Mitchell, Gay
3 (1.5%)
Norris, David
7 (3.4%)
Scallon, Dana Rosemary
7 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Main Street

The withdrawal symptoms kicked in fast, I just could 't face another minute of moratorium enforced avoidance, I broke down and am currently listening to the podcast of the Limerick FM interview with Gallagher, his last gasp (hopefully).

Hardy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 26, 2011, 04:52:32 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 26, 2011, 04:47:30 PM
That leaves two, the midget and the lady. The lady's letters wouldn't overly bother me and I'm glad he got back in to the race. However I'll revert back to what I said way back when, the midget called Michael Graham a w**ker so he gets my vote. Hope he pulls through as he's the least worst of all of them.

I think this is the tagline for this election and ultimately will see the little man get in.

That's about it. I don't think I''ll even put a No. 2 on the paper.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Ulick on October 26, 2011, 03:42:51 PM
Hardy, with respect I am not responsible for Martin McGuinness, what he does or what he says. My contribution to this thread boils down to a nerdy preoccupation with a pretty meaningless election campaign. You can interpret my posts whatever way you like, but for me it's just a little bit of fun, copying and pasting from here and there, adding links that I find interesting and throwing in the odd comment myself. If that's propaganda well, who exactly are you to be drawing the line around what propaganda is or is not?

I'm not aware of any particular "analysis" I have put forward anywhere on this thread, because to be honest I don't take the whole thing that serious. Actually if you go through my posts on the thread you'll see that I've made very little in the way of "pro-Mcguinness" posts and my commentary has mainly been on the media coverage of the election, the negative campaigning of Mitchell and latterly Gallagher's lies. Now if you want to take a few random posts about Mitchell and Gallagher as "pro-Mcguinness" well I don't see the logic – they could just as well be described as "pro-Dana", "pro-Higgins" etc etc. If you want to take my commentary on the media coverage of the election campaign as "pro-Mcguinness", well then what exactly are you permitting us to comment on today – should I go off and write a 500 word exposition on Mary Davis's suits or Dana's voice just so you don't have to see what you think is another "pro-Mcguinness" post?

Like everyone else I come on here for a bit of craic and comment on things that interest me. I'm sorry if that doesn't interest you, but I'm not going to apologise for what I post as you have the option of looking elsewhere if you like – as does everyone else. If you want I could stick a little fluttering flag on my avatar to warn you that it's one of mine – it works wonders for me avoiding yer man Evil Genius posts and I can actually read the Board now without feeling the need to interject on whatever dung spills out of his keyboard.

A final point, I have noticed that this is the second reply you have made today where you have dragged in some an imagined "pro-Sinn Féin" bias in the OP which didn't actually exist. That would indicate that you are letting your own bias or prejudices cloud what is in front of your eyes, and we're denied the usual sharp, insightful Hardy analysis in favour of a prejudiced, scatter-gun rant.
That whole "I'm-not-really-supporting-Marty-I'm-only-on-here-for-a-bit-of-crack" line is as about as convincing as this:

I mean, seriously, do you really expect anyone  on here* to swallow that horsesh1t?

P.S. We BOTH know you read my posts, whether you care to admit it or not  :D

* - Or the other websites you post the same Shinnerspeak on
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ross matt

Quote from: Hardy on October 26, 2011, 05:00:39 PM
That leaves two, the midget and the lady. The lady's letters wouldn't overly bother me and I'm glad he got back in to the race. However I'll revert back to what I said way back when, the midget called Michael Graham a w**ker so he gets my vote. Hope he pulls through as he's the least worst of all of them.

I think this is the tagline for this election and ultimately will see the little man get in.

Yeah Hardy. I'll find it hard to vote for any of them being honest. The thoughts of voting someone for our Presidency because they're "least worst" is depressing but if I do vote it'll be for that reason only.

Olly

This is no time for thinking about a dirty protest.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Bingo

Quote from: Olly on October 26, 2011, 05:13:12 PM

Classic  ;D  ;D  ;D Olly never fails to entertain.

