Tyrone v Donegal - Sunday 18th June at 2pm

Started by Fuzzman, May 29, 2017, 10:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Perhaps I should say he is finished in the role Donegal have played him in.  ::)

The days of being a superhero and box to box are gone

redhandofgod

Surprised there has been no chat about Karl Lacey's hair! Some job lol

twohands!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSNM6jxqSxQ

Match on YouTube

Compare and contrast Tyrone's defending and tackling in the first 10/12 minutes compared to Donegal's

Note the difference in terms of putting pressure on the player shooting -  even when a Donegal player did get space to get their shot off, Tyrone still had players diving in to try and make the block/distract the kicker. When you compare it to the pressure that Donegal were putting on the Tyrone players shooting, it was world's apart.

This wasn't when the game had gone away from them later on - this was from the get-go from Donegal. Woeful stuff.

rosnarun

Murphy is not finished but hes not the player The donegal managment think he is. hes a good full forward  and an excellent free taker. but not an intercounty midfielder at the highest leverl.
as for Ryan machugh what about Mark  or even Eoin ? does this latest batch of Mchughs have a very short shelf lives?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

J70

Quote from: rosnarun on June 19, 2017, 03:33:26 PM
Murphy is not finished but hes not the player The donegal managment think he is. hes a good full forward  and an excellent free taker. but not an intercounty midfielder at the highest leverl.
as for Ryan machugh what about Mark  or even Eoin ? does this latest batch of Mchughs have a very short shelf lives?

Ryan was an all star last year!

Players have bad games. Players lose form. Players get bypassed in matches due to circumstances beyond their control. Players come up against a direct opponent who can nullify their influence in a particular match. Doesn't mean he has a short shelf life at the age of 23.

And Eoin sliced through the Tyrone defence at a point when the game was level and screwed his shot wide. Had he stuck the goal away, possibly affecting how the match would subsequently unfold, would you be asking the above? The lad is only starting his second season of championship football!

J70

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 19, 2017, 03:18:33 PM

Match on YouTube

Compare and contrast Tyrone's defending and tackling in the first 10/12 minutes compared to Donegal's

Note the difference in terms of putting pressure on the player shooting -  even when a Donegal player did get space to get their shot off, Tyrone still had players diving in to try and make the block/distract the kicker. When you compare it to the pressure that Donegal were putting on the Tyrone players shooting, it was world's apart.

This wasn't when the game had gone away from them later on - this was from the get-go from Donegal. Woeful stuff.

It was evident from early on that Tyrone were able to get into scoring positions much, much easier and much more quickly.

It'll be interesting in the future to hear what the build-up and preparation for this game from a Donegal perspective involved. 

Short term, McGuinness in the Times should be an good read this week!

I don't want to be TOO hard on Gallagher, as this is a team in transition with a lot of inexperience and plainly a ton of work to be done to get us back to the top level, but it is ironic, based on what we've seen over the past three seasons, to think that way back when, there were those who thought that Gallagher was the tactical brains of the partnership.

twohands!!!

Quote from: J70 on June 19, 2017, 03:50:28 PM

Match on YouTube

It was evident from early on that Tyrone were able to get into scoring positions much, much easier.

It'll be interesting in the future to hear what the build-up and preparation for this game from a Donegal perspective involved. 

I don't want to be TOO hard on Gallagher, as this is a team in transition with a lot of inexperience and plainly a ton of work to be done to get us back to the top level, but it is ironic, based on what we've seen over the past three seasons, to think that way back when, there were those who thought that Gallagher was the tactical brains of the partnership.

Get out of my head - was just thinking that as well.

He normally treads a fair delicate line on Donegal matters.

The thing is tactics/strategy don't matter a damm if your opponent's players are hungry for the game and your players aren't.

yellowcard

Match on YouTube

It was evident from early on that Tyrone were able to get into scoring positions much, much easier and much more quickly.

I think McGuinness will be secretly delighted with this result as he has made no bones about his falling out with Gallagher in the past.

