Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

ballboy

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 15, 2010, 07:09:09 AM
Quote from: ballboy on January 14, 2010, 11:57:45 AM
Hello all, New to the board!
Any predictions for the club season ahead? Heard there has been a few managerial changes most notably tourlestrane.
Tourlestrane - Neil Egan takes over from Anthony Brennan. What more can Brennan do, win the double and then get the chop!, Fairly harsh. Heard O Hara seconded the motion to put Egan forward!
Ballymote - Eugene McHale takes over from Barnes Murphy and his sidekick Gerry Monaghan. Mchale is rumoured to have rang looking for the job.
Tubbercurry -  Pat Kilcoyne and Reggie have taken over. Pat moves home!!
Coolera - Alan Kelly returns as joint manager with Neil Carew to take over from Pat Kilcoyne. Carew carries on after his success with the under 20's last year.

Any others changes that ye know of?
Welcome to board, is the FBD going ahead this weekend? Any team news?
As far as i know it is going ahead on sunday, weather conditions have improved. Heard no team news but i hear the lads are in good shape, not bad for lads just back. a lot of individual training going on and laying off the sweets at christmas  :P

ballboy

Who do you guys think for next years championship? I think it will be between Tour, Johns, Harps and Tubber with Curry, Mary's, Coolera and Ballymote just a bit shy of the mark. Geevagh, Shamrock Gaels, Calry and St Mholaise to battle relegation.

Tourlestrane are obviously going to be favourites after the double last year and there strong panel.
Johns to push on from there relative success last year and possibly go all the way this year, serious potential.
Harps, Well harps are always going to be in the mix aren't they.
Tubber had a bad year last year but they should have guys returning this year so will be in the running.
Curry, i think they are rebuilding as such, hard to know how they will do.
Mary's, Hard to know which team will turn up for them on there day they could beat anybody but on another day loose to anybody.
Coolera, may reach the semi's but haven't got enough in them to finish out a tough game, rely too much on costello.
Ballymote, Very hard working side but never seem to get a break.
Geevagh, Hard physical side but could possibly struggle in depth.
Calry, Have done well in the last few years and people always tip them to be battling relegation. Then again they are always end up doing well, reached quarters last year.
Shamrock Gaels, Will try and get the form of two years ago back when they bet a fancied tourlestrane. Would not like to draw them if i was in a relegation battle.
St Mholaise Gaels, Great year for them last year after coming up, ran out of steam against Coolera last year and could of beaten them, if Quinn stays with the county (which i suspect he will) it could actually have a negative effect on them as he wouldn't be available during the year as much.

Should be an interesing year i think and i'm sure there will be a few shocks!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ballboy on January 15, 2010, 12:18:57 PM
Who do you guys think for next years championship? I think it will be between Tour, Johns, Harps and Tubber with Curry, Mary's, Coolera and Ballymote just a bit shy of the mark. Geevagh, Shamrock Gaels, Calry and St Mholaise to battle relegation.

Tourlestrane are obviously going to be favourites after the double last year and there strong panel.
Johns to push on from there relative success last year and possibly go all the way this year, serious potential.
Harps, Well harps are always going to be in the mix aren't they.
Tubber had a bad year last year but they should have guys returning this year so will be in the running.
Curry, i think they are rebuilding as such, hard to know how they will do.
Mary's, Hard to know which team will turn up for them on there day they could beat anybody but on another day loose to anybody.
Coolera, may reach the semi's but haven't got enough in them to finish out a tough game, rely too much on costello.
Ballymote, Very hard working side but never seem to get a break.
Geevagh, Hard physical side but could possibly struggle in depth.
Calry, Have done well in the last few years and people always tip them to be battling relegation. Then again they are always end up doing well, reached quarters last year.
Shamrock Gaels, Will try and get the form of two years ago back when they bet a fancied tourlestrane. Would not like to draw them if i was in a relegation battle.
St Mholaise Gaels, Great year for them last year after coming up, ran out of steam against Coolera last year and could of beaten them, if Quinn stays with the county (which i suspect he will) it could actually have a negative effect on them as he wouldn't be available during the year as much.

