Laois Senior Hurling Championship 2016

Started by Ogie, March 04, 2016, 09:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

They'll be on the beer until then! Fair play to them, though!

Dave like the tv channel

Delighted for BK. RE amalgamated 10 years ago but had almost instant success. BK have been a coming team, with the 4-in-a-row minors, but they needed the breakthrough. They were the superior team yesterday and if I'm not wrong, they were never led in the whole game.

Matthew Whelan's understated 'celebration' at the final whistle belied someone who had been through so much on the field over the past few years and who had played such a huge part in bringing the title back to that parish for the first time in over 40 years.

Lets hope they take the Leinster challenge seriously.

blueandwhite1

Congratulations to Borris-Kilcotton and commiserations to Rathdowney Errill.

Two great battles but best team won out in the end.

Rathdowney sorely missed Mark Kavanagh and a fit Paddy Purcell yesterday. As someone intimated last week, the string of tough games caught up with them more.

Best of luck to BK in Leinster.

merman

Massive congratulations to Borris/Kilcotton who are deserving champions for 2016. They were hungry again yesterday and you could almost feel the crowd willing them on towards the end. Huge celebrations over there; I'd say there'll be plenty from the different clubs over tonight.

I've tipped B/K here over the last couple of years and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them add a couple more championships over the coming years.
Great work going on in their juvenile setup and a good, strong young team there who could well be the team to beat moving forward.
They have a tough draw in Leinster but I'd hope they could make a serious impact there too. Adding the U21 Championship would cap off an incredible year for them.

Commiserations to RE. They've been the best team in Laois for a decade now and I'm sure they'll be there or thereabouts next year too.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: merman on October 24, 2016, 11:53:49 AM
Massive congratulations to Borris/Kilcotton who are deserving champions for 2016. They were hungry again yesterday and you could almost feel the crowd willing them on towards the end. Huge celebrations over there; I'd say there'll be plenty from the different clubs over tonight.

I've tipped B/K here over the last couple of years and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them add a couple more championships over the coming years.
Great work going on in their juvenile setup
and a good, strong young team there who could well be the team to beat moving forward.
They have a tough draw in Leinster but I'd hope they could make a serious impact there too. Adding the U21 Championship would cap off an incredible year for them.

Commiserations to RE. They've been the best team in Laois for a decade now and I'm sure they'll be there or thereabouts next year too.

You'd have to be delighted for B/K. I was reasonably confident of them winning the first day and even more so yesterday. They may well add a few more titles, but I actually think that things are a bit bleak underage at the moment.
They weren't hectic at minor, and all there teams below that from U16 to U10 were pretty poor this year.
The 3 strong minors they had all featured at senior this year and two started yesterday.

They were headed for trouble if they didn't win yesterday and I don't really see any additions to the current team coming in the next 4-5 years. It'll be interesting to see how they react to winning. Matthew and Brian Stapleton are going to be needed for a long time yet!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

LOVEGAA

Well done to BK.
Had potential to be as good a game as the first day but I felt ref didnt let the game flow as well as he could.

Unlaoised

Quote from: LOVEGAA on October 25, 2016, 09:19:13 AM
Well done to BK.
Had potential to be as good a game as the first day but I felt ref didnt let the game flow as well as he could.

Harsh on Broken I thought he did a good job was one R/E free he might have got wrong near the end where Borris got a point but looking back on the TV last night it looked like both players slipped .

Great game of hurling again and well done to Borris/Kilcotton
LAOIS ABÚ

LOVEGAA

Just thought towards lalor he was a bit quicker to blow and could have let it go a bit better. Would also think he's not as good to keep up to the play as he was but think he might have been injured earlier in year,

Zooming around

Quote from: Unlaoised on October 25, 2016, 10:52:41 AM
Well done to BK.

Harsh on Broken I thought he did a good job was one R/E free he might have got wrong near the end where Borris got a point but looking back on the TV last night it looked like both players slipped .

Harsh?? Are you joking? He was septic. Everything in the first half was a free, no flow to the game at all. Every time two lads touched off each other a free was given. That coupled with his inability to keep up with the play meant he was miles off the standard set by Lawlor. Lawlor and Stapleton are by far the best in Laois.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Zooming around on October 25, 2016, 11:38:13 AM
Well done to BK.

Harsh?? Are you joking? He was septic. Everything in the first half was a free, no flow to the game at all. Every time two lads touched off each other a free was given. That coupled with his inability to keep up with the play meant he was miles off the standard set by Lawlor. Lawlor and Stapleton are by far the best in Laois.

We didn't learn much though. Very similar to other games he has reffed. In fairness though, nobody in Rathdowney / Errill would say that he influenced the outcome in any major way.

LOVEGAA

He wasn't good in general and to be fair to players if ref cant keep up with play he should be there

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Zooming around on October 25, 2016, 11:38:13 AM
Well done to BK.

I thought he was very fussy too. There was a cameo in the second, where I thought RE had a free on the sideline, but he gave BK the sideline ball. The sideline was cut in and another free to RE was waved on, and BK tapped the ball over the bar.

Not a good performance. Maybe he was afraid of things getting out of control.

LOVEGAA

Missed a few quite obvious frees IMO. BK got a free at one stage that had everyone perplexed but obviously it was advantage but seemed to be called late enough.
Lads that train hard all year deserve to have a ref that can do a good job and more importantly keep up with play

Ballyroan Abbey

Saw the team of the year find it hard to fathom how dowling wasnt on it being honest, was also suprised to see 8 borris lads on it but you couldnt really argue with too many either to be fair, i suppose its a bit like the all stars selections the finalist particularly the winners tend to dominate selections and contributions from players earlier in the championship tend to be forgotten, was a simular stoey with the football team, who do people have as player of the year?

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on October 25, 2016, 11:19:35 PM
Saw the team of the year find it hard to fathom how dowling wasnt on it being honest, was also suprised to see 8 borris lads on it but you couldnt really argue with too many either to be fair, i suppose its a bit like the all stars selections the finalist particularly the winners tend to dominate selections and contributions from players earlier in the championship tend to be forgotten, was a simular stoey with the football team, who do people have as player of the year?

Given that Borris were pretty poor up to the final I would personally give it to Ross King who was massively influential throughout the championship.