Author Topic: Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.  (Read 355551 times)

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
Re: Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.
« Reply #4920 on: January 15, 2018, 11:03:41 AM »
I presume "Head Office" decided it was time he went due to the level of negative publicity.
2017 Double Connacht Champions

Hereiam

• View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: January 15, 2018, 11:06:10 AM »
This has been badly managed by SF from start to finish. O'Neill is no leader and never will be, she is a poor replacement and i still don't understand why she was picked for the job. The fact that media outlets were willing to take this into a second week shows that it was not going to be swept under the carpet so BMcE has done the right thing this time.
You have to fear for SF going forward if this is a sign of how they intend to manage small mistakes like this, there is a real possibility of them becoming how the SDLP are now if they are not careful.

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: January 15, 2018, 11:06:41 AM »
I presume "Head Office" decided it was time he went due to the level of negative publicity.

Either way, if you compare it to say how long Alan Shatter took before he got the bullet I think it is fair to say it was dealt with a lot quicker

tonto1888

• View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: January 15, 2018, 11:12:58 AM »
This has been badly managed by SF from start to finish. O'Neill is no leader and never will be, she is a poor replacement and i still don't understand why she was picked for the job. The fact that media outlets were willing to take this into a second week shows that it was not going to be swept under the carpet so BMcE has done the right thing this time.
You have to fear for SF going forward if this is a sign of how they intend to manage small mistakes like this, there is a real possibility of them becoming how the SDLP are now if they are not careful.

Whilst I don't think BmE done it purposefully to cause hurt for Kingsmill survivors, it was more than a small mistake
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 11:22:07 AM by tonto1888 »

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: January 15, 2018, 11:15:30 AM »
Ultimately the correct decision, I think he should have done it a week ago but at least it show's some level of accountability for his actions. It sends a message out that certain standards are expected of public representatives and negates any accusations of hypocrisy. For the Sinn Fein bashers it will probably still not be enough though. 

Applesisapples

• View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: January 15, 2018, 11:18:00 AM »
Barry McElduff's resignation was most likely on the cards from last week. I'd guess that was the deal with the leadership, that he be allowed to resign and not be seen to be ousted by the sometimes faux outrage. Don't hold your breath on Unionist Politicians being held to the same standard, they have no shame.

AQMP

• View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: January 15, 2018, 11:20:56 AM »
The result from the GE in June:

Barry McElduff (SF)            22,060        50.7%
Thomas Buchanan (DUP)    11,718        26.9%
Daniel McCrossan (SDLP)     5,635         13.0%
Alicia Clarke (UUP)              2,253          5.2%   
Stephen Donnelly (All)        1,000           2.3%
Ciaran McClean (Green)         427           1.0%
Barry Brown (CISTA)             393           0.9%

Majority                            10,342        23.8%

Turnout                            43,675        68.2%

On these figures it would take something earth shattering for SF to lose this seat.  McElduff got more than 50% of the vote.

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: January 15, 2018, 11:24:50 AM »
Barry McElduff's resignation was most likely on the cards from last week. I'd guess that was the deal with the leadership, that he be allowed to resign and not be seen to be ousted by the sometimes faux outrage. Don't hold your breath on Unionist Politicians being held to the same standard, they have no shame.

I'd say the interview Alan Black had with Miriam over the weekend put the tin hat on it. You could see it genuinely hurt him and that as one of the victims there was no party politics at play. What McElduff did negligently or otherwise was wrong and he had to go.

Now they're saying it took too long which is true but hopefully it will allow us to hold the Unionists to a higher standard going forward as some of the stuff they have gotten away with is shocking especially Arlene!

You would think the seat is fairly safe although the Unionists are already suggesting a bi-partisan victims candidate which will make it very difficult for Sinn Fein

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: January 15, 2018, 11:30:00 AM »

I'd say the interview Alan Black had with Miriam over the weekend put the tin hat on it. You could see it genuinely hurt him and that as one of the victims there was no party politics at play. What McElduff did negligently or otherwise was wrong and he had to go.

Now they're saying it took too long which is true but hopefully it will allow us to hold the Unionists to a higher standard going forward as some of the stuff they have gotten away with is shocking especially Arlene!

You would think the seat is fairly safe although the Unionists are already suggesting a bi-partisan victims candidate which will make it very difficult for Sinn Fein

The cute thing to do would be for SF to support an agreed anti Brexit candidate, ideally a Protestant businessman. As Brexit is a once off this would not allow have their own candidate in the future.
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AQMP

• View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: January 15, 2018, 11:31:07 AM »

This was tried before with Nigel Lutton in the Mid-Ulster by-election in 2013 without success (though I seem to remember that Lutton had some security force background?)

AQMP

• View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: January 15, 2018, 11:33:01 AM »

The cute thing to do would be for SF to support an agreed anti Brexit candidate, ideally a Protestant businessman. As Brexit is a once off this would not allow have their own candidate in the future.

First question...where do you stand on a United Ireland, Mr Protestant Businessman Anti-Brexit candidate??  This is West Tyrone we're talking about.

Applesisapples

• View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: January 15, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »
Arelene has some neck on her, saying that SF has some way to go...Jesus wept.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: January 15, 2018, 11:53:21 AM »

First question...where do you stand on a United Ireland, Mr Protestant Businessman Anti-Brexit candidate??  This is West Tyrone we're talking about.

The diplomatic answer would be that if the Brexit is fecked up then there should be a border poll.

Armamike

• View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: January 15, 2018, 12:35:10 PM »
I wouldn't be too critical of the timing. Politicians don't usually resign in a hurry so as resignations go it hasn't been too long drawn out.
It won't satisfy the DUP and TUV, but who cares about that.  Importantly for SF it restores a bit of credibility to them and their calls for respect etc.  They couldn't in all seriousness be seen to be continuing with that mantra, with the McElduff thing in the background.
I'll have a shower and then phone my brother up

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: January 15, 2018, 12:48:10 PM »
Of course, you can only resign as a Westminster MP by being appointed to an office such as the Chiltern Hundreds, so Barry will be an officer of the Crown for a few minutes anyway.