Lions Tour

Started by bennydorano, June 03, 2017, 07:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Warren Gatland has not "quit" as coach of the British Lions.

The British Lions appoint a coach in advance of each tour, and once all official duties in relation to that tour have concluded, they are no longer the coach of the British Lions.

Warren Gatland has not been the coach of the British Lions since all official duties in relation to the 2017 tour concluded in July.

There has been no coach of the British Lions since then, and there will not be until the announcement of the coach for the 2021 tour of South Africa is made, most likely in 2020.

Syferus

Quote from: sid waddell on October 18, 2017, 06:59:50 PM

The British Lions appoint a coach in advance of each tour, and once all official duties in relation to that tour have concluded, they are no longer the coach of the British Lions.

Warren Gatland has not been the coach of the British Lions since all official duties in relation to the 2017 tour concluded in July.

There has been no coach of the British Lions since then, and there will not be until the announcement of the coach for the 2021 tour of South Africa is made, most likely in 2020.

Weird tact to take. He quit.

square_ball

Yeah he had no job to quit to be fair.

GetOverTheBar

Unbeaten as Lions coach, he was a cert for South Africa gig - I'd have that down as quit.

Hardy

Quote from: Syferus on October 18, 2017, 07:22:43 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 18, 2017, 06:59:50 PM

Weird tact to take. He quit.

What?

AZOffaly

Hardy, are you picking up on one of my pet peeves?

Hardy

I didn't know it was, but if so you're no longer alone.

AZOffaly

It's worse when it's spoken. I know I'm a pedant, but I hate it. It's like 'effect' and 'affect'.

square_ball

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 19, 2017, 10:50:14 AM
Unbeaten as Lions coach, he was a cert for South Africa gig - I'd have that down as quit.

But he was appointed for the Australia tour. That gig was over then he got the New Zealand tour. As of now there is no management team in place for the South Africa. He has simply ruled himself out of the running for that job.

Syferus

Quote from: square_ball on October 19, 2017, 04:06:15 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 19, 2017, 10:50:14 AM

But he was appointed for the Australia tour. That gig was over then he got the New Zealand tour. As of now there is no management team in place for the South Africa. He has simply ruled himself out of the running for that job.

It was a running of one person.

GetOverTheBar

Who is the next manager of the Lions then?

Eddie Jones? Schmidt? Mark McCall???

AZOffaly

Lads it would be like Brian Cody not putting his name forward when his next term is up. Officially he'd just be ruling himself out of the running for the appointment, but in reality he'd be resigning/retiring.

screenexile

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 20, 2017, 10:24:52 AM
Who is the next manager of the Lions then?

Eddie Jones? Schmidt? Mark McCall???

I'd say that's your shortlist right there if any of them want it!

square_ball

Appointment of Lions manager is a different setup entirely to that of appointing a county manager. At this moment in time there is no lions manager - Gatland or anyone else. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one!!

Syferus

Quote from: square_ball on October 20, 2017, 11:10:10 AM
Appointment of Lions manager is a different setup entirely to that of appointing a county manager. At this moment in time there is no lions manager - Gatland or anyone else. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one!!

Gatland won a tour and drew in NZ of all places - the job was his to say no to. There's no agreeing to disagree here to be honest, you simply took a semantic approach to this rather one rooted in common sense.