Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrendanAntrim

Ao...we would move on to play Meath? CCC or whomever would need to make a quick decision.

BrendanAntrim

Dash83

http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/TheGAA/RulesandRegulations/13/79/78/GAAOfficialGuide2017_Part1_Neutral.pdf

Page 125. Forfeit, reply or fine depending on circumstances. I can't see any further explanation on 'circumstances' though

country bumpkin

See Fitzy and Gearoid up for another year....fair play to them I say......who else would take it on ?

paddyjohn

Quote from: country bumpkin on June 20, 2017, 02:13:55 PM
See Fitzy and Gearoid up for another year....fair play to them I say......who else would take it on ?

Can't see there being much appetite around the county for it, does it open the debate to bringing in an outside gaffer and spending a pound or 2?

Ethan Tremblay

Seems the appetite needs to change with the players according to this:

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=271910

I always wondered why a county like Antrim haven't ever challenged in my lifetime in Ulster (bar 2009). 
Most teams hit some sort of form and are competing for a few years before they fade but they seem to hover around the lower teams permanently.  I wouldn't know a great deal about their team or structures, but do they not have the players, the attitude/belief or what?   
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Loughshore Green

Antrim County lack ambition as a whole - seems to start at county board level and filters right through to the actual players.

2009 and few years after that proved that Antrim have the players to compete with most teams bar the top bracket.

I honestly feel if the county board showed ambition and put together a structured management team with a proven manager that has a goal for Antrim we would see a massive difference.

Unfortunately i feel it lies with the county board and until they show the ambition needed to compete, Antrim will find themselves were the deserve to be - the worst team in Ulster and in the lowest league in the NFL

Unfortunately Fitzy and Adams arent the answer and before taking the Antrim job would have struggled to get a top club team in Antrim never mind a County Job.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Loughshore Green on June 21, 2017, 11:33:37 AM
Antrim County lack ambition as a whole - seems to start at county board level and filters right through to the actual players.

2009 and few years after that proved that Antrim have the players to compete with most teams bar the top bracket.

I honestly feel if the county board showed ambition and put together a structured management team with a proven manager that has a goal for Antrim we would see a massive difference.

Unfortunately i feel it lies with the county board and until they show the ambition needed to compete, Antrim will find themselves were the deserve to be - the worst team in Ulster and in the lowest league in the NFL

Unfortunately Fitzy and Adams arent the answer and before taking the Antrim job would have struggled to get a top club team in Antrim never mind a County Job.

Holy smokes.... a spade is a spade, but don't slag off the county oul hand.

Na Glinntí Glasa

seen this letter that was wrote by a Leitrim footballer after their exit from the championship. I think it prob sums up how alot of other counties feel each year after playing two games a season.
Hi

As the dust settles on another humiliating defeat for Leitrim in the Championship one wonders where do we go from here.

From the top of my head I think we have won 8 championship games in the last 16 years. London x2, New York x 3, Sligo, (Wicklow and Waterford in the qualifiers). Beyond that, other than victories over London and New York, which don't really count, we've won two Connacht championship games in the 23 years since we won the Connacht title in 1994.

With a population of 33,000 (the same population as Castleknock) and 12 senior club teams, how can we compete in the same championship as the superpowers of Dublin, Kerry, Mayo etc.?

It's a sad state of affairs and until the media start highlighting this stuff in articles and podcasts, nothing will be done. The powers that be just seem to throw the carpet over the likes of Leitrim, Wicklow, Waterford, Carlow etc..

I have read a few articles today in the media saying that this year's championship is up and running and we are in store for a great summer's football, but on the flip side there is a bunch of teams whose summer is over and year on year it's the same old story. It would be great if you could highlight this in the media and hopefully get people talking about this. Hopefully restructuring the championship could bring a bit of joy to Leitrim and many other supporters around the country again.

Rant over.....

Regards,

i dont think it will be too long before we see qualifiers taking place in a group stage rather than the two tiered structure. its the only thing thats going to give counties like ourselves or leitrim etc a real chance of getting more games.

The hurling has got it right and continue to tweak it to try and improve it and the no of teams competing each season for the top honours. If we dont change the current structure counties like antrim etc will get farther and farther into obscurity in terms of competing with the top counties.

hurl like f**k boi!

Hectic

In fairness the hurling structures on the face of it don't seem to have done much for Antrim either.

bannside

With regard to blaming the "county board" it has to be said that Fitzy and Adams were not their appointment. They are the remnants of Jim Murrays tenure. So we will see for the first time what kind of ambition the board have for trying to deliver a plan for football that will at least deliver us out of the lower two divisions thst we regularly yo yo between, and offer us respectability.

Stillwater2

you must know something then, seeing your close connections with Saffron Vision?

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Hectic on June 21, 2017, 02:49:45 PM
In fairness the hurling structures on the face of it don't seem to have done much for Antrim either.

what it does show is that we are at the level we deserve to be at. Were on par with the likes of Westmeath, Carlow etc and imo the new championship format for next season gives Antrim more games at a level they can compete at rather than playing teams we are never going to get a result again. The more games we get the more it can only improve us.

Its better than losing 2 games each year and the season over before Junes ended.
hurl like f**k boi!

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on June 21, 2017, 03:31:28 PM
With regard to blaming the "count
y board" it has to be said that Fitzy and Adams were not their appointment. They are the remnants of Jim Murrays tenure. So we will see for the first time what kind of ambition the board have for trying to deliver a plan for football that will at least deliver us out of the lower two divisions thst we regularly yo yo between, and offer us respectability.
Afraid the buck just does stop at the top BS...

bannside

I'm afraid I don't see it that way at all AQMP.

This might be hypothetical, but I honestly 100%honestly do belive that if Malachy O Rourke stepped up tomorrow to take Antrim Football, we would be in division two in a couple or three years.

For God's sake we were a kick of the ball off Louth and Tipp in the league, and they are now div 2. And only a missed CJ penalty from chinning Armagh who were third placed. All this away from home.

So don't tell me either that an improved set up we couldn't make those kind of yards. We have the players but it's going to take a good set up to get them out. The challenge is to find that set up, management team.