The Rebel County

Started by theticklemister, September 29, 2013, 09:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Why is Cork called the rebel county? I mind my old lecturer dismissing the fact that it was because it was full of IRA men in the 20s and had another reason but i cant remember. Does anyone know?

lawnseed

Quote from: theticklemister on September 29, 2013, 09:03:43 AM
Why is Cork called the rebel county? I mind my old lecturer dismissing the fact that it was because it was full of IRA men in the 20s and had another reason but i cant remember. Does anyone know?
exactly the opposite, cork was the most loyal county in Ireland to the crown and didn't follow the rest of the country's lead hence the 'rebel' lable . these names 'rebel' 'orchard' royal etc were given by irish people not English. so 'rebel' is seen through irish eyes
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

snoopdog

The only Rebel they had, they shot.

Shamrock Shore

Longford was just as rebellious during the Tan War - as was Leitrim and Roscommon.

For Michael Collins we had Gen Sean MacEoin
For Kilmichael we had Clonfin - Roscommon had the Scramogue ambush. There was an ambush in Leitrim, the name of which escapes me.

The Battle of Ballinamuck in 1798 resulted in hundreds of deaths - the bodies are buried all over Ballinalee and Aughnacliffe.

In the aftermath of the Clonfin ambush in 1921, British forces raided the nearby towns/villages of Killoe, Ballinamuck, Drumlish, Ballinalee, Edgeworthtown, Granard and Ardagh. A number of houses and farms were burnt. They also shot dead an elderly farmer, Michael Farrell, in reprisal for the ambush.

Granard was sacked in Nov 1920 and more or less burned to the ground (no smart comments please down the back)

Jesus, during the visit of Her Maj to Cork the Cork people couldn't bow and scrape enough.

Rebel County my arse

Rossfan

Was Sefton the name of that Leitrim ambush or was it Gorvagh?
I think Sefton was a hideout of a flying column which was betrayed to the Tans by a dirty informer.
Wasn't that when another  great Longford leader Seán Connolly was wounded and captured by the Tans. He "died" in custody that night in Carrick.
They burned Knockcroghery and killed a young lad called Molloy by firing shots at him while he was bringing in the cows for milking.
They also shot a lot of Volunteers in West Roscommon by coming on their safe houses in the middle of the night, again betrayed by filthy informers.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jeepers Creepers

From w'pedia...

The city's cognomen of "the rebel city" originates in its support for the Yorkist cause during the War of the Roses

turk

Shamrock,

Was it the Drumshanbo Massacre?

Shamrock Shore

No Turk.

That was a bit later organised by a priest whose name I cannot recall!

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

deiseach

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on September 29, 2013, 07:48:48 PM
From w'pedia...

The city's cognomen of "the rebel city" originates in its support for the Yorkist cause during the War of the Roses

They supported Perkin Warbeck's claim to the throne of Henry VII. Warbeck claimed to be one of the sons of Edward IV who went missing in the Tower (presumed dead) when Richard III usurped the throne. So they were 'rebels' all right, but it was pretty inconsequential stuff.