Leinster Minor Football Championship

Started by SCFC, April 20, 2016, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unison

Best of luck Laois minors. Bring home the cup. ;D

Heshs Umpire

Good luck to the lads today. Great to be heading back to Croker on Leinster final day.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

SCFC

Couldn't make Croker yesterday cos of a long standing family event. Jesus, Jack Nolan and Peter O'Leary are a worse version of Statler and Waldorf.
Sounded like we'd no complaints and could well have been beaten by more.

Unlaoised

Physically we were dominated in nearly all sectors of the pitch...

Sean Byrnes early injury didn't help matters he played on with a very badly twisted ankle but was only half the player he can be.

Max Connolly done okay in the middle against two giants that Kildare had.

Laois had a few very nervy performers in Delaney aand Comerford and I'm sure these young lads will have better days.

Whelan at full forward was a standout kicking 6 points 4 from frees.

O'Connor did well and scored a wonder point in the first half from half back.

we needed a goal to see how Kildare would react but it never came.

In truth if Kildare had to have taken their chances in the first half the game would have been over at half time.

I hope the young lads learn from this and put up a good show against Galway in Tullamore on Sat week at 2pm
LAOIS ABÚ

Zooming around

Quote from: SCFC on July 18, 2016, 08:46:20 AM
Couldn't make Croker yesterday cos of a long standing family event. Jesus, Jack Nolan and Peter O'Leary are a worse version of Statler and Waldorf.
Sounded like we'd no complaints and could well have been beaten by more.

Not sure I'd call them Statler and Waldorf but they do have a right muppet in between them, Craig Rogers!!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: SCFC on July 18, 2016, 08:46:20 AM
Couldn't make Croker yesterday cos of a long standing family event. Jesus, Jack Nolan and Peter O'Leary are a worse version of  Statler and Waldorf   ;D ;D 8)

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Unlaoised

Jesus it got a bit personal alright....

Both had decent points but really sad to see it being discussed on facebook like that...

Rodgers left the county panel far to early and I thought he could have given more as he was and still is a talented player.

O'Leary was a great servant to the county but I was surprised at hi early retirement last season.

We did look slightly behind Kildare but they have won 3 out of 4 leinsters and hve bigger numbers to pick from.

I wouldn't be as negative as Rodgers yes things need to be changed and stuff needs to be worked on but I still think there is a lot of good work ebing done in the county!
LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

What was going on on Facebook Unloised?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Not sure it was necessary to post up their Facebook photos here, regardless of the debate.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Don Draper on July 19, 2016, 02:03:30 PM
Not sure it was necessary to post up their Facebook photos here, regardless of the debate.

Point taken Don, sorry 'bout that.. Removed..

SCFC

I hear Diarmuid Whelan is out of the Galway game with a broken collarbone. Got the injury playing club hurling I heard. Huge loss.

SCFC

Editing post as previous poster removed his post. Cheers.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Hard luck yesterday lads...

Tribesmen get the better of Laois to secure All-Ireland minor football last-four spot

Galway 3-10

Laois 0-12

GALWAY ADVANCED TO the semi-finals of the All-Ireland minor football championship by a deceptively-large seven-point margin at O'Connor Park in Tullamore this afternoon — their victory secured by their superior ability to convert goal chances in a wide-open contest.

Five clear-cut chances to raise green flags were created by the young Tribesmen, three of which were finished to the net, while at the other end goalkeeper Cormac Haslam was in inspired form, producing a series of excellent saves.

Laois also pulled three shots wide of the target from inside the penalty area and wasted a late spot-kick, misses which ultimately cost them their chance of pulling off a shock win.

Galway played with the wind in the first half and while they struggled badly at midfield, losing out to the greater fielding power of Max Connolly and Robert Tyrell, they were extremely clinical up front.

Despite not having key wing forward Barry Goldrick available after he suffered a broken leg during the week, they were incredibly sharp, with their inside line duo of Desmond Conneely and Robert Finnerty linking up very well.

Finnerty and Adam Murphy struck for two goals in quick succession around the 22-minute mark to give Galway a 2-6 to 0-2 interval lead and they added a third through Ryan Forde after half time, their lead preserved to the end by the shocking profligacy of the Leinster team.

Scorers for Galway: Evan Murphy & Robert Finnerty (0-1f) 1-3 each, Desmond Conneely 0-4, Ryan Forde 1-0.

Scorers for Laois: Diarmuid Whelan 0-7f, Adam Deering 0-2, Finbarr Crowley, Johnny Kelly & Lee Davis 0-1 each.

Galway

1. Cormac Haslam (Glenamaddy)

2. Eoghan Deeley (Salthill-Knocknacarra)
3. Seán Mulkerrin (Aran Islands)
7. Fionnán Garvey (Monivea-Abbey)

5. Adam Quirke (Annaghdown)
6. Ernán McDonagh (Bearna)
20. Lee Kenny (Monivea-Abbey)

9. Ross Murphy (Bearna)
8. Seán Raftery (Glenamaddy)

14. Finian Ó' Laoi (An Spidéal)
11. Evan Murphy (Salthill-Knocknacarra)
12. Ryan Forde (Annaghdown)

23. Rory Cunningham (St Brendan's)
15. Desmond Conneely (Moycullen)
13. Robert Finnerty (Salthill-Knocknacarra)

Subs

24. John Maher (Salthill-Knocknacarra) for Cunningham (35)
25. Seán Thornton (Killanin) for Kenny (41)
26. Liam Boyle (Kilkerrin-Clonberne) for Deeley (53)
27. Martin Kerrigan (An Fhairche) for Murphy (56)
28. Jack Gavin (St Brendan's) for Ó'Laoi (59)

Laois

1. Ross McGrath (Portarlington)

3. Diarmuid Bennett (Portarlington)
2. James Kelly (St Josephs)
4. Richie Hitchcock (Park-Ratheniska)

5. Shane Bolger (Killeshin)
6. Seán Byrne (Portarlington)
7. James O'Connor (Timahoe)

24. Robert Tyrell (Camross)
9. Max Connolly (Ballyfin)

10. Finbarr Crowley (Emo)
11. Adam Deering (Killeshin)
12. Ciarán Comerford (Harps)

13. Alan Kinsella (Courtwood)
22. John Kavanagh (Portlaoise)
14. Diarmuid Whelan (Ballyroan-Abbey)

Subs

16. Darragh Phelan (Barrowhouse) for McGrath (24 – bc)
15. Johnny Kelly (O'Dempsey's) for Kinsella (ht),
20. Dylan Feane (Portlaoise) for Bolger (43 – bc)
23. Lee Davis for Comerford (43)
21. E Lowry for Kavanagh (43)

Referee: James Bermingham (Cork)

SCFC

Was over in Tullamore Saturday. No way we should have lost by that margin. Harsh in the extreme.
Kildare would be a way better team than Galway.
Our midfield did well throughout but we again lacked scoring threat up front.

galwayman

Quote from: SCFC on August 01, 2016, 12:43:39 PM
Was over in Tullamore Saturday. No way we should have lost by that margin. Harsh in the extreme.
Kildare would be a way better team than Galway.
Our midfield did well throughout but we again lacked scoring threat up front.
Think Galway would be a handy team if we could sort out our midfield.
It's the Achilles heel of this team.
Not helped by injuries to 2 of our best players who had been playing in the middle.