Get ready to wave them flegs - Lily Windsor's coming

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 23, 2010, 06:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banana Man

Quote from: thebigfella on April 15, 2011, 01:24:38 PM
Quote from: ludermor on April 15, 2011, 11:39:29 AM
And the winner is Muppet.

+1

i'd expect nothing else of you, you're always sitting trying to ahve pops at me without the balls to fully engage, always sniping from the sideline

pig and grunt

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Banana Man on April 15, 2011, 01:53:15 PM

+1

i'd expect nothing else of you, you're always sitting trying to ahve pops at me without the balls to fully engage, always sniping from the sideline

pig and grunt

Sounds like the Provos for the last 30-35 years.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Banana Man

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 15, 2011, 01:55:19 PM

+1

pig and grunt

funny that seeing as they have been on permanent ceasefire for the last 13 years

Trout

Quote from: Banana Man on April 15, 2011, 02:40:53 PM

+1

pig and grunt

funny that seeing as they have been on permanent ceasefire for the last 13 years

Try telling that to the family of Paul Quinn.
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Ulick

Puckoon

Good job the touts didn't scupper that one - otherwise that lovely picture might paint a different scene.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Ulick on April 15, 2011, 02:51:21 PM

http://www.enotes.com/topic/Attack_on_Derryard_checkpoint

According to the Brits it was like the Battle of the Somme:

And it's not as if the Provos ever used "artistic license" to tell their side of the story:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8VS7oxMe0s&feature=related

(Btw, after Michael Jackson's "Ben", the above is possibly my second favourite song about rats...)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hardy on April 14, 2011, 02:50:13 PM
Ah lads.

You are dead right, Hardy.
We never had to resort to that.  ;D
Seriously, this spat has long gone past the argument stage and it's now an outright quarrel.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Nally Stand

+1

pig and grunt

Or FG for the last 14?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 14, 2011, 06:36:37 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 14, 2011, 09:13:58 AM
You wont ever want to 'get it'  - its about the economy – if the economic situation was right, jobs were had for the peoples of the 6 counties outwith the civil service and jobs were abundant again for southern citizens, then only apathy would halt a reunification.
Flipping that over, are you saying that nationalists would be happy to maintain partition if the economics made sense? Or are you saying that the unionist position isn't as principled and is 'easier bought'?
yes - this also kills off evil myles' argument (above) ...once everyone is ok and money in everyones pocket, not many want to change the status quo and risk upsetting the apple cart.
unionists have been proven time and again to change or bend their 'principles' for the lure of money - rem a few short years ago would 'never never never' cross the border...then when there was money to be made hand ovr fist in the Dot com and Celtic Tiger times, they quickly forgot these 'principles' and broke all (our) speed limits to get to Dublin, the jobs and the money !!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 15, 2011, 04:59:42 PM
You wont ever want to 'get it'  - its about the economy – if the economic situation was right, jobs were had for the peoples of the 6 counties outwith the civil service and jobs were abundant again for southern citizens, then only apathy would halt a reunification.
Flipping that over, are you saying that nationalists would be happy to maintain partition if the economics made sense? Or are you saying that the unionist position isn't as principled and is 'easier bought'?
yes - this also kills off evil myles' argument (above) ...once everyone is ok and money in everyones pocket, not many want to change the status quo and risk upsetting the apple cart.
unionists have been proven time and again to change or bend their 'principles' for the lure of money - rem a few short years ago would 'never never never' cross the border...then when there was money to be made hand ovr fist in the Dot com and Celtic Tiger times, they quickly forgot these 'principles' and broke all (our) speed limits to get to Dublin, the jobs and the money !!

Sure it won't take them long before they are in charge, propping up minority FG, SF or Labour Party Governments.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 14, 2011, 06:27:32 PM
For evidence I quoted the Good Friday Agreement and the official NI Census Website, as well as referring to every election result this Century, plus the considered, expert opinion of Prof. Brendan O'Leary, speaking at a Sinn Fein Conference in New York.
Meanwhile, you and Aoise offered precisely nothing of that nature in evidence. .

