Mitchell, Gay
3 (1.5%)
Norris, David
7 (3.4%)
Scallon, Dana Rosemary
7 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

highorlow

Are peopled arsed about the presidential campaign?

I see a smear campaign has been made public against the gay nominee Norris. He seems popular with the public but that's probably more down to the amount of gay talk show hosts on our screens these days than any policy he has.

Sean Gallagher is about the best of them?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Denn Forever

The last 2 means it will be a hard act to follow.  Preferably the new president should be be someone who is not from an overtly Political background.

I think a "Bertie Ahern should never be president" campaign should  be started immediately in case he goes for it after the dust settles.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Declan

QuoteSean Gallagher is about the best of them?

Eh no!

I'd have Michael D before any of the others mentioned so far myself

deiseach

Summary of David Norris's woes here. You know you're in trouble when you are claiming you were misquoted.

I think it has to be someone with a little political nous. One of the functions of the job is to only open your mouth when the government requires you to open your mouth. It'd be hard to see some explicitly anti-establishment figure doing that and it would quickly get messy. Michael D looks the best bet - so far

Hardy

Quote from: deiseach on May 31, 2011, 01:52:16 PM
Summary of David Norris's woes here. You know you're in trouble when you are claiming you were misquoted.

I think it has to be someone with a little political nous. One of the functions of the job is to only open your mouth when the government requires you to open your mouth. It'd be hard to see some explicitly anti-establishment figure doing that and it would quickly get messy. Michael D looks the best bet - so far

Seems like Norris's Adi Roche moment.

It's a bit depressing that we can't muster a decent candidate and the fact that you may be right about Michael Dee is depressing. Though he will undoubtedly have to face his Adi Roche moment too when someone drags up the recording of him calling Michael Graham a w**ker on the George hook show. As unpresidential language it far outstrips "wow!".

Bogball XV

Quote from: highorlow on May 31, 2011, 11:38:16 AM
Are peopled arsed about the presidential campaign?

I see a smear campaign has been made public against the gay nominee Norris. He seems popular with the public but that's probably more down to the amount of gay talk show hosts on our screens these days than any policy he has.

Sean Gallagher is about the best of them?
Can't be having Gallagher at all, Norris would be my preference.

An awful hatchet job done on him, apparently this same story was out 10yrs ago and was defended by him then and went away.  I heard him on talking earlier and you've got to feel sorry for the way they've tried f**king him over on this.  Definitely naive, but honest.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hardy on May 31, 2011, 02:33:15 PM
Quote from: deiseach on May 31, 2011, 01:52:16 PM

Seems like Norris's Adi Roche moment.

It's a bit depressing that we can't muster a decent candidate and the fact that you may be right about Michael Dee is depressing. Though he will undoubtedly have to face his Adi Roche moment too when someone drags up the recording of him calling Michael Graham a w**ker on the George hook show. As unpresidential language it far outstrips "wow!".

Michael Dee called Michael Graham a w**ker on the George hook show? He'll be getting my vote so.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

liihb

Not to be ageist, but isn't Michael Dee a bit old?
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Hardy

Some of my best friends are old. (Now if you had said " a bit odd"...)

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: liihb on May 31, 2011, 03:06:51 PM

I thought Presidents were meant to be relatively old. At least it adds some gravitas.

Can't see Norris as Presidential material. Would be guaranteed to do or say something daft somwhere down the line.

Bogball XV

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 31, 2011, 03:11:48 PM

I thought Presidents were meant to be relatively old. At least it adds some gravitas.

Can't see Norris as Presidential material. Would be guaranteed to do or say something daft somwhere down the line.
I know, you'd never see an american, italian, imf head man come out with something daft.  Btw, we used to have Bertie Ahern as our taoiseach.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 31, 2011, 03:45:21 PM

Btw, we used to have Bertie Ahern as our taoiseach.

Jaysus really I never knew that. Learn something new every day.

Mentalman

I know, you'd never see an american, italian, imf head man come out with something daft.  Btw, we used to have Bertie Ahern as our taoiseach.

In fairness the Taoiseach is voted for by the Dail, not the eltorate, directly anyway. The electorate hasn't done a bad job of selecting Presidents, by and large, although it's a job with limited power and until recently who's main trait needed to be the ability to bite your lip, keep your mouth shut and smile at the appropriate moment.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Rois

I'm off to meet Mary at the Aras in July.  I'll ask her who she'd prefer to see in there next.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Mentalman on May 31, 2011, 04:02:29 PM

In fairness the Taoiseach is voted for by the Dail, not the eltorate, directly anyway. The electorate hasn't done a bad job of selecting Presidents, by and large, although it's a job with limited power and until recently who's main trait needed to be the ability to bite your lip, keep your mouth shut and smile at the appropriate moment.
The people know who the party leaders are in advance of the election, they have a fair idea who will lead the country if they achieve a dail majority.