Get ready to wave them flegs - Lily Windsor's coming

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 23, 2010, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 14, 2011, 11:06:55 AM
Quote from: AQMP on May 14, 2011, 09:11:38 AM
I note according to the BBC this morning, the Guards have rounded up the usual suspects and armed Metropolitan Police officers will be on the streets of the Free State during the Nellie Dean's visit.

They must be fuckn timetravellers, fck sake you 6 county heads are pure headwreckers. IT IS IRELAND, GET FUCKN USED TO IT.
If we are 6 county heads then surely you must be 26 county heads? Any way if you must be pedantic it is The Republic of Ireland.

armaghniac

Of course it is  IRELAND. Not even the most nordish nordie thinks that the Freestate is not part of Ireland.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 14, 2011, 02:17:28 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 14, 2011, 11:06:55 AM
Quote from: AQMP on May 14, 2011, 09:11:38 AM
I note according to the BBC this morning, the Guards have rounded up the usual suspects and armed Metropolitan Police officers will be on the streets of the Free State during the Nellie Dean's visit.

They must be fuckn timetravellers, fck sake you 6 county heads are pure headwreckers. IT IS IRELAND, GET FUCKN USED TO IT.
If we are 6 county heads then surely you must be 26 county heads? Any way if you must be pedantic it is The Republic of Ireland.

To be Pedantic it is NOT, it is Ireland or Éire. The Republic of Ireland is an Association Football International (Soccer) Team, not a country, FACT. No such country as the Republic of Ireland.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ziggysego

The UDA's five brigadiers and 30 others from their community are attending the Queen's wreath laying for war dead during her Dublin visit. - @EamonnMallie
Testing Accessibility

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: armaghniac on May 14, 2011, 02:27:47 PM
Of course it is  IRELAND. Not even the most nordish nordie thinks that the Freestate is not part of Ireland.

The Free State is a redundant term. The Irish Free State has long been replaced by the Republic known as Ireland or Éire, acceptably referred to as the Irish Republic. Ireland is also the name of an Island off the Continent of Europe/Eurasia.

Your choice of words, not mine.

Rossfan

Quote from: ziggysego on May 14, 2011, 03:03:01 PM
The UDA's five gang leaders and 30 others from their community are attending the BRITISH Queen's wreath laying for BRITISH war dead during her Dublin visit. - @EamonnMallie

Fixed that for you and Eamonn  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rossfan on May 14, 2011, 03:13:39 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on May 14, 2011, 03:03:01 PM
The UDA's five gang leaders and 30 others from their community are attending the BRITISH Queen's wreath laying for BRITISH war dead during her Dublin visit. - @EamonnMallie

Fixed that for you and Eamonn  ;)

Fixed that for you Rossfan  ;)

Applesisapples

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 14, 2011, 03:04:19 PM

The Free State is a redundant term. The Irish Free State has long been replaced by the Republic known as Ireland or Éire, acceptably referred to as the Irish Republic. Ireland is also the name of an Island off the Continent of Europe/Eurasia.

I don't know whats up your a** but I do find your constant referrals to Nordies, Nordish and six county heads some what insulting. We are Irishmen just like you, unfortunately we currently find ourselves living in a part of Ireland which is still under British Jurisdiction, the undertone from your posts consisentlly infers that if you are from the North then you are some how a lesser brand of Irishman.

Hardy

... and your consistent references to the non-existent "Free State" are meant to convey what, precisely? It has been said so often now that many here find the term offensive that its continued use could reasonably be construed as intended to offend.

Fear ón Srath Bán

And just to clarify matters further: the term 'Ireland' (Éire) was drafted when Articles 2 and 3 of the Irish Constitution were in place, giving legitimacy to the all Ireland 32 county claim.

Since those articles have now been rescinded, it could be argued that any terms predicated on the basis of those same articles are now themselves obsolete, and refer to a non-existent claim. Notwithstanding that obsolescence, however, any reference to 'Ireland' actually refers to the 32 counties, not the 26, as per the original framing of that reference.

Or is that muddying the waters further?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

armaghniac

Quoteand your consistent references to the non-existent "Free State" are meant to convey what, precisely? It has been said so often now that many here find the term offensive that its continued use could reasonably be construed as intended to offend.

Hardy, there is no symmetry between these things. Names are used for places, Freestate shorter to write than than 26 counties. I used the term Nordie in my post, somewhat tongue in cheek. But mayogodhelpus has a distasteful exclusionist agenda that he is Irish and 6 county contributors are not. It is entirely unacceptable to imply that others are less than you in this way.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

Quote from: armaghniac on May 14, 2011, 05:34:48 PM
Quoteand your consistent references to the non-existent "Free State" are meant to convey what, precisely? It has been said so often now that many here find the term offensive that its continued use could reasonably be construed as intended to offend.

Hardy, there is no symmetry between these things. Names are used for places, Freestate shorter to write than than 26 counties. I used the term Nordie in my post, somewhat tongue in cheek. But mayogodhelpus has a distasteful exclusionist agenda that he is Irish and 6 county contributors are not. It is entirely unacceptable to imply that others are less than you in this way.

Armaghniac, you may be right that mghu has an exclusionist agenda (I don't have the time to read all his posts) so fire away and debate that with him. My point was an independent one - simply responding to the complaint about the use of insulting terms by pointing out that offensiveness works both ways and  many here find the "Free State" term offensive.

I should point out that I don't really give a toss. People are too precious these days about what offends them and I believe in the majority of cases the appropriate response to "I'm offended by that" is "so what?". I was just making a debating point with Applesisapples.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: armaghniac on May 14, 2011, 05:34:48 PM

NO, Free State is inaccurate and offensive, it has been said on here regularly and agreed upon by most 26 county posters. Don't tell us how we should fuckn feel about the word.

I challange you to find posts were I use the term Nordie or Nordish (except posts like this to make this point). I do not deny you are Irish. You can be Irish because you live on the Island or Ireland, You can be Irish because you have Irish ancestory, you can be Irish by holding an Irish passport, You can be Irish based on the Good Friday Agreement. I don't have an anti-6 county agenda, I am reactionary to insults towards the 26 counties, our institutions or using offensive terminology such as Free State. Thank You very much.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 14, 2011, 04:38:32 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 14, 2011, 03:04:19 PM

I don't know whats up your a** but I do find your constant referrals to Nordies, Nordish[/color] and six county heads some what insulting. We are Irishmen just like you, unfortunately we currently find ourselves living in a part of Ireland which is still under British Jurisdiction, the undertone from your posts consisentlly infers that if you are from the North then you are some how a lesser brand of Irishman.

FIND THEM, SO BIG LAD.

ONCE

Talk out of your hole much  ???

I find your use of the term Free State in reference to the Irish State of 2011 deeply offensive, hence my retort.

Fear ón Srath Bán

'Free State' for some of us northern brethren is a description of reality as we see it, and must not be confused with the rather derogatory term 'Free Stater', i.e, the 26 county state is free from British rule, unlike the 6 county statelet, which has nothing to do with the pro-British Free Stater disposition of the Irish Civil War.

The term 'Ireland' cannot be invoked other than in a 32 county context, and the Irish Constitution will corroborate that, as it's currently constituted.

So, (some) 26 county lads, lose the preciousness about the 'free state' moniker, and (some) 6 county lads, lose the preciousness about their preciousness  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...