Newspaper Items

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, February 26, 2015, 01:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on February 14, 2016, 07:05:07 PM
This is ridiculous...

Jim Gavin explains why Dublin received €1.34 million in funding
http://www.newstalk.com/Jim-Gavin-explains-why-Dublin-received-134-million-in-funding

Just seeing this now. I'd love to know how much of a structure Dublin had before the money started rolling in. I suspect that all they had was a plan and Croke Park jumped at it. The fact is that Croker sees a block of Dublin supporters (1.5m of them) as a single unit of customers and compares that to the 33 other teams, none of whom come close to those sort of numbers. Offaly wins an All Ireland, 80,000 people happy. Dublin wins, it's 1.5m.

Dublin came up with a plan (or were told to), the plan is funded, then all and sundry justify the funding. Volunteerism? How many in clubs around Laois are not volunteers. They hardly reinvented the wheel there.

I'd love to see the funding stopped and see how Dublin fares after. This is the end justifying the means. At this stage, the rest of the country is on catch-up. GAA in Dublin is sexy, because winning is sexy. If the GAA are not careful, we'll have such a boring championship because Dublin will keep winning. When Croker kills the golden goose, who will answer for that?

Having said all that, the CB have to step up to the plate now. We do have (4/5) GDOs that my club has not seen in about three years. Apart from the odd match for their own club or Cul Camp weeks, I'd say nearly the entire CB has not been out to our club in that time. There's no proactive thinking at all. They get a reasonable idea (eg OMP Experience night) and run it until people are bored of it.

Zooming around

What club are you? The two hurling lads have been out to us for some great sessions on a regular basis. In fairness to them they come any time we ask them. I agree with you on the Experience Night. Time to bin it or replace it with something else.

maccer

Just one question...Exactly who's bored of the experience night....can't be the kids cos it should be new kids coming through at least every 2 years so therefore it must be the adult mentors/club officials. That's part of the underage problem. Adults get bored and stale. Instead of renewing and reinvigorating the whole set up it eventually just fades off and kids suffer. It's not entirely the adults fault. They should be helped to maintain their interest and upskill themselves. Hopefully the likiof these new pathway workshops will be the start of that

Zooming around

What are the workshops? When are they?

maccer

Start Mon night in New centre of excellence beside o Moore Park. U8s this week followed by u10 the following week & u12 the week after. Hurling 639 football 745. Details are on laois gaa website

Zooming around

Quote from: maccer on July 03, 2016, 08:46:20 AM
Start Mon night in New centre of excellence beside o Moore Park. U8s this week followed by u10 the following week & u12 the week after. Hurling 639 football 745. Details are on laois gaa website

Thanks. I'm the U8 coach in our club and never heard about these.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Just to clear this up, this is what you posted Don... You said " Contract negotiations still ongoing"

Quote from: Don Draper on October 10, 2016, 06:10:48 PM
Quote from: BobbyBoucherJr on October 10, 2016, 10:34:24 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on October 06, 2016, 11:48:29 AM
Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on October 06, 2016, 12:24:15 AM
Will Zac not be making his annual appearance for Portlaoise this year ??
Not coming home this year.
Zach is home since last Friday
Change of plan so. Contract negotiations still ongoing. Should make it interesting for Sunday.