Billys Boots

I'm struggling, for the first time ever, to find a No. 2 on the ballot sheet as well.  So much for PR.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Applesisapples

Quote from: Evil Genius on October 26, 2011, 01:07:57 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on October 26, 2011, 12:12:50 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on October 26, 2011, 12:06:32 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 26, 2011, 09:18:42 AMTubberman you and some others here seem to take the posts of a few Northern Posters on this site as representative of all. This is not the case no more than some of the views expressed on here by you and others represent the views of all southerners. Yes it is true that some southerners on here have displayed a lack of understanding of the northern situation and the experiences of Nationalists since partition and the feeling of isolation we felt. But not all. Some northern posters have also shown a lack of understanding both of the politics and the experiences of the south since partition. But there is more that unites us than divides us. We should however know from the experiences of German reunification that to wake up in a United Ireland one day would be a complete disaster for all. When it happens unity will come dropping slowly and will require patience, understanding and compromise on all sides.
All very well, I'm sure, but it completely fails to take into account the "elephant in the room" - namely 1 million NI Unionists, without whose willing co-operation, no-one will be going anywhere.

Don't hold your breath... ::)

Well it does really. That's the whole "patience, understanding and compromise on all sides" part I'd imagine. Unless you don't consider the unionists to be a side I suppose.
Fair enough, I see your point.

What I was taking exception to was the implicit assumption that "it" (Irish political unity) will inevitably happen.

Imo, thanks to those 1 million Unionists,"it" won't happen in your or my lifetime*.

* - Beyond that timescale, who knows? I suppose we can leave that for the type of people who hark back to the days of Dan Breen or 1798 to speculate upon... ::)
1 million unionists is a myth, just as SF's belief  that all Nationalists want an immediate 32 County Republic is a myth. Unity will happen and for a number of reasons not just demographic. One thing is certain it will not bear any resemblance to current nationalist thinking. And it probably won't happen in the next 25 years, but look how far things have changed since 1990.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Main Street on October 26, 2011, 04:58:47 PM
The withdrawal symptoms kicked in fast, I just could 't face another minute of moratorium enforced avoidance, I broke down and am currently listening to the podcast of the Limerick FM interview with Gallagher, his last gasp (hopefully).

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

muppet

I am going to vote for the person I think would win if it was a proper job application. I had given this some serious thought and this is how I think it would go in the real world:

Advertise job of President and make Job Spec available;

7 applications arrive;

Based on CV versus Job Spec: 2 PFOs would be sent immediately to Dana and Sean Gallagher;

1st round of interviews for 4 remaining applicants (David Norris would have pulled out by now);

Based on interview: 4 PFOS would be sent out and the job would be re-advertised;

Re-advertise job but this time not during Liveline;

6 of the original 7 would re-apply (Sean Gallagher would by now be paranoid of even empty envelopes and withdraw);

PFO would be sent to Dana again who this time would claim it tried to kill her;

1st round of interviews would take place for remaining 5 candidates;

Process would be suspended;

Council of State would be set up to see if we actually need a President;

It would be discovered that Bertie passed a law making Mary Davis Chairperson of any Council of State ever convened;

Council of State would decree that a President is needed, but that a process of selection was not;

4 PFOs would be sent to Higgins, McGuinness, Mitchell and Norris;

Council of State would decree that Mary Davis is the winner;

QED.

I'm voting for Mary.

MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Quote from: Olly on October 26, 2011, 05:13:12 PM

:D

ross4life

Quote from: ross matt on October 26, 2011, 05:11:38 PM

Yeah Hardy. I'll find it hard to vote for any of them being honest. The thoughts of voting someone for our Presidency because they're "least worst" is depressing but if I do vote it'll be for that reason only.

Awful candidates in a dirty campaign still have no idea who to vote the lesser evil i guess?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 26, 2011, 09:18:42 AM

As to the election, I voted for Gallagher in the poll above, if I had to vote again I would probably vote for McGuinness, mainly because I think he has been shabbily treated by the media. But also he has done the south a favour by exposing Gallagher for what he is.
So you'd vote for a candidate based on how they were treated by the media?
Surely your decision should be based on who you feel is the best person for the job?

