Mitchell, Gay
3 (1.5%)
Norris, David
7 (3.4%)
Scallon, Dana Rosemary
7 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Nally Stand

I would have said "conspiracy theory", but you don't seem to have any theories about this suspected conspiracy.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 19, 2011, 04:59:13 PM
I would have said "conspiracy theory", but you don't seem to have any theories about this suspected conspiracy.

You slag off the Indo at every opportunity, fair enough so do I, but when asked an awkward question about SF's finances your defense was if the Indo couldn't find it then it couldn't be there. This line of argument actually gives credit to the Indo.

Back to the donations:

If Ulick is not correct then the question remains unanswered.

If Ulick is correct then it creates the interesting anomaly of SF apparently using partition to suit themselves for financial purposes. That would kinda undermine both the 32 county thing and the no 'money motivated people here' mantra don't you think?
MWWSI 2017

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: muppet on October 19, 2011, 05:08:40 PM

You slag off the Indo at every opportunity, fair enough so do I, but when asked an awkward question about SF's finances your defense was if the Indo couldn't find it then it couldn't be there. This line of argument actually gives credit to the Indo.

Back to the donations:

If Ulick is correct then it creates the interesting anomaly of SF apparently using partition to suit themselves for financial purposes. That would kinda undermine both the 32 county thing and the no 'money motivated people here' mantra don't you think?

I can see your point on the first issue Muppet though I would perhaps argue that since SF have reluctantly accepted the reality of partition, it is no more hypocritical than sitting in any 6 county or 26 county institution which they have been doing for decades.

But I'm really not sure that your second point is correct. However the salaries are donated, the very existence of the policy proves Nally's point surely?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Nally Stand

Back to the donations:

As I said yesterday, I would prefer that they make use of the circumstances to ensure they don't attract Bertie Ahern or Michael Lowry type characters to the party which would do them no favours what-so-ever in their work towards ending partition. I regard them standing in 32 counties as the single over-riding factor which makes them non-partitionist. On the same criteria, I regard every other political party in Ireland as wholly and fundamentally partitionist. Which is a shameful state of affairs.

Maybe when partition is ended, they will no longer be able to ensure their reps and staff only get a average industrial wage and sure then who knows what sort of careerists will join them. And sure wouldn't they be right at home with the all the others then?!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 19, 2011, 04:46:17 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on October 19, 2011, 04:15:16 PM
It's hilarious watching the SFers here trying to justify the blatant abuse of the partition (that they don't recognise) by SF TDs to evade the laws in the Republic.

What's even more hilarious is the anti-SF lads struggling valiantly but vainly, in trying to work out how they can criticise SF over this subject. It is simply a way for the party to ensure it's reps are not money motivated careerists. Maybe if certain other parties had ways to ensure they weren't attracting money seekers and careerists, there would have been fewer Bertie Aherns or Michael Lowrys floating about.
Are you stating categorically that SF are avoiding the laws of the Irish State by donating money to the party in the North? If this is the case then in my view it is no different than someone evading their tax liability...fraud in other words. I would have expected better.

AQMP

Back to the donations:

Ach I don't think so. A bit like saying if you're a Republican and live in the North you shouldn't accept British benefits.  I'm sure SF has to register as a political party in both jurisdictions?  While these temporary impediments to Irish unity are in place ;) IMHO it's fair enough if they're able to take advantage of any "anomalies".  Let the rest of the parties become 32 county parties and they can all do it!

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 19, 2011, 05:19:50 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on October 19, 2011, 04:46:17 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on October 19, 2011, 04:15:16 PM
It's hilarious watching the SFers here trying to justify the blatant abuse of the partition (that they don't recognise) by SF TDs to evade the laws in the Republic.

What's even more hilarious is the anti-SF lads struggling valiantly but vainly, in trying to work out how they can criticise SF over this subject. It is simply a way for the party to ensure it's reps are not money motivated careerists. Maybe if certain other parties had ways to ensure they weren't attracting money seekers and careerists, there would have been fewer Bertie Aherns or Michael Lowrys floating about.
Are you stating categorically that SF are avoiding the laws of the Irish State by donating money to the party in the North? If this is the case then in my view it is no different than someone evading their tax liability...fraud in other words. I would have expected better.
No. They are breaking no law what-so-ever. If they were, an ever-enthusiastic Dublin media would have told you allllll about it many years ago.

armaghniac

Nordie is harmless in itself, except that it is often used in context to mean something other than an Irish person rather than an as a subset of Irish person.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

I don't believe it breaks any law.

However SF claims to be the one true 32 county party, descended from the ashes of the GPO in 1916, while the rest are merely partitionist. We see this posted here time and time again and McGuinness has espoused his 32 county credentials. This odd donation arrangement, if true, makes those claims look very flimsy.

Secondly the mantra posted here that SF representatives donate earnings in excess of the minimum wage to the party so that money motivated individuals need not apply. What about the party's motivation for money? It appears (according to the answers above) happy to have a blind-spot on its anti-partition ideology when it concerns money. Arguing about what it spends the money on is futile. The simple question is that as long as it spends its money on itself how is it different from any other self serving money motivated organisation or individual?

MWWSI 2017

Ulick

Muppet you're typing through yer hoop.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on October 19, 2011, 06:26:52 PM
I don't believe it breaks any law.

However SF claims to be the one true 32 county party, descended from the ashes of the GPO in 1916, while the rest are merely partitionist. We see this posted here time and time again and McGuinness has espoused his 32 county credentials. This odd donation arrangement, if true, makes those claims look very flimsy.

Secondly the mantra posted here that SF representatives donate earnings in excess of the minimum wage to the party so that money motivated individuals need not apply. What about the party's motivation for money? It appears (according to the answers above) happy to have a blind-spot on its anti-partition ideology when it concerns money. Arguing about what it spends the money on is futile. The simple question is that as long as it spends its money on itself how is it different from any other self serving money motivated organisation or individual?

So you have a problem with the claim that SF reps only get an average industrial wage because the rest of the money goes to the party? Still doesn't change the fact that the reps only get an average industrial wage though, does it?!! (Money which is used to make sure the party is successful, not to ensure any specific individuals can buy a plush new set of golf clubs and a nice car to put them in if he runs for the party as a candidate). Seriously Muppet, you seem to be increasingly desperate at this stage to find some sort of way to have a problem with this SF policy!! It really is funny. "I've a problem with it. I'm just not quite sure what that problem is yet though".

muppet

The problems are obvious to all but the disciples. But thanks for helping me track that particular issue down to the root.
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Fear ón Srath Bán

Sinn Féin exploit British Imperialism in Ireland shocker!  :o
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...