What's your relationship with alcohol?

Started by Boycey, October 12, 2018, 11:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetiredRessie

I am that person, who is always forcing another drink on people, be it my mates in the bar or girlfriend when out for a meal. I've never actually realised to i read this thread.

I have learnt a lot from this thread and advice took on board.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: RetiredRessie on October 23, 2018, 12:51:43 PM
I am that person, who is always forcing another drink on people, be it my mates in the bar or girlfriend when out for a meal. I've never actually realised to i read this thread.

Good man. It's probably one of these types of behaviour that people just don't realise they're doing until someone calls them out on it, and it becomes normal if enough people do it. If you see someone else at it, call them out too.

thebuzz

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 23, 2018, 07:35:42 PM
Quote from: RetiredRessie on October 23, 2018, 12:51:43 PM

Good man. It's probably one of these types of behaviour that people just don't realise they're doing until someone calls them out on it, and it becomes normal if enough people do it. If you see someone else at it, call them out too.
My father didn't start drinking until he was nearly 40. Then he went daft for years.
If he had money he was always forcing drink on anyone and everyone in the pub. If he didn't have money he got a couple of quid of me ma. He called it 'Latch money' as it got him started and others would sometimes buy for him.
I started drinking at 15 and luckily my mother didn't find out until I was 19 when I told her myself.
She begged me not to do one thing - force drink on other people. I offer once and if someone say no that's it.

BennyCake

Heard it said a few times too - never be the person to buy someone their first dRInk

paddyjohn

I've read this thread with interest and it's good to read other people's thoughts on it. Personally I am one of those who can take or leave a pint, my own demons don't allow me to over indulge anymore as the mood darkens and it's mental torture for a few days. I've learned a lot over the 6/8 weeks about drink and the damage it can do and it's not until it lands on your own doorstep that it hits home. A close personal friend of mine is going through hell at the minute, so much so that she ended up in hospital and onwards to Newry.

Anybody who feels like their drinking is out of control, please get help before it's to late.

extra time

I drank my share when i was younger but just at weekends, but found hangovers and depression went hand in hand as i got older. I made a life changing decision nearly 5 years ago and gave up totally. It was hard at first getting the message through to people that i actually dident want any drink, especially those closest to me. Thankfully its accepted now and i am thoroughly enjoying life alcohol free.
Little things like being able to hire a car on holiday with no pressure, to waking up on Monday morning sensible and fit for work. My hangovers used to make little unimportant things seem like the end of the world but thankfully thats all gone and every day is the same now. I just want to let people know that giving up, even though it was difficult, was well worth the effort.

Ambrose

Anyone else drinking more than usual during this lockdown?

I've never been a man for the pub and would only have had the occasional Brandy on a Saturday night after dinner, two or three home measures at most, but I find myself drinking four or five nights a week over the last month or so. I can't say that I'm overly worried about the current crisis. I was in Madrid for the Atletico game and had to self isolate for a while, but I had no symptoms other than a cough which I get every year, but I am slightly concerned at the amount I'm drinking, probably two bottles of brandy a week.

I don't doubt I could stop if I wanted to or really needed to, but I am enjoying it. My late brother always warned me that if I was to start drinking later in life that it could be a problem, maybe that's what's nagging me.

Thoughts?
You can't live off history and tradition forever

screenexile

Quote from: Ambrose on April 17, 2020, 02:18:12 PM

I've never been a man for the pub and would only have had the occasional Brandy on a Saturday night after dinner, two or three home measures at most, but I find myself drinking four or five nights a week over the last month or so. I can't say that I'm overly worried about the current crisis. I was in Madrid for the Atletico game and had to self isolate for a while, but I had no symptoms other than a cough which I get every year, but I am slightly concerned at the amount I'm drinking, probably two bottles of brandy a week.

I don't doubt I could stop if I wanted to or really needed to, but I am enjoying it. My late brother always warned me that if I was to start drinking later in life that it could be a problem, maybe that's what's nagging me.

Thoughts?

I'm drinking way less!!! I'm a social drinker don't really drink in the house and I'd only go to the pub if one of my mates was heading over so it's not really a big thought for me at the minute. I miss the pubs being open if I'm honest for the craic.

My wife is definitely drinking more during the lockdown... she'll drink anywhere!!

GetOverTheBar

Thoughts?

I've noticed that friends beit private or on whatsapp groups have a lot more activity around midnight during the week these days.....it would appear you are not alone.

marty34

Thoughts?

Maybe the good weather encourages people to drink more and obviously, more time on our hands these days.

seafoid

I put alcohol in a few recipes and drink the odd glass of wine.
I have had the same bottle of whiskey since 2014.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

LeoMc

With working from home I am drinking every Friday and Saturday night, albeit 2-3 cans, just to differentiate the weekend from the rest of the week.

imtommygunn

Tony Baloney

Quote from: LeoMc on April 17, 2020, 03:07:18 PM
With working from home I am drinking every Friday and Saturday night, albeit 2-3 cans, just to differentiate the weekend from the rest of the week.
Same but plenty seem to be working during the week. I would have worked from home a day or 2 a month prior to this so I'd have been more used to the routine of it than others in work. I have always treated it like another work day albeit with a bit of a lie-in. Get up and get dressed and go about your usual weekday and weekend routine  I've heard in work there have been a few video calls with people wearing pyjamas and dressing gowns!

Milltown Row2

2 bottle of beers after 5 ish, nothing till after 9pm and then a couple glasses of red wine!

Its the Chocolate I'm worried about, the beast never stops!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea