Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

BTW I am not saying it is right or wrong to charge but I can see in a couple of years that there is going to be a major conflict due to playing pitches in clubs. Clubs cannot cope with the teams they have at the minute and each club has mothers and others, lads and dads etc etc

I can see some clubs trying too much and keeping everyone happy but stretching the club.

Fair lay to Armagh LGFA for developing a pitch in south Armagh as their base. Where there be a permanent pitch is Down that could be used for LGFA or camogie matches.

thewobbler

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 28, 2022, 09:10:16 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 28, 2022, 08:57:00 AM
Interesting angle.

Are you saying that because the GAA had the foresight and drive to develop a playing field in every village and town in Ireland, that they should maintain and resource them for use by another association, free of charge?

Do Ballyholland charge the camogs in their club for the use of the GAA facilities?

No. But we have integrated membership options, and we fundraise largely as one club. So it's not the same thing.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 28, 2022, 09:18:13 AM
BTW I am not saying it is right or wrong to charge but I can see in a couple of years that there is going to be a major conflict due to playing pitches in clubs. Clubs cannot cope with the teams they have at the minute and each club has mothers and others, lads and dads etc etc

I can see some clubs trying too much and keeping everyone happy but stretching the club.

Fair lay to Armagh LGFA for developing a pitch in south Armagh as their base. Where there be a permanent pitch is Down that could be used for LGFA or camogie matches.

Clubs can cope, plenty are making headway in acquiring 2nd pitches as well - plus they just don't have their underage teams training twice a week like you suggested on another thread

wobbller

Quote from: Mourne Red on April 28, 2022, 10:09:57 AM

Clubs can cope, plenty are making headway in acquiring 2nd pitches as well - plus they just don't have their underage teams training twice a week like you suggested on another thread
The Down CCC do a good job in speading the fixtures throughout the week.Ladies&Camogie Boards generally work around this.

Truth hurts

I still stand over that you need to be training twice a week at underage with a match included.

wobbller

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 28, 2022, 10:36:15 AM

I still stand over that you need to be training twice a week at underage with a match included.
Define underage!

Mourne Red

Quote from: wobbller on April 28, 2022, 11:59:28 AM

Define underage!

U11s was his arguement

Truth hurts

Quote from: Mourne Red on April 28, 2022, 12:00:39 PM

Define underage!

U11s was his arguement

u11 matches are on a Sunday. Is there a problem with them training for an hour on a Tuesday and Thursday.  I really do not think thats a lot.

wobbller

Define underage!

U11s was his arguement
So if the U11's need that it follows that 13's,15's, Minors and the rest need it also.If every Club took that approach especially if it is a Dual Club they would need multiple pitches and I am not counting Ladies or Camogie into any of this. U11's training twice weekly is crazy.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 28, 2022, 12:18:09 PM

Define underage!

U11s was his arguement

u11 matches are on a Sunday. Is there a problem with them training for an hour on a Tuesday and Thursday.  I really do not think thats a lot.

It's a lot for the parents and volunteers, maybe not for the people on the outside who won't be rushing home from work to get kids out or paying for the diesel. Nonsense to suggest 10 year old's need to twice a week, sure they will be sick of it before they reach 16.

stiff breeze

Under 11 strength and conditioning coaches are the way forward  ;D ;D

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: stiff breeze on April 28, 2022, 02:14:53 PM
Under 11 strength and conditioning coaches are the way forward  ;D ;D

They have to do that programme on their own time though. :o

Walter Cronc

As part of this Ballykinlar development will it include a stand/terrace? Owenbeg has been a major success (and money earner) from this point of view - South Derry diehards don't like travelling up to Derry City!

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: manwithnoplan on April 28, 2022, 12:47:55 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on April 28, 2022, 12:18:09 PM

Define underage!

U11s was his arguement

It's a lot for the parents and volunteers, maybe not for the people on the outside who won't be rushing home from work to get kids out or paying for the diesel. Nonsense to suggest 10 year old's need to twice a week, sure they will be sick of it before they reach 16.

I agree but to play devils advocate soccer teams mostly train twice a week and a match on Saturday from u10s up and it doesn't seem to put them off. I think the big difference as most have noted is the dual players and lads playing up an age group. If you have 2 teams you can't expect lads to play 2 matches and 4 sessions a week. If you're in a big club and they're only playing for 1 team, 3 times a week isn't completely mad but I don't think it's needed.

If they won't lift a ball at home between organised training or matches you've got a problem anyway.

Johnnysboys

There are 168 hours in a week.. asking a child of 10-11 to take part in activity for 4 hours (or thereabouts) is not a bad thing. If it's structured and well lead - I have no problem with it at all.
As for a lad playing u13 if he is 11 - that's completely wrong imo. The sooner the GAA bring in a rule that you can't play up the better. Let players develop at their own level, with their own group of friends/peers and if they are a "special player" in terms of ability, size etc so what. I've seen lads at our club getting slaughtered down the years playing up. If ya can't field at u15 without u13 players - amalgamate with another club struggling for numbers. But don't flog young lads/girls to a level where they could get seriously hurt.