Premier League 2019/20

Started by Boycey, June 10, 2019, 01:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Anyone want to share why they started following the one they do? It can be any reason at all, good player, dad supported them, cousins near the area etc. My reason for following Utd is because they finished runners up in 1994/95 in the league and lost the cup final as well. Mad I know, but we're all a bit crazy  :)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

thewobbler

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 12, 2020, 10:05:39 AM
Anyone want to share why they started following the one they do? It can be any reason at all, good player, dad supported them, cousins near the area etc. My reason for following Utd is because they finished runners up in 1994/95 in the league and lost the cup final as well. Mad I know, but we're all a bit crazy  :)

Went to a Spurs v Milan friendly in 1988 mainly to see Van Basten, Gullit and Rijkard, and Gascoigne.

I've no clear picture of what he did that day, but Chris Waddle was outstanding, and i began following Spurs from then as a result.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Boycey on June 05, 2020, 04:43:52 PM
I'm sure there'll be somebody on here willing to sympathize with this lot and their plight.at the hands of UEFA

https://twitter.com/City_Xtra/status/1268834266605146114?s=19

Not sympathising - but they are in trouble due to the leaking of hacked documents. I can see them running riot during their appeal. It probably could and should be declared inadmissible.

laoislad

Support the team that finishes 2nd, that's such a Mayo thing to do.... ;D
I have no real idea why I started supporting Liverpool, apart from the were the best team at the time.
I do remember though that my local GAA club had yellow jerseys with a red pin stripe down the front, which was almost an exact replica of Liverpools away strip back then, so I think that may have played a part, so maybe a mixture of that and them being the best at time,around 1984, 1985 era.
Whatever it was I made the right choice anyway.  ;)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

tintin25

We had just moved house and I was around 7/8 at the time.  The only team I had heard of or could recall at that stage was Liverpool, but made friends with a lad of the same age in the new estate and he told me he supported Man U and that I should support them - so that was that!  Wise choice I think, especially given the dominance in the 90s lol

Boycey

I don't remember starting to follow Utd I just always did, possibly my father's influence as although being a dyed in the wool GAA traditionalist he was also a sports fanatic with a knowledge and interest from all things from cricket to boxing and most sports in-between.

The first game I remember on TV was the Cup Final of '76, a loss to Southampton and the first time seeing Utd live was a friendly between Utd and Home Farm at Tolka Park in Dec 1980. Bizarrely I'm nearly sure Emyln Hughes played for Home Farm, Ronnie Whelan certainly did but the connection with him and Home Farm is obvious.

Wobbler was that Spurs/Milan game at Wembley? If so I was at it too. It was part of a pre-season tournament with Arsenal and someone else??

lurganblue

Started getting interested in football in the early 90s.  My oul fella wouldn't be a supporter of any soccer teams, GAA only.  My older brother has not much interest in sport at all.  I can actually remember enjoying match of the day one evening when Villa came on.  I loved the kit, I loved that the team had so many Irish players at the time and they were a decent side.  I made my choice there and then.

It's been a hard road  ;D , especially the early school years.  Plenty of slagging from supporters of the more popular sides.   

Denn Forever

Have to admit not a real soccer fan and don't appreciate/understand tactics.  I follow AFC Wimbledon and it all started when I was working in a school where being mid 90's everyone supported Man U.

The children would ask me who I supported and I was sick of saying nobody really so I said Wimbledon and they were disgusted. Having said it, I had to keep it up  and Wimbledon were my sort of team, the plucky underdog playing soccer with a GAA flair.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

brokencrossbar1

Started following soccer around the time of the 1982 World Cup. Would have have been 6 at the time and my best friend was Pat Jennings nephew (who is actually 75 today...knowledge of this is courtesy of our old friend Tony Fearon blowing on Facebook!).

First started following Liverpool in 1982-83 season as they were most successful at the time and always on the TV. First real memory is actually with Man U in the 1983 FA Cup final against Brighton!

Milltown Row2

Dad was a big supporter since the Busby days, but can remember the conversation with my two other brothers at the time Liverpool and Forrest were the big teams doing well, the eldest brother was smart enough to pick Utd which meant he'd get the trips, so he said to the other brother you pick Liverpool and I was left with Forrest, wasn't that fussed as all I wanted to do was hurl!

That lasted about 2 months as at Xmas my dad got us all Utd tops!

My first game was a defeat to West Brom mid 80's and then 89 for the loss to Liverpool, been to many games during the good times but given a choice I'd rather be at Croker/Thurles watching the best hurling teams.

I enjoy the banter with my Liverpool mad friends. I really like Liverpool as a club and couldn't not like their style of play and current manager but the fans are a bit like Celtic fans, annoying cnuts  :D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Me oul' lad showed me the league table in the paper in about February or March 1986. The top two were Everton and Manchester United, I think. Liverpool were third. He told me he hoped Liverpool would win it. So I wanted Liverpool to win it. I don't remember first hand any of the rest of that season though. Apparently when me oul' lad told me Liverpool had beaten Everton in the FA Cup final, I replied "good". The first Liverpool game I can sort of remember having on the telly and wanting them to win was a 0-0 at Goodison in November '86. The first game I sat down and watched in the conscious knowledge that I supported Liverpool was another 0-0, against Luton in the FA Cup 3rd round in January '87. The replay finished 0-0 too. There were a lot of 0-0s in those days. Then Luton won 3-0 in the third game, which I followed by getting the result on the following morning's sports news on radio. I keenly followed the rest of that season via Grandstand vidiprinter updates and the occasional live match. Ian Rush's two goals live on Sports Stadium in a 3-1 win over Everton in April were a highlight, Charlie Nicholas's two goals in the Littlewoods Cup final when Ian Rush lost his long record of not losing a game in which he scored, was a lowlight. Everton won the league, which was a particular lowlight, because they were the enemy.

ONeill

Vague memory of the 82 World Cup. Clear memory of Francein 1984. 84/85 season then and RTE were showing the odd live game on a Saturday. I'd plumped for Arsenal for no real reason. Relatively unsuccessful and dour under Don Howe. RTE showed them beating Hereford 6-1 in the cup and I thought I was onto a winner. York City turfed them out in the next round. Stuck with them and the 87 Littlewoods final was the first exhilarating moment. Since then it's been a trophy every 2-4 years although a bit barren after 05 for a while.

Arsenal had a big Irish influence early 80s but fairly dwindled. Eddie McGoldrick the last?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on June 12, 2020, 02:15:10 PM
Vague memory of the 82 World Cup. Clear memory of Francein 1984. 84/85 season then and RTE were showing the odd live game on a Saturday. I'd plumped for Arsenal for no real reason. Relatively unsuccessful and dour under Don Howe. RTE showed them beating Hereford 6-1 in the cup and I thought I was onto a winner. York City turfed them out in the next round. Stuck with them and the 87 Littlewoods final was the first exhilarating moment. Since then it's been a trophy every 2-4 years although a bit barren after 05 for a while.

Arsenal had a big Irish influence early 80s but fairly dwindled. Eddie McGoldrick the last?

Graham Barrett is the last Irish player to tog out for Arsenal in 1999/2000.

Capt Pat

I have been a Liverpool fan since 1985 losing the fa cup semi to United after a replay and the Heysel stadium disaster.

BennyCake

Watched highlights of 1979 FA Cup final a while ago. Eight players from Ireland on show for both sides. Scotland had 4 or 5 too. Any wonder the Irish and British sides struggle internationally nowadays.