpire as any other defence would no matter how legitimate or otherwise the goal was, but our lads just ran back to their positions!  (And given that the Carlow goalie batted out the ball before the Laois forward goaled, it's hard to imagine how it was a square ball).  I saw at least two occasions where a short Carlow puck out was gathered inside the 21' which should result in a throw in but this was never pointed out to the ref or linesman.  Small things, but they all add up..

I think this is very important. These are, indeed small details but these small details are the difference between winning close games and losing them. When a team starts to win a few close games, these small things start coming more automatically. I've been looking at Laois a long time now (most in football) and I can never understand why we can't get basic things right.