Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

I remember when Man Utd used to be a football club.  I went to Old Trafford in 1993 to see them playing Spurs and there were protestors outside the ground agitating against Martin Edwards because they felt he  cared more about money than the spirit of the game. 

That was the river.

This is the sea

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/89efd904-e91e-11e0-9817-00144feab49a.html#ixzz1a12pGVHX

The money Manchester United can make from exploiting its fan base will "dwarf" the income it has been acquiring from sponsorship deals, Richard Arnold, the Premier League champions' commercial director predictedOfficials have in recent weeks closed the latest of several deals with credit card companies that will enable United to earn income directly from their fans around the world. The club makes money when the Manchester United branded cards are first activated, during their general use and whenever the user incurrs charges.

Up until now, United has expanded its commercial income from high-profile deals such as the £80m shirt sponsorship with US insurance group Aon, and the £40m training kit deal with logistics company DHL . United last season earned £103.4m in commercial revenues, up 27 per cent on the previous season.

But Mr Arnold said the club had not yet taken its fanbase "and put that into a money-making machine".

Boycey

Fixed that for you  ;). United maybe be the biggest business but every club right down to league 2 and beyond are striving to get into the same position.

Quote from: seafoid on October 06, 2011, 04:30:24 PM
I remember when football used to be a game not a business.  I went to Old Trafford in 1993 to see them playing Spurs and there were protestors outside the ground agitating against Martin Edwards because they felt he  cared more about money than the spirit of the game. 

That was the river.

This is the sea

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/89efd904-e91e-11e0-9817-00144feab49a.html#ixzz1a12pGVHX

The money Manchester United can make from exploiting its fan base will "dwarf" the income it has been acquiring from sponsorship deals, Richard Arnold, the Premier League champions' commercial director predictedOfficials have in recent weeks closed the latest of several deals with credit card companies that will enable United to earn income directly from their fans around the world. The club makes money when the Manchester United branded cards are first activated, during their general use and whenever the user incurrs charges.

Up until now, United has expanded its commercial income from high-profile deals such as the £80m shirt sponsorship with US insurance group Aon, and the £40m training kit deal with logistics company DHL . United last season earned £103.4m in commercial revenues, up 27 per cent on the previous season.

But Mr Arnold said the club had not yet taken its fanbase "and put that into a money-making machine".

All of a Sludden

Wayne Rooney's Dad said today that his Son's straight red card was 'completely undeserved' when he'll be sent off in the 63rd minute against Montenegro tomorrow night.

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

new devil

AZOffaly

Terrible news. Best of luck to him.

Declan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15205423

Manchester United snaps up Tony Dunne's medals -
How times have changed. I know the amounts Rooney etc get is unreal but just to remind people what it was like for older guys

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Declan on October 07, 2011, 02:13:04 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15205423

Manchester United snaps up Tony Dunne's medals -
How times have changed. I know the amounts Rooney etc get is unreal but just to remind people what it was like for older guys
Glad to see the club snap them up, other clubs should take note, could they not have done this earlier and saved him the indignity of having an auction though?

stew

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 06, 2011, 03:46:33 PM
Trying to remember what everyone said about the Terry family when his dad got arrested? What was it? Family of scum or something like that? Does the same rules apply? Just wondering like.

If his da is guilty then yeah the same rules do apply.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Minder on October 07, 2011, 02:27:11 PM
Quote from: Rouge_Diablo on October 07, 2011, 01:25:38 PM
Gordon McQueen diagnosed with cancer

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Former-Manchester-United-and-Scotland-defender-Gordon-McQueen-diagnosed-with-cancer-of-the-larynx-article808961.html

Heard him commentating on Sky a few weeks ago and he sounded really hoarse, obvious now.
Was gonna post the same thing, knowing McQueen I thought he was after a night on the tear!!

Hoof Hearted

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

new devil

Evra and Young off injured playing for there countries... f**king hate international football  :-\