Should be an interesing year i think and i'm sure there will be a few shocks!
Fair enough synopsis, with regards St Molaises, I expect us to struggle in the league becuase we will be missing quinn and mchgh, and then we will have 4 or 5 invoved in u21s, and a few in the minors, not sure we will have that many available all year. But come championship we will have them all back and rearing to go so not sure it will have a negative effect. My club have the talent to contend a Owen B to a serious extent but only with the right management. None of the other clubs would we fear but our lads just lack the commitment to the cause and vaguely understand what it takes to actually go about winning it. We wont get relegated but we wont win it until a man comes along a grabs the club by the horns, and gets the players into the right frame of mind.

Id be a bit more optimistic about coolera and marys and less so tour and harps. I honestly dont know how tour won it last yr or that harps got to the final. Johns are my tip but its early days and that could change. Curry are a enigma, theyre not filtering the underage through, durks is the wrong man at the wrong time to be in charge, he will be ridiculously loyal to the older players and that ruin all currys good underage work.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Good luck to Stephen Carty in his new role of county coaching and games officer announced on Sligogaa.ie.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 15, 2010, 04:29:42 PM
I honestly dont know how tour won it last yr or that harps got to the final.

Experience and cuteness was the key in both teams getting to the final. Both Coolera and Johns had chances to get to the final but couldn't finish it out. Tourlestranes never say die attitude was also vital in coming from 10 and 6 points down in the 2 games against Johns.

sprinter

"I honestly dont know how tour won it last yr or that harps got to the final".
either do I.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

new tourlestrane manager made a number of  Interesting points in the weekender this week regarding a western divisional side participating in the senior championship, I have to say I agree with him and I would also include everything North of Rathcormac in a northern divisional team and maybe then we might get a competitive championship its getting boring with the same teams in final year after year.

It would also be nice to visit some of the out posts of Sligo football, I always enjoyed playing in Easkey there was always the sense of the unexpected on and off the pitch and no matter how much hard hitting there was or verbal abuse you always went away from there with a smile and sense of respect from them.

I think it's a real shame that one can go through a 10 -12 year playing career and not visit certain parts of the county and experience their playing styles, the unique feeling you get from their supporters (shamrock Gaels women were always so welcoming ) and strange nicknames you here on the pitch when you play a team for the first time and you try and figure out why is he called that. So with this in mind I would call on the county Board to put a western division and northern division into the championship this year it might add a bit of spice and mystery to a failing championship.

Its gets tiring marking the same players year after year and listing to same nicknames.

Fond Easkey moments
1.   Cold day in May a group off ten young girls consistently shout abuse at o Hara to wash off his flake tan....... It was so funny.
2.   visiting the pitch year after year and wondering if Dermot Kevany had finally retired.
3.   Dermot Kevany running at you with only one thing on his mind.
4.   After eight years playing against them and abusing them finding out there not bad lads after a piss up in the  Harbour Bar after a pick and choose game in February.

5.   starting the season off in Easkey it was always an examination of commitment for an other year

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: sprinter on January 20, 2010, 04:56:49 PM
"I honestly dont know how tour won it last yr or that harps got to the final".
either do I.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

new tourlestrane manager made a number of  Interesting points in the weekender this week regarding a western divisional side participating in the senior championship, I have to say I agree with him and I would also include everything North of Rathcormac in a northern divisional team  ::) ::) ::)and maybe then we might get a competitive championship its getting boring with the same teams in final year after year.

It would also be nice to visit some of the out posts of Sligo football, I always enjoyed playing in Easkey there was always the sense of the unexpected on and off the pitch and no matter how much hard hitting there was or verbal abuse you always went away from there with a smile and sense of respect from them.

I think it's a real shame that one can go through a 10 -12 year playing career and not visit certain parts of the county and experience their playing styles, the unique feeling you get from their supporters (shamrock Gaels women were always so welcoming ) and strange nicknames you here on the pitch when you play a team for the first time and you try and figure out why is he called that. So with this in mind I would call on the county Board to put a western division and northern division into the championship this year it might add a bit of spice and mystery to a failing championship.

Its gets tiring marking the same players year after year and listing to same nicknames.

Fond Easkey moments
1.   Cold day in May a group off ten young girls consistently shout abuse at o Hara to wash off his flake tan....... It was so funny.
2.   visiting the pitch year after year and wondering if Dermot Kevany had finally retired.
3.   Dermot Kevany running at you with only one thing on his mind.
4.   After eight years playing against them and abusing them finding out there not bad lads after a piss up in the  Harbour Bar after a pick and choose game in February.

