Derry/Londonderry

Started by slippery dodger, January 30, 2018, 12:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slippery dodger

A BBC Radio Ulster News report last night gave a Derry GAA result as Londonderry. Just felt it was obvious antagonization of the nationalists of Derry. Everybody interested in a GAA result would refer to Derry as "Derry". No need to call it anything else. What are yer thoughts on this? Am I reading too much into it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjwtSRPVQL8

Orior

Quote from: slippery dodger on January 30, 2018, 12:00:38 AM
A BBC Radio Ulster News report last night gave a Derry GAA result as Londonderry. Just felt it was obvious antagonization of the nationalists of Derry. Everybody interested in a GAA result would refer to Derry as "Derry". No need to call it anything else. What are yer thoughts on this? Am I reading too much into it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjwtSRPVQL8

That cannot be serious.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Itchy

armaghniac

Coat trailing.
Any team should be known by its name, talking about Bayern Munchen or Bavaria Munich is nonsense.

https://youtu.be/fjEkjeVzL34?t=66
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Ffs little to worry about.Is it not BBC policy to refer to Derry as Londonderry alternately? Some newsreader without any GAA knowledge just doing his or her job.

scout

Would they have referred to a game between e.g. Derry City- Shamrock Rovers as Londonderry City-Shamrock Rovers?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: T Fearon on January 30, 2018, 07:40:33 AM
Ffs little to worry about.Is it not BBC policy to refer to Derry as Londonderry alternately? Some newsreader without any GAA knowledge just doing his or her job.

Ah here, they usually read what's put in front of them. As the OP said it was a GAA result.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: slippery dodger on January 30, 2018, 12:00:38 AM

My sense would be that you're not reading too much into it - the only other explanation is that it is someone from outside who has no understanding of the local 'nuances', and is working for Radio Ulster, and I'd reckon that's a long shot.

I recall a similar issue going way back, to the 1987 Christmas Edition of the Radio Times. Yet again it was Radio Ulster, and they were having a programme which was reviewing the 1987 GAA Year, and there was a small photo from that year's Ulster Final alongside the programme listing, where "Londonderry were playing Cavan".   

Rossfan

Quote from: scout on January 30, 2018, 08:24:38 AM
Would they have referred to a game between e.g. Derry City- Shamrock Rovers as Londonderry City-Shamrock Rovers?
What do they call the Council?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

HiMucker

Will Id guess that the reason these results are read out on BCC Radio Ulster is because a lot of their listeners are interested in the results.  So you have the bizarre situation were a radio station on one hand has made a decision to have  content for the benefit of their listeners, and then a presenter on other who has tried to offend same said listeners while presenting this content.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Rossfan on January 30, 2018, 09:35:06 AM
Quote from: scout on January 30, 2018, 08:24:38 AM
What do they call the Council?

Derry City & Strabane District Council.

screenexile

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 30, 2018, 08:35:41 AM

Ah here, they usually read what's put in front of them. As the OP said it was a GAA result.

She didn't read out what was put in front of her . . .

Quote"I am responding to your complaint about our 1800 radio bulletin on Sunday 28th January.

I can confirm that our newsreader accidentally misnamed Derry GAA. Although the title Derry was in the script, due to human error our newsreader made an on air adjustment as she read the name.

We fully accept that the correct title of the county board is Derry and apologise for the mistake."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on January 30, 2018, 10:19:13 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 30, 2018, 08:35:41 AM

She didn't read out what was put in front of her . . .

Quote"I am responding to your complaint about our 1800 radio bulletin on Sunday 28th January.

I can confirm that our newsreader accidentally misnamed Derry GAA. Although the title Derry was in the script, due to human error our newsreader made an on air adjustment as she read the name.

We fully accept that the correct title of the county board is Derry and apologise for the mistake."

A slip of the tongue as they say.. but lets string her up, and I'm not being sexist  ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

If BBC NI didn't have this draconian policy of making its employees use the term "Londonderry" then this probably wouldn't have happened. Most people just say Derry, only Uber Unionists use the long word

T Fearon

Presumably there is also great offence taken at London's involvement in the NFL Div 4 and Connacht Championship🙄