Laois Senior Hurling Championship 2016

Started by Ogie, March 04, 2016, 09:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave like the tv channel

Rumours abound that it may be an All Ireland record for a senior county hurling final. 52 white flags, 56 scores, 64 total points. Simply sensational.

Helix

I wonder was gaa beo from tg4 there today videoing. To show the rest of the country that we have decent hurlers. Hopefully the replay will be half as good as today!
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Downtheroad

What was really impressive was the quality of the scores from both teams.

G@@

On TG4 tomorrow evening at 8.30pm. The replay is October 23rd.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

finbar o tool

Outstanding display yesterday from both teams! And couldn't have come at a better time! A lot of depressing shite talk going on about our hurlers in this County. Plenty of ability here if we can get them together and get the best out of them.
Nearly impossible to pick a MOTM in that match! Something finally clicked for BK and they produced a performance they were always capable of. And RE responded with a performance to match! One of THE best matches ive ever witnessed. Credit to both teams. Great atmosphere too!
Really hope they both do the same again the next day!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

LOVEGAA

An unbelievable display from both sides on Sunday.  Restores some faith in Laois hurling/.
Weather conditions perfect, and ref did a good job.

Whilst BK rose above all expectations RE have to be admired the way they held their composure and came from 5 pts down to draw the match while in reality at the end of 60 mins of hard tough hurling both teams should have been knackered
The quality of points taken under pressure in injury time were unreal

Ogie

Super game on Sunday, unreal skill & hurling from both sides,
I thought we had it when Foyles huge point went over.

Rathdowney Errill just wouldn't stop coming, some team and character.
Hard to know who will take most from the day, Rathdowney Errill will feel they've taken BK's best punches & are still standing
BK will fill up with massive confidence after that performance.

I'll no doubt get criticised for it, but I can not see how John Lawlor played on after the last puck out, time was up when the ball went over the bar, 73 minutes had passed before Fleming hit the puck out.
And the second point of criticism, John Lawlor doesn't understand the advantage rule,

It's hard to know what to expect the next day, I suppose a lot will depend on weather conditions, and whatever management try to do to each team to tighten it up in defence

LOVEGAA

To be fair BK goalie had been warned about time wasting so its at refs discression to add time on or not.
I can see why BK fans might have been angry but in fairness they were 2 pts up in injury time and didnt hold the lead so cant blame ref for that.
I would agree about advantage rule but very few refs can get it right.

From a neutrals point of view it was a fair result and heres hoping for the same again on the 23rd

Zooming around

The sign for three minutes additional time went up after 58 minutes. People need to remember that the phrase is "at least xxx minutes". After the sign went up there was a yellow card and two instances of timewasting. Perfect refereeing.

Ogie

Once, only once, did he wave at Fleming to hurry on, and that was on the last puck out, the same as every keeper would do, according to radio it was 72:55 before the free was struck, so then find an extra 43 seconds, it's grand that it was a brilliant game but that's not worth a lot to BK if their beaten the next day
It gets overlooked when it's a draw and especially when it was a great game, but time up is time up, not just take the easy option,

On the advantage rule, Ross King was pulled back by the jersey, then released and allowed go on and strike at goal, then when ball went wide he pulled it back for free, he had the advantage got he was allowed & able to strike, advantage over,
Just before I'm finished giving out/whinging, the county board/organisation was very poor on Sunday, U17 final should never have been fixed for O Moore Park on same day, Junior match ran well over time, and I think half time in the senior was 20 to 25 minutes long due to presentations

I know lads will jump down my throat here, but it is frustrating when it's so close.

The match was unreal and super for everyone there and great to have positive press about Laois hurling again, I'd imagine there will be a huge crowd for the replay 

LOVEGAA

Look I can understand your frustration but in fairness there was a bit of time wasting going on and he was warned (by my reckoning twice).
As for the advantage rule is that not the way it goes?. Advantage given if no score free awarded? I personally think its a ridiculous rule and not used properly but in this instance it was right. Jersey pulled, free (advantage 1st).
As a BK supporter you can see things you felt went against ye but Im sure RE people would have some gripes also.