If it were only about the economy, then how do you explain this? The ROI economy roared ahead of the the NI economy (or at least appeared to!) in the 10 years leading up to 2009. Yet over the same period, the Nationalist share of the vote in successive elections in NI quite clearly stalled.
And now that the ROI economy is obviously in reverse, whilst the NI economy is being propped up to some extent by the link with GB, insofar as voters (both Unionist and Nationalist) are influenced over the constitutional question by economics*, if anything, the Nationalist share of the vote might be expected to recede.

* - Btw, I'm not sure they actually are, but if there should be movement, it isn't going to be in favour of Unity.

Yet you and Aoise both contend that the Queen's Visit is designed to speed up the process towards unity. Don't you want it to happen as soon as possible?
Or does your own personal wellbeing* depend on keeping the border for another while yet?  :D

* - Job? Pension? Health Care? Education?

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 14, 2011, 09:13:58 AMGlad to see you are admitting that there 'WILL' be a reunification, unionists like yourself have had to change the old mantra from 'never'  to  'not in my lifetime'
"Unionists like yourself"?
You have a childish and unconvincing habit of ascribing the views of others to individuals with whom you are debating.
For the record, I do not accept that there WILL be "reunification" [sic].
Nor have I ever claimed that a single Irish state will "never" come about.
I leave it to you and your arrogance to make cast-iron predictions regarding future events about which no-one can be certain.

Rather, my position is clear. Namely, since the GFA, I genuinely believe that the constitutional position of NI within the UK is now stronger than it has ever been - i.e. no more Constitutional claim by ROI; no agitation for unity in the USA and elsewhere; no continuing murder campaign by SF/IRA; plus the acceptance of the Union, enshrined in Treaty, by all the main political parties in Westminster.

Consequently the Union may only be broken by a majority vote within NI, with a decade or more of Polls showing no sign whatever of that being realised - and that's before  the ROI economy crumbled!

Further, I see no prospect of anything in the foreseeable future which is liable to change that. On the contrary, now that Catholics/Nationalists have got equal rights etc in NI, if anything, they might be more likely to stick with the status quo, rather than take their chance in a new and unknown settlement, with all the doubts and uncertainty (jobs, health, education etc) which that would bring.

And all of that  is to be reckoned with before  we seek the consent to unity of voters in the Republic...  :D
long winded clap trap again imo.
Your comments (and attributions) proving what exactly?

I don't say the queen will speed up reunification, funnily enough imo at least the queen is less popular per capita in England (no I don't have proof or stats, only those I know) than in the north of Ireland !!
I think she may cost us more than 'potential' tourism might bring back in.

The 'Economy' roarded but the population swing had not 'swung' at that time. There has to be correct numbers, rerefendum, consensus and of course the economic climate. This is obviously going to happen in time. To try to delude yourself otherwise shows how much you dislike the reality of this coming  - where in your lifetime or not !!

deal with it !!  :D

Evil Genius

Irishmen moving abroad to get a bigger wage, even to the land of "the enemy"  is hardly unique to Unionists, is it?

The simple fact is that for over a decade, whilst the ROI economy appeared to be powering ahead, and the NI economy was relatively static, opposition to a United Ireland amongst NI Unionists remained as strong as ever.

Simultaneously, support for a United Ireland amongst (NI) Nationalists plateaued.

Them's the facts, no matter how much you blether and squirm.  :D

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 15, 2011, 05:14:12 PM
Irishmen moving abroad to get a bigger wage, even to the land of "the enemy"  is hardly unique to Unionists, is it?

The simple fact is that for over a decade, whilst the ROI economy appeared to be powering ahead, and the NI economy was relatively static, opposition to a United Ireland amongst NI Unionists remained as strong as ever.

Simultaneously, support for a United Ireland amongst (NI) Nationalists plateaued.

Them's the facts, no matter how much you blether and squirm.  :D
hence the change from 'never never never ' cross the border to living and working 'down in Dublin'
yep - thats right ! :D

the only person squirming is yerself when you keep whinging about the reunification that will undeniably come !
:D

Maguire01

So until the Republic's economy does a complete 180, not many will want to change anything? If that's the case, then change is a long long way off.