Evil Genius

Quote from: tbrick18 on October 26, 2011, 03:27:24 PM
Is this the same Civil Rights campaign which was effectively ended by bloody sunday? When you try the Civil Rights approach and the soldiers of the state open fire on civilians do you just continue down the same road or do you decide that Civil Rights Movement isnt working? If the latter is the case where do you go from there? Is there any option other than the gun?
Ah yes, the old "It was only after Bloody Sunday that we turned to the gun" argument...

Except that the facts prove that to have been a crock of sh1t.

Bloody Sunday took place on 31/01/72.

The following is a selection of events, extracted from CAIN, which preceeded that date:

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/othelem/chron/ch69.htm
Sunday 28 December 1969 - Split in the IRA
There was a split in the Irish Republican Army (IRA). [The breakaway group became known as the Provisional IRA and the remaining group became known as the Official IRA.

Thursday 28 May 1970 - Arms Trial Began
Charles Haughey and Neil Blaney, both former Irish government ministers, together with two other men James Kelly (Captain), then an Irish Army Intelligence Officer, and John Kelly, a Belfast Republican, were charged in a Dublin court with conspiracy to illegally import arms [in October 1969] for use by the Irish Republican Army (IRA).

Friday 26 June 1970 - Five People Killed in Premature Explosion
Two young girls, aged 9 years and 4 years, died in a premature explosion at their home in the Creggan area of Derry. Their father, a member of the Irish Republican Army (IRA), had been making an incendiary device, presumably for use against the British Army. The explosion killed two other members of the IRA. The girls were the first females to die in 'the Troubles'.

Friday 3 July 1970 - Falls Road Curfew
Beginning in the afternoon, the British Army carried out extensive house searches in the Falls Road area of Belfast for members of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) and IRA arms. A military curfew was imposed on the area for a period of 34 hours with movement of people heavily restricted. The house searches lasted for two days and involved considerable destruction to many houses and their contents. During the searches the army uncovered a lot of illegal arms and explosives.

Tuesday 11 August 1970
Two Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) officers were killed by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) when they set off a booby trap bomb planted in a car near Crossmaglen, County Armagh.

Friday 4 September 1970
An Irish Republican Army (IRA) member, Michael Kane (35), was killed in the premature explosion of the bomb he was planting at an electricity transformer in Belfast.

Tuesday 15 September 1970
Another landmark in the violence was reached when the one hundredth explosion in 1970 occurred.

Monday 16 November 1970
Two men were shot dead by the Irish Republican Army (IRA). [It was alleged that the two men were involved in anti-social behaviour. This was the first occasion on which the IRA had killed anyone alleged to have been involved in criminality.]

Sunday 10 January 1971
Members of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) carried out an early form of 'punishment attack' by tarring and feathering four men who were accused of criminal activities in Catholic areas of Belfast.

27 January 1971
John Kavanagh, Catholic Civilian, Killed by Irish Republican Army. Found shot by Blackstaff River, off Roden Street, Belfast.

Saturday 6 February 1971 - First Soldier Killed
The Irish Republican Army (IRA) shot and killed Gunner Robert Curtis, the first British soldier to die during the current conflict.
Bernard Watt (28), a Catholic civilian, was shot and killed by the British Army (BA) during street disturbances in Ardoyne, Belfast.
James Saunders (22), a member of the IRA, was shot and killed by the British Army during a gun battle near the Oldpark Road, Belfast.

Tuesday 9 February 1971
Five men, two of them British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) engineers, the others construction workers, were killed near a BBC transmitter on Brougher Mountain, County Tyrone in a landmine attack carried out by the Irish Republican Army (IRA).

Monday 15 February 1971
A British soldier died seven days after being mortally wounded in an Irish Republican Army (IRA) attack.

Friday 26 February 1971
Two Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) officers, Cecil Patterson (45) and Robert Buckley (30), were shot and killed by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) while on a mobile patrol in the Ardoyne area of Belfast.

Monday 8 March 1971
Members of the Official Irish Republican Army (OIRA) engaged in a gun battle with members of the Provisional IRA (PIRA). One man was killed. The feud between the two wings of the IRA had been developing ever since the Republic movement split on 11 January 1970.