5.   starting the season off in Easkey it was always an examination of commitment for an other year

Great attempt at a wind up :D. North Sligo has the most amount of players on county panels :D....I love all of Sligo though and like to see all clubs in Sligo prosper  :).

magpie seanie

Good post Sprinter and I can identify with a lot of what you say there!

As for Egan's comments - I've long been in the boat of full support for amalgamations/divisional sides. Every player should have the opportunity to play at the highest level and I'd push for that at underage level too. The club is sacrosanct but the better players in junior/intermediate clubs should get to play in A or Senior championships. This will improve standards and test lads out before they get brought onto county panels for scoring 10 points in an intermediate league game. If I was purely interested in my own clubs fortunes I'd be against this and that's why I worry for the current proposal. The West lads will have a great pick of players but will have difficulty pulling together a cohesive unit when clubs are in most need of their players for intermediate/junior championship. That said in the first year especially they'd get huge support and it would bring great colour and verve to matters. It will present big difficulties for fixture planners but all in all I'm in favour.

sprinter

Fair enough synopsis, with regards St Molaises, I expect us to struggle in the league becuase we will be missing quinn and mchgh, and then we will have 4 or 5 invoved in u21s, and a few in the minors, not sure we will have that many available all year. But come championship we will have them all back and rearing to go so not sure it will have a negative effect. My club have the talent to contend a Owen B to a serious extent but only with the right management. None of the other clubs would we fear but our lads just lack the commitment to the cause and vaguely understand what it takes to actually go about winning it. We wont get relegated but we wont win it until a man comes along a grabs the club by the horns, and gets the players into the right frame of mind.

Ok seeing as you have been banging on for years about poor managers at your club and how they halt progress and seeing how I am in a reflective phase and its still January I will give you and your club some advise about wining championships.

Now this is a big revelation and you might not understand it but

1.managers do not win championships players do. I have seen punch ups in dressing rooms and players not speaking to managers for full seasons, and the collective group still win championships. As long as the manager can organize training and get players fit that's the main priority.

2.The majority of clubs have 13 players the rest are fillers you would be lucky to have 22 good players on a panel. The net result of this is the team picks itself always does there's no great mystery. Everyone fit everyone training team picks itself if manager has some relation on the team this could influence selection but by and by team picks it self, therefore the presence/status of the manager is neglected again.

3.Drink ban is always a good idea especially in the months of April, May, & June. As most players are human and fall to temptations of the devils butter milk its vital that the 1st player to break the drink ban is highlighted and out casted. This action will create a split within the club on the rights and wrongs of the action but will evidently unite the players into one collective group leading to a championship victory. The player out casted will come back the next year stronger and more determined as ever.

4.always build up a siege mentality and believe you are hated by everyone it works. My own preferences for this was xxxxxxxx(just couldn't like them maybe it was the manager) .

5.always believe you are better than you are and this especially applies to younger players joining the senior team for the 1st time. When you go out socially with the younger guys fill their heads with notions of winning Connaught championship and even all-Irelands. What this does is makes them think they are better than they are, and when you are 10 points down in a county semi final and the roof is falling in on a championship, no one really panics everyone knows that they are better footballers than the opposition and believes they can get out off the mess. Net result being no one panics and you go on and on to an other championship victory and two days on the piss.

6.make sure no one plays soccer its a waist of time it makes players pull out of tackles, teaches them stupid ideas and is of no practical benefit to improving your team.

7.Develop top class facilities – this is achieved through hard work from the community and committee. We put in top class floodlights because we expect to be playing football in September/ October. It's the tourlestrane way.

8.when you win a championship sack the manager it keeps everyone in the club on their toes and immediately puts pressure on the incoming manager to get results.  (if you want to win a championships you have to be cruel ).

9.don't make excuses for missing players to the county, you play with the lads you have (2007 victory achieved without the mighty oHara) focus on what you have not who you are missing.

10.make sure you have one player hated on your team by the opposition in our case this is o hara all the attention is focused on him leaving the rest of us to enjoy the game and get that extra hit in now and again.

11.don't have dinner dance unless you win anything and don't have player of the year prizes ...........they are off no benefit to the development of the master plan.   

