Drugs in UK sports....

Started by muppet, June 09, 2015, 01:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: Main Street on March 02, 2017, 10:06:37 AM
British Cycling and Team Sky credibility in tatters after hearing.

"The record-keeping failure exposed in the saga of the Jiffy Bag delivered to Wiggins in 2011 undermines everything Brailsford and co have said about drugs"

(why the capital letters for jiffy bag?)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/mar/02/british-cycling-team-sky-dave-brailsford-credibility-tatters

Personally, I don't see why Team Sky cannot be found guilty by default, in the same way a competitor can be found guilty when avoiding an impromptu compulsory drug test (Rio Ferdinand - went shopping, forgot).  There's no proof of drug abuse but there's a strict duty of care to be available to prove your innocence. Sky have clearly not followed duty of care procedure,  therefore guilt by default.
Jiffy is a brand name so it the first letter is capitalised. What it contains was IFFY.

Taylor

Main Street

Quote from: LeoMc on March 07, 2017, 10:54:56 AM

"The record-keeping failure exposed in the saga of the Jiffy Bag delivered to Wiggins in 2011 undermines everything Brailsford and co have said about drugs"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/mar/02/british-cycling-team-sky-dave-brailsford-credibility-tatters

Personally, I don't see why Team Sky cannot be found guilty by default, in the same way a competitor can be found guilty when avoiding an impromptu compulsory drug test (Rio Ferdinand - went shopping, forgot).  There's no proof of drug abuse but there's a strict duty of care to be available to prove your innocence. Sky have clearly not followed duty of care procedure,  therefore guilt by default.
Jiffy is a brand name so it the first letter is capitalised. What it contains was IFFY.
The J-iffy bag

Asal Mor

Totally agree. Brailsford has also been caught out lying twice about the package, before eventually coming up with a 3rd excuse(Fluimicil) which defies logic. It can't be disproven, but only be cause Sky didn't keep(or destroyed) proper records. Apparently Freeman could be in trouble with the medical council over the saga because obviously doctors are required to keep records of drugs that they administer to people.

If it were a case of trial by jury, Sky wouldn't have a chance.

JimStynes

So what was actually in the Jiffy bag?

Asal Mor

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 26, 2017, 09:48:45 AM
Big story about salazar in the sunday times today which doesn't look good for him or farah.
Salazar sounds like a total chemist. He was even testing performance enhancers and messaging Lance to tell him how amazing the results were. And Sir Mo Farah's career took off when he teamed up with him. It's hilarious really.

Asal Mor

Quote from: JimStynes on March 07, 2017, 10:37:08 PM
So what was actually in the Jiffy bag?
Not an over-the-counter decongestant anyway, which was widely available in France and which Team Sky have previously purchased in other European countries from the nearest Pharmacy.

bennydorano

Sky released an 8 page document that answered a lot of questions (to nobody's satisfaction) worth reading if only to get a semblance of balance on the subject.

Asal Mor

"It is reported that as many as 70 ampoules of triamcinolone were ordered by Team Sky in 2011 alone. This is incorrect. Our records indicate that 55 ampoules of triamcinolone were ordered by Team Sky over a four-year period between 2010 and 2013."

It's more than a bit rich for Sky to try to use their records to back up their story, but even allowing for that, 55 still sounds like a lot.

"Only a small proportion of this was administered to Team Sky riders. According to Dr Richard Freeman, the majority was used in his private practice and to treat Team Sky and British Cycling staff."

;D

tiempo

Quote from: Asal Mor on March 08, 2017, 08:46:01 PM
"It is reported that as many as 70 ampoules of triamcinolone were ordered by Team Sky in 2011 alone. This is incorrect. Our records indicate that 55 ampoules of triamcinolone were ordered by Team Sky over a four-year period between 2010 and 2013."

It's more than a bit rich for Sky to try to use their records to back up their story, but even allowing for that, 55 still sounds like a lot.

"Only a small proportion of this was administered to Team Sky riders. According to Dr Richard Freeman, the majority was used in his private practice and to treat Team Sky and British Cycling staff."

;D

Brutal defence that. Nasacort and its generics are the standard way to adminster Triamcinolone to those suffering mild to moderate hay fever and allergies. Direct IV is for treatment of the most severe symptoms. It is classified as an extremely hazardous substance and is carcinogenic. Freeman being set up as the fall guy.

AQMP

Three time World Champion and 2008 Olympic 1500m Champion Asbel Kiprop of Kenya has tested positive for EPO.  It transpires he was alerted to the fact that he was about to be tested.  Ironically he won his 2008 gold medal after finishing 2nd in the race when the original winner was stripped of the gold after failing a drugs test.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/04/epo-suspect-asbel-kiprop-athletics-integrity-unit

Capt Pat

I see an English man called Wightman is putting the Kenyans in their place in the 1500 metres. I never thought we would see a clean white English man dominating this event with a Norwegian. Wightman was 10th at the Olympics last year. He is 28.

An Watcher

Same thought occurred to me.  They were saying he always had potential so I assumed he was around the 20 mark.  Surprised when they said 28 and 10th last year

imtommygunn

Despite having an English accent he's actually Scottish. I wouldn't say he's dominating this event - a real medal prospect who had the race of his life. Ingebrigtsen is just a once in a lifetime talent. (Who it's great to see getting beat when you see his interviews)

I would still be shocked if farah wasn't up to his neck in it.