However I think Gallagher's biggest problem was that he over achieved with this team in the league. They aren't as bad as they looked yesterday but they are well short of where they were 3-4 years ago. It was a horrible style of football that McGuinness inflicted on gaelic football that is still pervading the game at all levels and age groups today, however you can't deny that he was a visionary with a serious set of balls to carry the plan through to a successful conclusion despite all of the negative headlines it brought. He was the ultra pragmatist whereas I think Gallagher is a bit more concerned with how others perceive his football philosophy to be.   

J70

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 19, 2017, 03:55:58 PM

Match on YouTube

It was evident from early on that Tyrone were able to get into scoring positions much, much easier.

Get out of my head - was just thinking that as well.

He normally treads a fair delicate line on Donegal matters.

The thing is tactics/strategy don't matter a damm if your opponent's players are hungry for the game and your players aren't.

That's what Rory Gallagher seemed to claim anyway.

If so, it begs the question just what did they think they were walking into and how prepared were they? Was there complacency after the Antrim game? These meetings with Tyrone have been ferocious affairs even when Donegal were in the ascendency. I don't think hunger and effort was ever an issue for Tyrone against us when they were on the wane and then in transition (wasn't much chance of an all-in mill yesterday when apart from those couple of neck grabs late on there was barely a glove laid on anyone!). It should be a severe wake-up call to any player that thinks being good enough for your county team and strong and courageous enough to win things at county level are the same thing.

omagh_gael

I couldn't believe the space Donegal left between their HB line and FB line. Reminded me a bit of the 2014 Dublin v Donegal game when Donegal exploited that space with the long kick out and moving extremely fast into that space.

J70

Quote from: yellowcard on June 19, 2017, 04:01:37 PM

Match on YouTube

I think McGuinness will be secretly delighted with this result as he has made no bones about his falling out with Gallagher in the past.

However I think Gallagher's biggest problem was that he over achieved with this team in the league. They aren't as bad as they looked yesterday but they are well short of where they were 3-4 years ago. It was a horrible style of football that McGuinness inflicted on gaelic football that is still pervading the game at all levels and age groups today, however you can't deny that he was a visionary with a serious set of balls to carry the plan through to a successful conclusion despite all of the negative headlines it brought. He was the ultra pragmatist whereas I think Gallagher is a bit more concerned with how others perceive his football philosophy to be.

Maybe we need to be a bit more patient in that respect, as most of us would be happy enough to see more adventurous football, but there didn't seem to be any kind of plan yesterday. Loose, non-existent defending. Channeling everything through the middle of the pitch in the Tyrone half, a tactic which failed utterly against them last year. No kick-out strategy beyond hit-and-hope once Tyrone pushed up on the backs.

twohands!!!

Quote from: J70 on June 19, 2017, 04:03:28 PM

That's what Rory Gallagher seemed to claim anyway.

If so, it begs the question just what did they think they were walking into and how prepared were they? Was there complacency after the Antrim game? These meetings with Tyrone have been ferocious affairs even when Donegal were in the ascendency. I don't think hunger and effort was ever an issue for Tyrone against us when they were on the wane and then in transition (wasn't much chance of an all-in mill yesterday when apart from those couple of neck grabs late on there was barely a glove laid on anyone!). It should be a severe wake-up call to any player that thinks being good enough for your county team and strong and courageous enough to win things at county level are the same thing.

Crazy if he thinks this absolves him of blame - it's not just tactics that are a manager's responsibility.

Taylor

As someone said the big issue was how well Donegal done in the league.
This raised all expectations and left us almost coming in a bit under the radar.

Surely Donegal cant be as flat again

BluestackBoy

Nothing much to add to what has already been said, a poor performance against a super Tyrone outfit & I'd say a lot of lessons will be learned.

For a young team to be out muscled in the way Donegal were is not that surprising. What was disappointing was the lack of intensity & the lack of leadership from big name players. To lose is one thing, to lose without putting up a fight is worrying.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

omaghjoe

Even tho we were missing from the final for a few years we were seriously competitive during that time, which is a good state of affairs considering the "transition" It took big performances for Donegal o beat us and it feels like we have come out the other side of it now.

Since 2011 have Donegal Tyrone or Monaghan beaten the other two in one year, I dont think they have?