Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanderson

If United were to sign 2 players in January that could get us back to European spots realistically who would yous want? Mine would be Bruno Fernandes and a CB like Varane/Kimpembe/Sule

Ambrose

Quote from: Look-Up! on November 25, 2019, 04:10:11 PM
There is a very good manager available at the moment with no buy out fee. He has interest from abroad and Arsenal and Everton will probably be on the look out soon. It's worth at least considering.

You can't live off history and tradition forever

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/08/alex-ferguson-retires-manchester-united

Ferguson retires after 26 years as Manchester United manager
Last game in charge will be on May 19th before he joins board of the club

First published: Wed, May 8, 2013, 08:00

Sir Alex Ferguson will retire as Manchester United manager at the end of the season in the 27th year of a tenure that has made him the most successful in British football.
While he will become a United director and ambassador, the executive are now charged with having to appoint the successor to a man who has won 13 league titles, two Champions Leagues, the Cup Winners' Cup, five FA Cups and four League Cups. In February, Ed Woodward, the incoming chief executive, said there was plan in place for when the Scot did step down.
Regarding his decision, Ferguson said: "The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly. It is the right time. It was important to me to leave an organisation in the strongest possible shape and I believe I have done so. The quality of this league winning squad, and the balance of ages within it, bodes well for continued success at the highest level whilst the structure of the youth set-up will ensure that the long- term future of the club remains a bright one.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Look-Up!

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 25, 2019, 05:51:45 PM
Unfortunately for Utd fans that game is typical of their performances at the moment. They have undoubted quality in their squad and for 10 minutes in that game when they got a run on Sheffield they looked like they could score for fun. But the rest of the time they were abysmal. I thought if they had kept going after the 3rd goal they would have won 4-2.
Midfield was terrible. And no one to hold the ball up front. Jones a target for opposition tactics. Fair play to Sheffield, they played great stuff and out-muscled them for long spells but they are essentially a championship outfit and shouldn't be able to knock the ball around like RM against a club like Utd. McTominay and Pogba will improve things and I think there are big performances in them and they should be well up for the City/Spurs matches coming up and may well pick up points, but I just cannot see where the consistency will come from.
January transfer window should see some improvements but I think the wrong man is at the helm. The performance against Liverpool, the 10 minute spell yesterday, these are only papering over the cracks IMO and prolonging the inevitable. There is a very good manager available at the moment with no buy out fee. He has interest from abroad and Arsenal and Everton will probably be on the look out soon. It's worth at least considering. After that who are the other options if they decide to limp on till summer?

Ya but when they sat back I was fearful that the equaliser was coming. The VAR decision was close but probably right for that goal but it's absolutely inexplicable how the first goal wasn't disallowed. You can say Jones is crap, Jones was weak etc but he was fouled. Overall though United were really bad for 70 minutes and should be happy with a draw after that. When things were going bad I was delighted to see how pissed off Maguire was. Thought James again was a real positive. Martial seemed to be in one of his sulky moods. McTominay is now a huge loss when he's not there.

I'm hoping for reinforcements in January but not holding my breath.

Agree with most of that. I thought they sat back and gave the initiative back for sure. McTominay has a bit of physicality and courage which is otherwise lacking in the midfield area. Pogba for all his faults doesn't get pushed off the ball either. At first glance I thought the last goal would be disallowed but in the replay from the near side angle he clearly leads with his shoulder and it's a goal all day for me. I'll disagree for the Jones incident. For me it's a goal all day long too. Jones gets muscled out of it, pure and simple. His body position for protecting the ball is wrong IMO. He shows too much of the ball goal side to the attacker and lets him in to challenge. He should have been covering goal side more with his body to force the attacker onto his right.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Ambrose on November 25, 2019, 06:20:59 PM
There is a very good manager available at the moment with no buy out fee. He has interest from abroad and Arsenal and Everton will probably be on the look out soon. It's worth at least considering.

:D

Maroon Manc

Unfortunately for Utd fans that game is typical of their performances at the moment. They have undoubted quality in their squad and for 10 minutes in that game when they got a run on Sheffield they looked like they could score for fun. But the rest of the time they were abysmal. I thought if they had kept going after the 3rd goal they would have won 4-2.
Midfield was terrible. And no one to hold the ball up front. Jones a target for opposition tactics. Fair play to Sheffield, they played great stuff and out-muscled them for long spells but they are essentially a championship outfit and shouldn't be able to knock the ball around like RM against a club like Utd. McTominay and Pogba will improve things and I think there are big performances in them and they should be well up for the City/Spurs matches coming up and may well pick up points, but I just cannot see where the consistency will come from.
January transfer window should see some improvements but I think the wrong man is at the helm. The performance against Liverpool, the 10 minute spell yesterday, these are only papering over the cracks IMO and prolonging the inevitable. There is a very good manager available at the moment with no buy out fee. He has interest from abroad and Arsenal and Everton will probably be on the look out soon. It's worth at least considering. After that who are the other options if they decide to limp on till summer?