Wednesday 10 March 1971
Dougald McCaughey (23), Joseph McCaig (18) and John McCaig (17), all three members of the Royal Highland Fusiliers (a regiment of the British Army; BA), were killed by members of the Irish Republican Army (IRA). The soldiers were off-duty and lured from a pub where they had been drinking. Their bodies were found at Squire's Hill, in the Ligoniel area of Belfast.

Saturday 10 April 1971
The Republican commemorations held in Belfast of the Easter Rising (in 1916 in Dublin) provided an opportunity to gauge public support for the two wings of the Irish Republican Army (IRA). The march organised by the Official movement appeared only to attract half the level of support as that organised by the Provisionals.

Saturday 15 May 1971
William 'Billy' Reid, an IRA member, was shot dead by British soldiers in Belfast. [According to 'Lost Lives' Reid was the person who fired the shot which killed Robert Curtis, the first British soldier to be killed in 'the Troubles', on 6 February 1971]

Tuesday 25 May 1971
A British soldier was killed in an Irish Republican Army (IRA) bomb attack on the joint Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) / British Army (BA) base on the Springfield Road in Belfast.

Sunday 11 July 1971
The Irish Republican Army (IRA) exploded a number of bombs in the centre of Belfast injuring a number of people. [A number of commentators saw these bombs as an attempt to increase tension and confrontations between the two main communities.]

Monday 12 July 1971
A British soldier was shot dead [by the IRA] in Belfast.

Wednesday 14 July 1971
A British soldier was shot dead [by the IRA] in Belfast.

Sunday 8 August 1971
A British soldier was shot dead by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) in Belfast.

Wednesday 18 August 1971
Eamon Lafferty (20), a member of the Irish Republican Army (IRA), was shot dead by the British Army (BA) during a gun battle in the Creggan area of Derry.

Monday 23 August 1971
A British soldier was killed by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) in Belfast.

Wednesday 25 August 1971
Henry Beggs (23), a Protestant civilian, was killed when the Irish Republican Army (IRA) planted a bomb at the Northern Ireland Electricity Service office on the Malone Road in Belfast.

Friday 27 August 1971
A British soldier was shot dead by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) in south Armagh.

Wednesday 1 September 1971
The Irish Republican Army (IRA) exploded a series of bombs across Northern Ireland injuring a number of people.

Thursday 2 September 1971
There were further Irish Republican Army (IRA) bombs across the region including one in Belfast which wrecked the headquarters of the Ulster Unionist Party (UUP). The explosions resulted in further injuries to a number of people.

03 September 1971
Frankie Veitch, 21 y.o. Ulster Defence Regiment member killed by Irish Republican Army (IRA);
Angela Gallagher, 1 y.o. Catholic, killed while in pram, during IRA sniper attack on nearby British Army patrol.

Wednesday 9 September 1971
A British soldier was killed trying to defuse a bomb near Lisburn.

Tuesday 14 September 1971
Two British soldiers, Martin Carroll (23) and John Rudman (21) were killed in separate shooting incidents in Derry and Edendork, near Coalisland, County Tyrone. Another soldier was seriously injured during the incident in Derry which took place at the Army base in the old Essex factory.

Wednesday 15 September 1971
A British soldier died one day after being shot in Belfast.

Friday 17 September 1971
A British soldier was shot dead in Belfast.

Saturday 18 September 1971
A Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) officer was shot dead in Strabane, County Tyrone.

Wednesday 29 September 1971
Two Protestant civilians, Alexander Andrews (60) and Ernest Bates (38), were killed in an explosion at the Four Step Inn on the Shankill Road in Belfast, no group claimed responsibility but it was believed to be the responsibility of the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA).

Friday 1 October 1971
A British soldier was killed in Belfast.

Saturday 2 October 1971
A member of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) was killed in a premature bomb explosion.

Sunday 3 October 1971
A man was shot dead during an attack by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) on a British Army (BA) foot patrol.

Monday 11 October 1971
A British soldier died two weeks after being shot by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) in Derry.

Friday 15 October 1971
Two Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) officers were killed by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) in Belfast.

Saturday 16 October 1971
A British soldier was killed by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) in Derry.

Sunday 17 October 1971
A British soldier was killed by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) in Belfast. Another soldier died two days after he was mortally wounded.

