FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 13, 2017, 10:22:58 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 13, 2017, 09:53:26 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 13, 2017, 09:41:49 PM
A World cup without Italy!

Good and the more world cups where the likes of italy and holland dont go then the sooner fifa realise their folly of giving all the extra spots in expanded tournaments to pub teams from asia, africa and central america. No-one cared when a good croatia ukraine or even ireland didnt qualify in the past but muck like saudi arabia, algeria honduras north korea etc did. Watch how quickly qualifying changes if ever germany, france or spain feck it up.

2026 has 48 teams

Thats my point 16 new places and 3 go to UEFA like WTF. The other big football super power is conmebol and 6 of their 10 teams will go thats the equivalent of serbia ireland wales and austria all qualifying this time ie basically just f**king turn up. Its a joke

MW

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 13, 2017, 10:06:05 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 13, 2017, 09:59:44 PM

Good and the more world cups where the likes of italy and holland dont go then the sooner fifa realise their folly of giving all the extra spots in expanded tournaments to pub teams from asia, africa and central america. No-one cared when a good croatia ukraine or even ireland didnt qualify in the past but muck like saudi arabia, algeria honduras north korea etc did. Watch how quickly qualifying changes if ever germany, france or spain feck it up.

I think Italy are soccer royalty in a way France or Spain are not actually, so this result would have shaken things up anyway I think, if they hadn't already decided to go to 40 or whatever it is next time around. I'm gutted Italy won't be there. They are never the most exciting to watch, but they ooze class, and filth in equal measure. Also Buffon is my favourite soccer player i think. He genuinely acts like a really nice guy.

Plus the anthem, the jerseys, Goalazzzo. Shit I'm disappointed Sweden will be there instead of them.

A sad end to his international career if tonight was his final game. 1958 since Italy didn't reach the World cup?

As a mate of mine pointed out, it's the first ever World Cup not to feature either Italy or Northern Ireland...

laoislad

Sad news about Liam Miller. Cancer is a cnut.
Hopefully he pulls through.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: MW on November 13, 2017, 10:46:50 PM

I think Italy are soccer royalty in a way France or Spain are not actually, so this result would have shaken things up anyway I think, if they hadn't already decided to go to 40 or whatever it is next time around. I'm gutted Italy won't be there. They are never the most exciting to watch, but they ooze class, and filth in equal measure. Also Buffon is my favourite soccer player i think. He genuinely acts like a really nice guy.

Plus the anthem, the jerseys, Goalazzzo. Shit I'm disappointed Sweden will be there instead of them.

A sad end to his international career if tonight was his final game. 1958 since Italy didn't reach the World cup?

As a mate of mine pointed out, it's the first ever World Cup not to feature either Italy or Northern Ireland...

Ha very good defo world cups loss and thats just norn iron

Main Street

Somehow it's most always overlooked or forgiven when it come to Italy  but they have a consistent quota of players in any of their teams who dive, cheat, simulate great agony, just like in this game. This evening the ref didn't buy one of their pranks but he should have booked 2 or 3 of the worst offenders. I'm not 'unglad' that Italy are out.

With the bar's baseline figure now being lowered to 24% possession this evening, that makes Ireland seem almost technically proficient in the possession stakes.

BennyCake

Quote from: laoislad on November 13, 2017, 10:56:34 PM
Sad news about Liam Miller. Cancer is a cnut.
Hopefully he pulls through.

Just seen that. Sad news indeed. Hopefully he'll get through it.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Main Street on November 13, 2017, 11:01:16 PM
Somehow it's most always overlooked or forgiven when it come to Italy  but they have a consistent quota of players in any of their teams who dive, cheat, simulate great agony, just like in this game. This evening the ref didn't buy one of their pranks but he should have booked 2 or 3 of the worst offenders. I'm not 'unglad' that Italy are out.

With the bar's baseline figure now being lowered to 24% possession this evening, that makes Ireland seem almost technically proficient in the possession stakes.

Yeh tiki taka is dead long live hoof ball to noone and cack your pants when you have the ball just get c#nting rid if it. Barcelona are secretly practicing this pioneering style. The art is to get possession to under 5% maybe we will give it a go tomorrow

Syferus

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 13, 2017, 11:25:17 PM

Yeh tiki taka is dead long live hoof ball to noone and cack your pants when you have the ball just get c#nting rid if it. Barcelona are secretly practicing this pioneering style. The art is to get possession to under 5% maybe we will give it a go tomorrow

Seems like a hell of a lot of apparently technically good sides are having a torrid time trying to beat our hoofball style.

Capt Pat

That is another nil all draw in the world cup qualifiers. I fancy tomorrow nights game will go the same way.

Italy won't be missed. Who did they have on their team? It is not like 94 when they had baggio and Zola in their squad. This time around all the hype is about Buffon retiring, not on the great players who will miss the world cup.

An Watcher

Have to say I'll miss the great Italian defenders such as Chiellini, Barzagli and Buffon missing out.  They don't seem to have the forward players of the past but I've no doubt they'll be back.  Fair play to the Swedes tho.

Avondhu star

I blame the standard of referees. It's getting so difficult to bribe them nowadays
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

AQMP

Quote from: MW on November 13, 2017, 10:46:50 PM

1930?

straightred

Quote from: An Watcher on November 14, 2017, 07:58:09 AM
Have to say I'll miss the great Italian defenders such as Chiellini, Barzagli and Buffon missing out.  They don't seem to have the forward players of the past but I've no doubt they'll be back.  Fair play to the Swedes tho.

They had Insigne on the bench. He's having a great season with Napoli. Strange decision to leave him out.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Main Street on November 12, 2017, 08:11:48 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 12, 2017, 03:44:01 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 12, 2017, 03:39:54 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 12, 2017, 03:38:37 PM
Because they're a mediocre bunch of footballers who have been coached into playing a system that has no room for continuity, flair or intuition. Which means that when they go a goal down va a better side, they simply don't have the belief or experience to make a game of it.

The World Cup will bea horror show if we get there
I think you're intentionally avoiding my question. What's the difference between Ireland and Iceland with regards to progressing at the world cup? My point is that we can be coached to achieve better than you're suggesting.

Jesus I'm not avoiding the point.

Iceland are a limited side who've worked out if they counter attack with intent, they can spoil and beat better teams.

Ireland have absolutely no game plan / tactics for counter attacking. They just boot the ball away. It's kot possession football, it's not territory football, it's shot football.
From what I've seen, Iceland are anything but a limited team, they have deservedly topped their qual group, have beaten Turkey, Croatia and Ukraine at home and hammered Turkey away in a crunch group decider. That's not the stuff of a limited team, that's the stuff of an excellent team who have emerged from limited circumstances.  Iceland play as a team of players who know each other inside out, they play (mostly)  a sophisticated flexible  442, which can only be achieved with every player in a disciplined manner understanding their role and their fellow players. That's football intelligence in action.
I'd share most people's turn off with Ireland's utter inability to posses the ball.
However, for these play offs it's 100% about the result and O'Neill  succeeded in neutralising  Denmark to the extent of them only having 3  or so shots on goal. The cliche applies, it's only half time.
I've just looked at the clubs that Iceland's squad play for, as, strangely, it seems to be the main reason that many posters use to justify Ireland's inability to play good football, or to achieve.

Here are the clubs of their most capped players: Randers, Aberdeen, Rubin Kazan, Lokeren, Burnley, Aston Villa, Everton, Cardiff City.

If Ireland shouldn't be expected to win their group and if "we don't have the players" to play decent football because our players don't play for top clubs, then how do Iceland buck this trend?

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch