Top 5 books.

Started by nifan, July 25, 2007, 08:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurler on the Bitch

Re: the Paul McGrath book ... I felt tipsy reading it! It's not bad though... Filth by Irvine Welsh has to be thetop one in my book?

bennydorano

Just finished 'A Monk Swimming' by Malachy McCourt, excellent book and the followup 'Singing my him song' is on the way.  Have the Peter Kay autobioragphy, bit sh1te I thought.

Fav book probably the World According to Garp. Minds gone blank thinking of others I've read.

Balboa

When did Pete Mc Carthy die/what of? Mc Graths book is great, it is the anti- current football autobiography in that he tells the truth and does not blame everyone else for anything he has done, he had a rough oul upbringing.

Drumanee 1

dont read fiction mainly auto's and gangter books and the 1 i rate the best would be KILLING PABLO,unbelieveable book about the life of the worlds biggest gangster

magickingdom

killing pablo is a super book... theres a whole thread on jack o'connors book in the gaa section if anyone wants to dig it up and mcgrath book is a great read imo. dont have to be a soccer fan but what a life, scary sh1t...

5 Sams

Quote from: magickingdom on July 26, 2007, 03:14:10 PM
theres a whole thread on jack o'connors book in the gaa section if anyone wants to dig it up

Anseo

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=3433.0
The Aristocrat Years

T Fearon

For those of a certain age, the Dublin V Kerry book by Tom Humphries (detailing the 70s rivalry) is a super book which I read on holiday recently. Some fascinating facts that even I was unaware of. Eg RTE didn't even screen the Dublin Cork AI semi final in 1974 live but opted for the Horse Show instead, so low had GAA sank in the public's affections. I only realised fully how the emergence of these two great teams in the mid 70s rekindled the GAA, particularly in Dublin, and without them we may not have the super Croke Park stadium or GAA as we know it to-day. Among the best anecdotes is Kevin Moran's story of when he first came onto the Dublin panel as a teenager. He sat in a couple of places reserved for one or two of the more established Dubs and they told him to Fcuk off, when all of a sudden Mullins literally grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and said "Come over here , I'll look after ye!"

Also the first time he disclosed he was bound for Manchester United, when he burst into tears in Ballybunion, and explained to Bobby Doyle that he was going to miss all this. Doyle thought it was the drink talking when Moran explained he was going to Old Trafford

Fluffy Che

Great Expectations
The Wasp Factory
Hitchhikers  ( all of 'em )
Catcher in the Rye ( did'nt get this 1st time but...classic! )
Redemption Song - Joe Strummer Biog. (Fans only l guess but a top read.)
Midnight to Six..

magickingdom

Quote from: T Fearon on July 26, 2007, 04:32:47 PM
For those of a certain age, the Dublin V Kerry book by Tom Humphries (detailing the 70s rivalry) is a super book which I read on holiday recently. Some fascinating facts that even I was unaware of. Eg RTE didn't even screen the Dublin Cork AI semi final in 1974 live but opted for the Horse Show instead, so low had GAA sank in the public's affections. I only realised fully how the emergence of these two great teams in the mid 70s rekindled the GAA, particularly in Dublin, and without them we may not have the super Croke Park stadium or GAA as we know it to-day. Among the best anecdotes is Kevin Moran's story of when he first came onto the Dublin panel as a teenager. He sat in a couple of places reserved for one or two of the more established Dubs and they told him to Fcuk off, when all of a sudden Mullins literally grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and said "Come over here , I'll look after ye!"

Also the first time he disclosed he was bound for Manchester United, when he burst into tears in Ballybunion, and explained to Bobby Doyle that he was going to miss all this. Doyle thought it was the drink talking when Moran explained he was going to Old Trafford

super read tony, some great one liners..  in one of his first games when jacko was taken off "cause jacko wasnt jacko yet" or the game in NY when dr. pat o neill broke jimmy deenihans nose and they were looking for a doctor in the dressing room and some dub shouted "hes already seen a doctor!".

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Balboa on July 26, 2007, 11:37:17 AM
When did Pete Mc Carthy die/what of? Mc Graths book is great, it is the anti- current football autobiography in that he tells the truth and does not blame everyone else for anything he has done, he had a rough oul upbringing.

A couple of years ago of a heart attack i think..A brilliant writer though
You'll Never Walk Alone.

john mcgill

Pete Mccarthy died of cancer.  Great guy, i wrote to him and have a McCarty's Bar postcard with his reply on it.  Great book

pintsofguinness

QuoteHave the Peter Kay autobioragphy, bit sh1te I thought.
Read it myself, thought it was grand, a light read but some of the stuff was the same as his stand up shows.  I was disappointed with the way he ended it too...he'll have another one coming out.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Balboa

I really enjoyed Kerry Katona's autobiography,a really powerful piece of literature.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Balboa on July 26, 2007, 11:14:27 PM
I really enjoyed Kerry Katona's autobiography,a really powerful piece of literature.

Im sure it's right up there with Jordans and David Beckhams
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stephenite

Quote from: magickingdom on July 26, 2007, 10:27:57 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 26, 2007, 04:32:47 PM

super read tony, some great one liners..  in one of his first games when jacko was taken off "cause jacko wasnt jacko yet" or the game in NY when dr. pat o neill broke jimmy denihens nose and they were looking for a doctor in the dressing room and some dub shouted "hes already seen a doctor!".

Some classics indeed, loved the one where in the lead up to the game, right before the parade and Paidi is going mental with nerves, pure psyched and John Egan taps him on the shoulder - "where are we going tonight Paidi"  :D

Fave books - Killing Pablo; The Kiterunner; A Prayer for Owen Meaney; Spycatcher; Life of Pi to name but a few