Ya but when they sat back I was fearful that the equaliser was coming. The VAR decision was close but probably right for that goal but it's absolutely inexplicable how the first goal wasn't disallowed. You can say Jones is crap, Jones was weak etc but he was fouled. Overall though United were really bad for 70 minutes and should be happy with a draw after that. When things were going bad I was delighted to see how pissed off Maguire was. Thought James again was a real positive. Martial seemed to be in one of his sulky moods. McTominay is now a huge loss when he's not there.

Did they mention it at all, watched the game in the pub and assumed the goal would be disallowed when I saw the foul.

Pereira not up to it yet has played nearly in every game this season which shows the state of United's midfield. I think Ole mentioned possibly bringing players in on loan in January which makes sense given its unlikely he'll get his first choices.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 26, 2019, 12:47:13 PM

Did they mention it at all, watched the game in the pub and assumed the goal would be disallowed when I saw the foul.

Pereira not up to it yet has played nearly in every game this season which shows the state of United's midfield. I think Ole mentioned possibly bringing players in on loan in January which makes sense given its unlikely he'll get his first choices.

This is exactly the point. Jones might have been weak or in the wrong position or any number of other things but it was as clear a foul as you'll ever see.

United do need a few players in and better to get guys on loan that wasting money in a pressure situation.

Look-Up!

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 26, 2019, 05:03:23 PM

This is exactly the point. Jones might have been weak or in the wrong position or any number of other things but it was as clear a foul as you'll ever see.

United do need a few players in and better to get guys on loan that wasting money in a pressure situation.

I really don't know about that Seanie. I watched it in slow mo from a few different angles and it's just a shoulder charge. The ball is not protected so there to be won. Sure some refs may give it but Jones is extremely weak in the challenge. There has to be some bit of physicality in the game. Defender in that position has to cover the ball and see it out or otherwise draw the foul with a challenge from behind. 

GJL

Quote from: Look-Up! on November 26, 2019, 05:55:58 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 26, 2019, 05:03:23 PM

I really don't know about that Seanie. I watched it in slow mo from a few different angles and it's just a shoulder charge. The ball is not protected so there to be won. Sure some refs may give it but Jones is extremely weak in the challenge. There has to be some bit of physicality in the game. Defender in that position has to cover the ball and see it out or otherwise draw the foul with a challenge from behind.

Shoulder to shoulder. Fair enough I thought. Jones should be embarrassed.

Boycey

Travelling squad for Thursday's match

Lee Grant, Matej Kovar, Max Taylor, Luke Shaw, Axel Tuanzebe, Dylan Levitt, Teden Mengi, DiShon Bernard, Largie Ramazani, Ethan Laird, Ethan Galbraith, Arnau Puigmal, D'Mani Bughail-Mellor, James Garner, Jesse Lingard, Tahith Chong, Angel Gomes, Mason Greenwood.

I'm sure Lingard is chuffed ;D. Max Taylor was diagnosed with cancer this time last year ..

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Boycey on November 26, 2019, 10:02:55 PM

Lee Grant, Matej Kovar, Max Taylor, Luke Shaw, Axel Tuanzebe, Dylan Levitt, Teden Mengi, DiShon Bernard, Largie Ramazani, Ethan Laird, Ethan Galbraith, Arnau Puigmal, D'Mani Bughail-Mellor, James Garner, Jesse Lingard, Tahith Chong, Angel Gomes, Mason Greenwood.

I'm sure Lingard is chuffed ;D. Max Taylor was diagnosed with cancer this time last year ..

He won't care a leg. Since he signed that 100k a week contract he doesn't care. That's him set for life. Pretty much everything that's wrong with the modern footballer is in Jesse Lingard, which is a pity as when he was hungry he was a mountain of energy at the very least something not a million miles off Park Ji Sung. But he's lost it now.

magpie seanie

He should be chuffed. He's getting to play for Manchester United. Some good players in that squad. Will be interesting to see how they do.

nrico2006

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 27, 2019, 09:23:21 AM

He won't care a leg. Since he signed that 100k a week contract he doesn't care. That's him set for life. Pretty much everything that's wrong with the modern footballer is in Jesse Lingard, which is a pity as when he was hungry he was a mountain of energy at the very least something not a million miles off Park Ji Sung. But he's lost it now.

Did he not sign that contract nearly 3 years ago?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GetOverTheBar

Was end of season in 2017 was it not. So last year crap....this year not much better, probably even worse. He's been ruined. There may have even been an extension in meantime.

NAG1

Problem is if you asked him where is his best position could he even tell you himself?

Completely out of sorts and looks like a waste of potential and talent unfortunately.