Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onthe40

Patsy bradley seems to be back to his form of old again too..was injured a good part of last year and didnt look fully fit...big task for Omagh and Sundays performace wouldnt be good enough but remember most of these lads have tasted success in Ulster at u18 & 21 level so they wont be phased...

tiempo

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 18, 2017, 08:16:38 AM
Quote from: skeog on October 17, 2017, 04:24:05 PM
Conan Grugan has to get a recall into the Tyrone setup surely he has been best midfielder by far IMO.

As someone else said Grugan doesn't even play midfield for Omagh. He made one great catch on Sunday but didn't win that much other possession around the middle. From what I've seen of him in a few championship games this year he has the same issue of some of Tyrone's existing and former players. He is classy and will produce good moments in the game like the great left footed point he scored on Sunday or the catch I referred to. But he doesn't do enough in games or dominate them. That was the same problem I thought he had the last time he was involved. If he was to get another go I'd say it would be around the half forward line as opposed to midfield.

About the same level as current All-Star midfielder Matty Donnelly then.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Onthe40 on October 18, 2017, 09:56:27 AM
Patsy bradley seems to be back to his form of old again too..was injured a good part of last year and didnt look fully fit...big task for Omagh and Sundays performace wouldnt be good enough but remember most of these lads have tasted success in Ulster at u18 & 21 level so they wont be phased...

With all due respect, those two tournaments you listed have absolutely zero impact on senior football.

tiempo

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 18, 2017, 10:32:18 AM

With all due respect, those two tournaments you listed have absolutely zero impact on senior football.

On the contrary Omagh had talented players and teams in the past but did not make the breakthrough hence the outpouring of emotion at the win in 2014, a lot of the lads who now have 2 SFC medals have plenty of minor and U21 county and ulster club medals and the confidence taken from those wins at youth will have contributed massively to the success at Senior level, in fact I would say it went as far as instilling the belief that Omagh could beat the best in Ulster on their day (e.g. Cross in 2014).

Success breeds success as they say and so those minor and U21 wins were key to their development and progression to the current level they are at. Obviously there are other clubs who won the ulster minor and U21 who have perhaps not come through in their counties but there are no guarantees. But have those wins had an impact on Omagh at senior level in the last 5-6 years, absolutely yes. Evidenced by 2 SFC wins, beating Cross, getting to an Ulster final and really having it snatched from them.

Who knows what way this game will go but hopefully they go at each other hard from the start, it'll be a shame if it descends into a park the bus fest.

In hiding

That is kinda true alright. Success at any level though does help develop belief and confidence in a group and these lads do believe, (rightly or wrongly) that with everyone available they have the ability to beat any club team. Slaughtneil will severely test that belief obviously.
Regarding co grugan, he deserves to be on the county panel, end of story.  Ciaran Mc Laughlin also.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: tiempo on October 18, 2017, 11:10:21 AM

On the contrary Omagh had talented players and teams in the past but did not make the breakthrough hence the outpouring of emotion at the win in 2014, a lot of the lads who now have 2 SFC medals have plenty of minor and U21 county and ulster club medals and the confidence taken from those wins at youth will have contributed massively to the success at Senior level, in fact I would say it went as far as instilling the belief that Omagh could beat the best in Ulster on their day (e.g. Cross in 2014).

Success breeds success as they say and so those minor and U21 wins were key to their development and progression to the current level they are at. Obviously there are other clubs who won the ulster minor and U21 who have perhaps not come through in their counties but there are no guarantees. But have those wins had an impact on Omagh at senior level in the last 5-6 years, absolutely yes. Evidenced by 2 SFC wins, beating Cross, getting to an Ulster final and really having it snatched from them.

Who knows what way this game will go but hopefully they go at each other hard from the start, it'll be a shame if it descends into a park the bus fest.

I agree with some points but on the whole I feel both the listed tournaments are overrated.

For Omagh to have any chance they need to bring raw emotion to the game.

Slaughtneil are experts at playing the game on their terms, holding possession, winning frees and keeping the score board ticking over. It causes sides to get very frustrated.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 10, 2017, 09:11:09 AM
What are peoples views on the current state of reserve football within the county?
I feel it is dying a  death with a huge number of fixtures not being fulfilled and this seems to get worse every year.
Is there any appetite for change in the way the whole thing is structured?

Is it structure though or is it a case that players can't be arsed if there's nothing to play for. Last year (1 x game) and this year (2 games) we had senior fixtures where the opposition didn't travel. I was under the impression that people played these games for enjoyment as opposed to whether they can win things or not.

The 2 games not played this year has denied us a chance to give some young lads some senior experience, game time for our reserves ahead of a league play off, and around £2000 in gate money, which we can't afford to lose.

The fine, although small, goes to the TCB, and not ourselves who are the losers in this.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

redhandefender

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 18, 2017, 01:03:16 PM
What are peoples views on the current state of reserve football within the county?
I feel it is dying a  death with a huge number of fixtures not being fulfilled and this seems to get worse every year.

Is it structure though or is it a case that players can't be arsed if there's nothing to play for. Last year (1 x game) and this year (2 games) we had senior fixtures where the opposition didn't travel. I was under the impression that people played these games for enjoyment as opposed to whether they can win things or not.

The 2 games not played this year has denied us a chance to give some young lads some senior experience, game time for our reserves ahead of a league play off, and around £2000 in gate money, which we can't afford to lose.

The fine, although small, goes to the TCB, and not ourselves who are the losers in this.

you're making a grand per reserve game? jesus fair play

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: redhandefender on October 18, 2017, 01:52:31 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 18, 2017, 01:03:16 PM

you're making a grand per reserve game? jesus fair play

Read it again. SENIOR GAME.

Its a grand counting the gate, bar, lotto, shop etc.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Wee Roddy

Raymond will hardly go back to that

skeog

Looking at it with the 3 county stalwarts heading towards the Masters competition,Raymond be needing a miracle to occur to regain the O Neill cup.

Wee Roddy

Miracles can happen. I would guess Carmen's next manager will not be a short fix. It may well be younger lads than Raymond.

The Golden Years

Quote from: Wee Roddy on October 18, 2017, 03:56:59 PM
Raymond will hardly go back to that

What you mean by that? I think you could be in for a surprise?

tothetop03

big hike coming in affiliation fees for all clubs next year...... plans are afoot to get more money out of the clubs for redevelopment of Omagh....

The Trap

A fantastic piece from Ciaran Murphy in the Irish Times about mayo rushing their club championship.
Very relevant to tyrone too, the fiasco with ardboe v omagh and rushing pomeroy into action  just 2 things that spring to mind