i never knew they were irish..

Started by lawnseed, April 13, 2011, 11:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spuds

Socrates the Brazilian 1982 world cup footballer studied in UCD and lined out for their winning fitzgibbon team in 1981 missing the final for a straight red for throwing the hurl at Sylvie Linnanes moustache after Sylvie commenting on his tan and all over body hair.

WJP
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Aerlik

Quote from: isourboydownyet on April 14, 2011, 04:41:30 PM
Quote from: Franko on April 14, 2011, 04:38:35 PM
Declan Donnelly (Ant & Dec) has relations from Derry or Tyrone AFAIK.

your 100% correct,his dad is from desertmartin of all places and has a uncle living in bellaghy

Shit.  that was one I was happy to give to the bushmen.

Patrick Dodson, the first ever Australian Aboriginal Catholic priest, had a grandfather from Co. Monaghan.  I used to fly him around the Kimberley in his work for Indigenous Rights and he was both complimentary and critical of the Irish in Oz down the years. 

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

muppet

Quote from: Aerlik on April 15, 2011, 06:28:01 AM
Quote from: isourboydownyet on April 14, 2011, 04:41:30 PM
Quote from: Franko on April 14, 2011, 04:38:35 PM
Declan Donnelly (Ant & Dec) has relations from Derry or Tyrone AFAIK.

your 100% correct,his dad is from desertmartin of all places and has a uncle living in bellaghy

Shit.  that was one I was happy to give to the bushmen.

Patrick Dodson, the first ever Australian Aboriginal Catholic priest, had a grandfather from Co. Monaghan.  I used to fly him around the Kimberley in his work for Indigenous Rights and he was both complimentary and critical of the Irish in Oz down the years.

Complimentary before landing and critical after?
MWWSI 2017

Shamrock Shore

Mel Gibson's mother is actually from Longford.

Canalman

AZOffaly

Quote from: Olly on April 14, 2011, 10:42:52 PM
I'm nearly sure I read somewhere that Elvis Pressley was reputedly born in Longford or Bundoran or some 8-letter town in Ireland. It was in a book written by Dr Phil McGraw.

Close Olly, but it's actually Shinrone, in Offaly. He had a promising career until he fell in with the wrong crowd on a stag in Las Vegas, and wasn't seen after that. Ara Elvis, where did it all go wrong a mhic?

Canalman

Veering horribly away from OP.

Richard Kuslinski (Google him). His mam was from Dublin.

Joe Kinnear was also born in Dublin, moved over to London as a kid, hence the accent.

nrico2006

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on April 14, 2011, 05:22:36 PM
James Smith, George Taylor, Matthew Thornton - three of the eight foreign signatories of the American Declaration of Independence, were Irish.

And the Printer of the Declaration, John Dunlap, was a Strabane man.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Sorry Richard Kuklinski.......... got spelling wrong.

boojangles

Lead singers of Kasabian and Elbow both claim Irish ancestry. Mayo I believe.

Tony Baloney

Can I bring you all back to post 1 on page 1. Lawnseed's post was "born Irish". Half the the people you listed had ties so remote they probably didn't know during their own lifetime that they had any connection with Ireland.

Oh Dermot O'Leary.

The missus says she saw Ant from Ant and Dec in Tesco's in Craigavon last week so he may have family round that way. Or it wasn't him.

Kerry Mike

Ernest Shackleton

JFK and the clan of Kennedy's

John L. Sullivan - first heavyweight champion of gloved boxing
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Ulick

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 14, 2011, 06:38:43 PM
Bernardo O'Higgins

Not quite, he was the bastard son of an Irishman and his mistress. The father never acknowledged him during his life. Something ironically Bernardo was to do later with his own children. Nevertheless a great man.

ziggysego

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 15, 2011, 11:19:20 AM
Can I bring you all back to post 1 on page 1. Lawnseed's post was "born Irish". Half the the people you listed had ties so remote they probably didn't know during their own lifetime that they had any connection with Ireland.

Oh Dermot O'Leary.

The missus says she saw Ant from Ant and Dec in Tesco's in Craigavon last week so he may have family round that way. Or it wasn't him.

Dermot was born in Essex. ;)
Testing Accessibility

deiseach

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 15, 2011, 11:19:20 AM

Julia Bradbury