Mitchell, Gay
3 (1.5%)
Norris, David
7 (3.4%)
Scallon, Dana Rosemary
7 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Farrandeelin

Mayogodhelpus, Mitchel was so dull it was unbelievable. Maybe that's what Ulick saw it as. He offered nothing, apart from getting elected in Dublin in a lot of elections. f**king hell his voice was as droll to listen to also.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Quote from: ross matt on October 01, 2011, 12:25:19 AM
Mitchell was the most impressive I thought followed by Michael D. Norris was a pantomine act. Dana completely floundered on the confessional issue and overall was a waffling granny. Gallagher was better than I expected but why is he running? the office of president cant allow him to effect the changes he's talking about. Mary Davis was strong but one dimensional. Despite getting an easy ride McGuinness was weak. His constant harping about his low wages was pathetic. If Mitchell steps up his campaign now he will walk it.
:D
Are you well?

Mayo4Sam

I thought Norris was an embarrassment, shouting everything, he stopped short of shouting about his "comeback". The man really is a dose.

While I don't agree with a lot, maybe 70%, of what Dana says she is probably the most articulate.

I actually thought the 3/4 on the right as we looked were harshly done by cause they weren't controversial enough
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

AQMP

Ulick makes some good points.  Apart from Jedward who clearly won the night it was hard to give a ranking as such and I would put a few of the candidates in joint 3.5 position.  The format was poor and seven candidates is a big number to fit into a show with ad breaks etc.  There were no clear winners or losers.  This ranking is who I thought it was a good night for:

1)  Dana - I wouldn't vote for her in a fit but I thought she came across well until the question about the confessional.  She was straighforward and passionate.  She will appeal to a certain constituency in the country and she benefitted most from the exposure.

2)  Sean Gallagher - Again I thought he came across well.  A bit waffly on the specifics but didn't try to hide his FF connections and tried to bring enterprise to the forefront of the argument.

3)  Michael D - Took a while to warm up but should be pleased with the outcome.  No gaffes but he looks and speaks a bit like an old uncle who comes around on Xmas Day has a few bevvies and entertains with stories about what it was like in his day.  The only downside was he looked a lot older than the rest but might be viewed as a safe pair of hands

4)  Martin McGuinness - His opening was a bit cringeworthy with too many "greed" "big wages" "rich people" "bankers" etc shoe horned in.  Got better as the night went on.  No major knockout blows delivered by Tub or other candidates.  Solid rather than spectacular.  Won't have won many votes but won't have turned people off either though he seems to have brought the issue of the salary to the fore.

5)  Gay Mitchell - For someone called Gay he looked like everyone belonging to him had just died.  The Irish John Major, grey, dull but has met Mandela (surely the acid test for candidates!) and was responsible for something about a Value for Money Act??

6)  David Norris - Did nothing to change my view that the is a failed frustrated actor who can't wait to be Pres as he thinks he will be able to strut about the world stage quoting Joyce.  A complete chancer and potential loose cannon who would be a catastrophic choice as President.

7)  Mary Davis - My first real exposure to her and I thought she was a disaster.  Sure she's a member of the Council of State, a body so influential it meets every two years.  She couldn't fill 30 seconds to sell herself and frankly looked like she didn't really know why she was there.

Just my opinion...

BarryBreensBandage

Did anyone else not think it was a bit staged when Tubridy asked Mitchell on his opinion of McGuinness, allowing Mitchell the chance to put the boot in, although he decided to wear slippers and question something about a 22 county? It was the only time all night that one was asked an opinion of the other.

Another thing that annoyed me was something that you see consistently on this type of programme is the interviewer cutting in on a candidates response. It sounds ok when the interruption is relevant.

Tubridy was at it last night and for me it is so blatantly obvious when a presenter is trying to make a name for himself.

Mark Carruthers off BBC could teach him a thing or two.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Maguire01

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on October 01, 2011, 11:26:23 AM
Tubridy was at it last night and for me it is so blatantly obvious when a presenter is trying to make a name for himself.
Trying to make a name for himself? He's the presenter of the biggest chat show in the country. He's a household name.

Bingo

Judging by the varying opinions on who won and who didn't, I'd imagine some of them were written before it even started!

Thankfully I had the sense to watch A few good men on the other side! YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Hereiam

Would have loved it if one of them had asked tubs would he take a pay cut for the good of the nation... would have been priceless. For me Michael D will win it. Blame the gift grub sketches....they kept bertie in office and will see Michael D home.

Maguire01

QuoteMr McGuinness said: "It was very interesting that the Queen of England spoke in Irish (during her address at Dublin Castle).

"It was very interesting that she stood in honour of those who gave their lives in the name of Irish freedom at the garden of remembrance.

"I think that was a spectacular success from Mary McAleese's point of view.

"But I think the day that the Queen of England comes to Ireland and meets with Martin McGuinness as President of Ireland will be an absolutely huge occasion altogether."
I was reminded of the 'ego' comments earlier in this thread when I heard that last night. Talking in the third person and with an over-inflated sense of self importance.

The Worker

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 01, 2011, 12:22:33 PM
QuoteMr McGuinness said: "It was very interesting that the Queen of England spoke in Irish (during her address at Dublin Castle).

"It was very interesting that she stood in honour of those who gave their lives in the name of Irish freedom at the garden of remembrance.

"But I think the day that the Queen of England comes to Ireland and meets with Martin McGuinness as President of Ireland will be an absolutely huge occasion altogether."
I was reminded of the 'ego' comments earlier in this thread when I heard that last night. Talking in the third person and with an over-inflated sense of self importance.

I think martin makes a very valid point here. His is a campaign of reconciliation, and of building a brighter better ireland.

Maguire01

Quote from: The Worker on October 01, 2011, 12:39:01 PM

I think martin makes a very valid point here. His is a campaign of reconciliation, and of building a brighter better ireland.
But did he not miss the chance to show real leadership 4 months ago? In relation to this point, he looks like he's playing catch-up.

The Worker

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 01, 2011, 12:52:34 PM

But did he not miss the chance to show real leadership 4 months ago? In relation to this point, he looks like he's playing catch-up.

4 months ago? that was a party decision you will find. Some people like yourself will never give people a chance.

Maguire01

Quote from: The Worker on October 01, 2011, 01:08:54 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 01, 2011, 12:52:34 PM

4 months ago? that was a party decision you will find. Some people like yourself will never give people a chance.
He's in a leadership position in that party. And that party is now actively supporting his campaign. It's not about me giving anybody a chance - he had the chance and didn't take it.

RMDrive

This is the kind of BS that is making this campaign so poor. What exactly is a brighter Ireland?