Sunday 24 October 1971
A member of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) was shot dead by undercover Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) officers during a bomb attack in Belfast.

Ruairi O'Brady, then President of Sinn Féin (SF), addressed a SF Ard Fheis in Dublin and said that the North of Ireland must be made ungovernable as first step in achieving a united Ireland.

Monday 25 October 1971
A man died two days after being shot during an Irish Republican Army (IRA) attack on the British Army (BA) in Belfast.

Tuesday 26 October 1971
A 21 y.o. protestant man was found shot dead (by the IRA) in the Short Strand, Belfast.

Wednesday 27 October 1971
David Tilbury (29) and Angus Stevens (18), both members of the British Army (BA), were killed by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) during an attack on their observation post in Rosemount, Derry.
Ronald Dodds (34), a Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) officer, was shot dead by the IRA near Toome, County Antrim.
David Powell (22), a member of the British Army, was killed by a landmine planted by the IRA at Kinawley, County Fermanagh.

Friday 29 October 1971
A Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) officer was killed in a bomb attack in Belfast.

Saturday 30 October 1971
A British soldier was killed in a bomb attack in Belfast.

Sunday 31 October 1971
A British soldier died three days after being mortally wounded by members of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) in Belfast.
A man was found shot dead in Belfast.
The Irish Republican Army (IRA) exploded a bomb at the Post Office Tower in London. [At the time part of the tower was open to members of the public and was a London tourist attraction.]

Monday 1 November 1971
Stanley Corry (28) and William Russell (31), both members of the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC), were shot dead by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) in the Andersonstown area of Belfast.

Tuesday 2 November 1971
The Irish Republican Army (IRA) exploded two bombs on the Ormeau Road in Belfast, one at a drapery shop and the other at the Red Lion bar, and killed three Protestant civilians; John Cochrane (67), Mary gemmell (55) and William Jordan (31).

Thursday 4 November 1971
A British soldier died seven weeks after being mortally wounded in Belfast.

Sunday 7 November 1971
An off duty British soldier was shot dead by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) in an attack in Lurgan, County Armagh. Another soldier was injured in the same attack.

Tuesday 9 November 1971
A British soldier was shot dead by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) in Derry.

Thursday 11 November 1971
Two Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) officers were shot dead by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) in Belfast. [One of the officers was a Catholic and was the first Catholic member of the RUC to be killed during the conflict.]

Thursday 18 November 1971
A British soldier was shot dead by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) in Belfast.

Monday 22 November 1971
A member of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) was killed in a premature bomb explosion in Lurgan, County Armagh.

Monday 24 November 1971
A woman was killed when members of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) carried out an attack on British soldiers in Strabane, County Tyrone.
A British Army (BA) bomb-disposal specialist was killed by a bomb in Lurgan, County Armagh.

Friday 12 November 1971
A Dutch seaman was shot dead by Republican paramilitaries in Belfast.

Saturday 27 November 1971
Two Customs officials, Ian Hankin (27) a Protestant and James O'Neill (39) a Catholic, were shot by an Irish Republican Army (IRA) sniper who fired upon a British Army (BA) patrol investigating a bomb attack on a Customs Post near Newry, County Armagh.

Monday 29 November 1971
An off duty British soldier was found shot dead in County Armagh.

Tuesday 7 December 1971
An off duty member of the Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR) was shot dead by members of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) in County Tyrone.

Wednesday 8 December 1971
Sean Russell (30), an off duty member of the Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR), was shot dead by members of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) in his home in Ballymurphy, Belfast. [Russell was the first Catholic member of the UDR to be killed in the conflict.]
A British soldier died found days after being shot in Belfast.

Friday 10 December 1971
Kenneth Smyth (28), a Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR) member, and Daniel McCormick (29), a former UDR member, were killed by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) near Strabane, County Tyrone.

Saturday 11 December 1971
The Irish Republican Army (IRA) killed four Protestant civilians in a bomb attack on a furniture shop on the Shankill Road in Belfast. Two of those who were killed in the explosion were children. The dead were: Hugh Bruce (70), Harold King (29), Tracey Munn (2) and Colin Nicholl (1).

