Is there a market for a GAA game like Subbuteo?

Started by Student Dissertation, June 25, 2013, 01:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 25, 2013, 03:42:11 PM
There actually was a 'hurling manager' type game released a few years ago on the PC. It had promise.

TELL US MORE......

AZOffaly

Janey I can't remember muich more. It was like Championship Manager. You trained your team, entered competitions, it played games like Championship Manager. It had promise, but was raw, like the older Championship Manager versions. It wasn't terribly slick, and there were lots of scores like 7-4 to 3-1 and things like that.

I bought it in my local centra. I'll see if I can dig up something..

Student Dissertation

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 25, 2013, 02:47:50 PM
How would a subbuteo type game work with GAA? The players would have to hold the ball as well? Be a hoor to count four flicks as well :) Or are you basically just talking about a Subbuteo soccer game with 15 players and county colours? What about point taking?

I loved Subbuteo myself AZ and had regular tournaments with friends!

Firstly, the players don't hold the ball but the 'technique/action' using the players allows for accurate and realistic, passing, point taking and of course rattling the onion bag. Also gives fans of dead ball kicking a great thrill!

My father designed this game for me and my brothers about 20 years ago. He actually took it to someone who felt it was a great game but because it was aimed at the GAA, it wouldn't be worthwhile.

Jinxy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 25, 2013, 03:26:19 PM
As the man says there's plenty of room in the market for board games. Families play them all the time, they bring young and old together in a way that I don't think computer games can.

You've obviously never seen me and my granny playing Fifa 2012.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

David McKeown

I remember playing a game like subueteo when I was a lad but the ball was magnetic and the players had magnets round their bases. It allowed you to play passes in the air or along the ground. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Mike Sheehy

Have a look for Aussie rules or Rugby board games. That might give some ideas. I did a quick search and didn't find much but you might be able to dig deeper.

Make sure to bring out a puke football version for the Ulster lads. It will sell like hot cakes.

Asal Mor

All I can say is that I'd love to play it. I loved Subbutteo too but unlike AZ I had no table to put the pitch on. We played it on the floor which was grand but the players kept getting squashed. A lot of the joy in Subbutteo was collecting the extra stuff, like the throw-in takers, the scoreboard, the yellow footballs etc. I remember my own pride and joy was a pristine Russian team in their CCCP red jerseys.

T Fearon

No subbuteo game was complete without the floodlights, always installed and switched on even though you were playing in the middle of the day! ;D

AZOffaly

Or the obligatory row over 'That was a push!!', 'No way, that was a flick'.