Would agree with you about half time. The most ridiculous time given and to be honest most people were talking about the 1st half and not paying attention. Very unfair on both teams who Im sure were chomping at the bit to get back out

Ogie

Fair enough LG, fully accept there will be different opinions! That's what we're on here for!! 😀

To get back to the hurling, what would people do to your team for the next day to get the win? Or how would you prepare between now and then?

Most of it will fall on management to get the players back down after such a game and then build again for the replay, I actually think we have a good chance of another shoot out as I don't think either team works well defensively/sweepers etc,

RE have to think about stopping Foyle
BK have to think about how to stop King, and someone else will be the heroes the next day

LOVEGAA

TBH Ogie the worst thing would be if both teams started to over think things too much.

Both good teams to be fair, and I would hate if either decided to play a defencive game next time.

BK came out with all guns blazing and were the talk of the place because they havent played like that all year but to be fair to RE they did the same but to hold their nerve in the last 10 mins and get a draw was something else.

finbar o tool

Yea agreed theres no need to over think things, the caliber of shooting and attack play was unreal, but both defences actually played fairly well too IMO!
Both managements will just be aiming to keep their lads sharp and fresh and tend to any injury concerns.
It might come down to which defence can tighten things up a bit from the last day. RE seemed to defend in packs more than BK, there is pros and cons to this but BK will need to get tighter to King and Dowling to close down their efforts if they are not defending in packs. On RE, if they continue to defend in packs then they need to be prepared for BK to be able to get a handpass out to a runner or free man. This is where BK improved the most i think, not wasting possession and recycling a lot better. their 2nd goal is a perfect example of this. Quinlan was being hounded but still got a great handpass out to Foyle who had snuck in behind everyone. Joe Campion was able to get passes off with 4 RE lads on his back a few times! I think RE would be better served by keeping O'Connell on the edge of the square for as long as possible, they lost a threat when he went out the field.
I was kind of surprised to see King getting the nod for MOTM in the papers. Yes he had a great game and he got the equaliser but Dowling was the saviour for RE, unbelievable scores near the end to drag RE back into the game, hes been in great form all year and he will need to be kept some way quiet.
Aaron Dunphy showed his talent fully at last and will be full of confidence for the next day, if he can play as well again and have Scully back nearer to 100% BK just might edge it.
So much to look forward to in the replay! It might not be THAT high scoring a game again but i do expect a lot of scores!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Zooming around on October 12, 2016, 10:28:45 AM
The sign for three minutes additional time went up after 58 minutes. People need to remember that the phrase is "at least xxx minutes". After the sign went up there was a yellow card and two instances of timewasting. Perfect refereeing.

I'd have to agree that in my opinion what Lalor did and what Zoom says above is spot on. There was at least an additional 30-40 seconds accrued from the 58th-63rd minute. The All Ireland Football final and Maurice Deegan springs to mind.

Quote from: Ogie on October 12, 2016, 09:35:39 AM
And the second point of criticism, John Lawlor doesn't understand the advantage rule,
Quote from: Ogie on October 12, 2016, 10:29:09 AM
On the advantage rule, Ross King was pulled back by the jersey, then released and allowed go on and strike at goal, then when ball went wide he pulled it back for free, he had the advantage got he was allowed & able to strike, advantage over,

I'm don't think Lalor is a particularly brilliant ref, but as far as I know, his interpretation is correct in a situation like you described above. Otherwise how can a referee decide whether the player in question is capable of scoring? He'd have to assess who it was that had the shot and whether they were likely to score or not.

I have a couple of problems with the advantage rule. It is applied very differently for backs and forwards. If a forward is fouled and goes on and pucks it wide, it's called back for a free.
If a back man is fouled and clears under pressure to nobody in particular (or an opposition back) it's play on.

Also, what happens if a forward (after being fouled and waved on for advantage) stands still and drops the ball in order to win a scoreable free. Is the player "allowed" to "call" the free like this? Haven't seen it happen yet, but I'd imagine coaches, especially those with excellent free takers, in tight games or poor weather conditions would be at least considering giving this instruction?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......