Thursday 16 December 1971

Saturday 18 December 1971
Three members of the Irish Republican Army (IRA), James Sheridan (20), John Bateson (19) and Martin Lee (19), were killed when the bomb they were transporting exploded prematurely in King Street, Magherafelt, County Derry.

Monday 20 December 1971
A woman was shot dead during a gun attack on British soldiers.

21 December 1971
60 y.o. Catholic John Lavery killed by IRA bomb which exploded as he attempted to carry it out of his bar, Lisburn Road, Belfast.

Wednesday 29 December 1971
A British soldier was shot dead in Derry.

Thursday 30 December 1971
A member of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) was killed in a premature bomb explosion in Santry, Dublin.

Monday 3 January 1972
The Irish Republican Army (IRA) exploded a bomb in Callender Street, Belfast, which injured over 60 people.

Thursday 27 January 1972
Two Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) officers, Peter Gilgun (26) and David Montgomery (20), were shot dead in an attack on their patrol car in the Creggan Road, Derry.
The British Army and the Irish Republican Army (IRA) were engaged in gun battles near Forkhill, County Armagh. British troops fired over 1,000 rounds of amunition.

[Btw, none of the above is meant to deny, condone or defend all of the very many killings which were carried out by "Loyalists" or Security Forces during this period. but then again, it does not list the hundreds of other incidents of IRA violence etc, which didn't happen to result in death, just enormous injury and destruction.]

Quote from: tbrick18 on October 26, 2011, 03:27:24 PMYou say you have little doubt that Westminster would have intervened....well I think history shows this wasn't the case. They had ample time to intervene but didn't. The Catholic/Nationalist population of the 6 counties had no-one to represent them who was being listened to and had no-one to protect them, which leads to my comment about politics being permitted.
I couldn't be arsed cutting and pasting any more(!), but if you read through that CAIN Chronology, you will see that there were numerous concessions and reforms etc, many of them pushed through by Westminster, which demonstrate that there was a genuine willingness both from London and Belfast to meet many Nationalist grievances.

Unfortunately these were usually some way "behind the curve" (and so inadequate), as paramilitary violence, both Republican and "Loyalist", took hold of events on the streets.

Fortunately, those self-same "defenders" of their communities came to realise that this activity was futile, and so opted for the Peace Process.

Unfortunately, however, this was over 30 years too late for the thousands of innocent bystanders who suffered so grievously in the meantime... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Evil Genius on October 26, 2011, 01:02:45 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 26, 2011, 12:04:44 PMEG - SF might have 15% in the republic but you do realise that all the major parties in the South are for a united Ireland, even FG. Likewise in the North more than just SF are also in favour, namely the SDLP. I hope, with some persuading, that a chunk of unionists might also be convinced. Not that mad when you consider in 1798 a large proportion of the rebels in the united Irishmen in Ulster were protestant and ancestors of settlers.
You might look back to 1798  :o for evidence that sufficient numbers of Unionists can be persuaded to renounce their identity, heritage, aspirations and current (relative) economic stability etc, for a UI.

But this particular Unionist prefers to restrict his search to, say, the last fifty years*. And ALL the evidence of that time indicates that far from Unionists abandoning their stance, they are actually as determined as ever to maintain it.

And insofar as there has been significant movement in political thinking on this island in recent times, it is that (a ) since their Civil and Economic Rights have been granted and recognised, Nationalists in NI have become increasingly less obsessed with the National Question, whilst (b ) Nationalists in the Republic have been increasingly disinclined to give a fcuk about anything that takes place North of the Border.

Happy Days!  ;)

* - You know, a period which constitutes "living memory" for the vast majority of people

Being a unionist we should be used to you being unable to look too far back alright ;)

However, the point I was making (as you know well) is that there were in certain periods of history sets of circumstances where large amounts of unionists favoured a separate country from the UK. It is up to nationalists, republicans to demonstrate why those reasons exists today. Thats all I am saying and your mocking tone does nothing but make you look foolish. It is also worth noting that while you imply people wishing a united Ireland are a small irrelevant proportion, that is not the case. Lets say 42% of Northern catholics wish a unit ireland, what % of protestants would have to be convinced to crossover the 50% threshold. You are the genius, all be it an evil one, so you can work out the maths.