The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Why did the excellent Seó Spóirt go away.
A real proper adult programme with real analysis .. maybe except for some of Seán Bán's biased Galway ráiméis  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orchardman

Quote from: Rossfan on August 04, 2012, 10:16:49 PM
Why did the excellent Seó Spóirt go away.
A real proper adult programme with real analysis .. maybe except for some of Seán Bán's biased Galway ráiméis  :D

thought it very strange alright, i was looking for it the last few weeks. The game today between kerry and donegal would have had them real excited with cassidy, o 'se and all the great gaeltacht analysists they have

From the Bunker

No Spillane, No Brolly...............ah sure that's no good!  :'(

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

trileacman

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ONeill

Did they mention the minor scores atall?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on August 06, 2012, 12:01:22 AM

Nah, nothing! Was expecting a small bitta highlights.  :(

Minder

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 06, 2012, 12:06:47 AM

TG4 tomorrow night
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Asal Mor

Just watched last Sunday's show. The hurling analysts were excellent as usual. Duignan, Farrell and Mulcahy were all very positive and passionate - great stuff. I don't think all the football analysts are as bad as some people on here make them out to be either. Spillane is a bit of an eejit and Tony Davis is fairly painful to listen to but the others are good. Brolly is entertaining and insightful. McStay is a good analyst too. I can see how all that lingo he uses could irritate people but it never bothered me as I think, unlike Spillane, he's making a genuine effort to analyse things and not just trying to sound clever.

Seamus

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 14, 2012, 06:56:34 PM
Just watched last Sunday's show. The hurling analysts were excellent as usual. Duignan, Farrell and Mulcahy were all very positive and passionate - great stuff. I don't think all the football analysts are as bad as some people on here make them out to be either. Spillane is a bit of an eejit and Tony Davis is fairly painful to listen to but the others are good. Brolly is entertaining and insightful. McStay is a good analyst too. I can see how all that lingo he uses could irritate people but it never bothered me as I think, unlike Spillane, he's making a genuine effort to analyse things and not just trying to sound clever.

Like telling us that a lateral pass is a free in gaelic football.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

From the Bunker

Spillane was a great footballer, who played with a great team and won alot of medals. But as an analysist he is limited. He's a purist and most of his analysist is based on how good are bad the game is, nothing more. Spillane deals with issues such as was there good kick passing, high fielding, good carring of the ball etc. Personally, i don't need to be told that sort of stuff, i can see it for myself. As you say McStay tries to analyse formations, tactics, trends in a game. The bits you can't see on the TV. The bits you want to know. Some of his analysis can sound annoying because he introduces american/ foreign code lingo such as turn-overs, offence, professional foul, etc. But sure thats the modern world, it's not catch and kick football anymore, so these terms are often needed to explain the game.

Asal Mor

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 14, 2012, 10:47:47 PM
Spillane was a great footballer, who played with a great team and won alot of medals. But as an analysist he is limited. He's a purist and most of his analysist is based on how good are bad the game is, nothing more. Spillane deals with issues such as was there good kick passing, high fielding, good carring of the ball etc. Personally, i don't need to be told that sort of stuff, i can see it for myself. As you say McStay tries to analyse formations, tactics, trends in a game. The bits you can't see on the TV. The bits you want to know. Some of his analysis can sound annoying because he introduces american/ foreign code lingo such as turn-overs, offence, professional foul, etc. But sure thats the modern world, it's not catch and kick football anymore, so these terms are often needed to explain the game.

Agreed. It's necessary and it's often difficult to remember the official GAA terminology anyway.  Should we say manager, coach, trainer or bainisteoir for example?What's the GAA term for turnover? Giving the ball away? I can empathise with McStay. Maybe some of his critics on here could compile a list of acceptable and unacceptable language for GAA analysis.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 06, 2012, 12:06:47 AM

Bejayus me neighbour, you've not been on the ball the last few years if you think RTE would be caught dead showing minor highlights!

ross matt

+1
Can never understand the stick McStay gets on here. Always makes an effort to do his job properly and not opt for the easy cheap shots like Spillane and Brolly. Has great respect for the players and comes across as a gentleman.

J OGorman

Quote from: ross matt on August 15, 2012, 08:12:14 AM
+1
Can never understand the stick McStay gets on here. Always makes an effort to do his job properly and not opt for the easy cheap shots like Spillane and Brolly. Has great respect for the players and comes across as a gentleman.

same here, like McStay too. There is a fierce amount of girners on here having pop shots behind made up names at almost every analyst, broadcaster working @ the minute.