12.look if you need any more advise, we are available for consultancy at any time. I could through in some more secrets but they might be controversial and we wouldn't want that.     

I still wake up at night and wonder how on earth we have won so much six victories in seven finals and we should of lost everyone off them............

But thanks for the post sligonian it gives me a chance to reflect on what it takes to win a championship ...................

Ps. I hope the rest of the forum takes this post with seriousness it deserves, but I just can't help myself.......................................I think this is my last post for a long time ........its time to get back to wining a back to back championship.   Good luck to all the clubs in this year championship may victory come to those who put the work in...... 

I want tour to get a group of death this year has never happened to us think it would be fun and focus our minds ...

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: sprinter on January 21, 2010, 12:47:53 PM

Ok seeing as you have been banging on for years about poor managers at your club and how they halt progress and seeing how I am in a reflective phase and its still January I will give you and your club some advise about wining championships.

Now this is a big revelation and you might not understand it but

1.managers do not win championships players do. I have seen punch ups in dressing rooms and players not speaking to managers for full seasons, and the collective group still win championships. As long as the manager can organize training and get players fit that's the main priority. I think in Clubs like Tourlestrane where the commitment to the cause is guarnteed the managers role is not as important, but our players have never respected the last few managers, some ridiculuous team selections and no sight of a gameplan put paid to that, and in to the fact yer club has an all star, but our players lack honesty and rarely look at themselves, I dont really blame the past managers as I really know its really the pyschology of the players were the problem, all im saying is if we got the rightman to create the right mindset, right approach, and has the respect of the players from the offset the talent is there. Look at Kerrys commitent every yr, look at Sligos in 2008, the managers role in some teams is more important than others

2.The majority of clubs have 13 players the rest are fillers you would be lucky to have 22 good players on a panel. The net result of this is the team picks itself always does there's no great mystery. Everyone fit everyone training team picks itself if manager has some relation on the team this could influence selection but by and by team picks it self, therefore the presence/status of the manager is neglected again. Gavin Gilsenan was picked corner forward last yr in one championship game, thats like playing Noel McGuire there for Sligo, I agree that the team picks itself but how man times have manager messed up team selections and cost teams? look at sligo 2002 connacht final being the most blantant stupidty in living memory and cost us

3.Drink ban is always a good idea especially in the months of April, May, & June. As most players are human and fall to temptations of the devils butter milk its vital that the 1st player to break the drink ban is highlighted and out casted. This action will create a split within the club on the rights and wrongs of the action but will evidently unite the players into one collective group leading to a championship victory. The player out casted will come back the next year stronger and more determined as ever. Never happens in my club, and if there is a drinking ban, never adhered too, after every intermediate championship game in 08 our players went out after even the drawn final which was replayed 6 days later, i questioned the players at the time but they can get away with and it and didnt respect the manager, and in fact some said his gameplan drove them to it

4.always build up a siege mentality and believe you are hated by everyone it works. My own preferences for this was xxxxxxxx(just couldn't like them maybe it was the manager) . You know have a fair sized catchment area detracts from that, because none of the areas would be that united, if coolera and marys amalgatmated how long would it take to unite them a few generations and ours is improving with underage players coming through so maybe in the future, Im doing my best for everyone to hate us, OMS, mano and you so the list is growing ;)

5.always believe you are better than you are and this especially applies to younger players joining the senior team for the 1st time. When you go out socially with the younger guys fill their heads with notions of winning Connaught championship and even all-Irelands. What this does is makes them think they are better than they are, and when you are 10 points down in a county semi final and the roof is falling in on a championship, no one really panics everyone knows that they are better footballers than the opposition and believes they can get out off the mess. Net result being no one panics and you go on and on to an other championship victory and two days on the piss. not sure i agree with this, whats happens ye in Connacht so, false sense of security it creates, at the end of the day a team that gos 10pts up starts to relax, workrate and intensity decrease, opposition sense this, ups there workrate and creates momentum and then the other team cant switch it on again, filling lads heads with that is ok for belief, but i would focus on your actual potential, bringing your best self to make the right decisions on the field. Your methods are open to over confidence and that is a weakness, it can cause conflict to with players getting the huff because there a sub and not good enough but lads telling them they are,

6.make sure no one plays soccer its a waist of time it makes players pull out of tackles, teaches them stupid ideas and is of no practical benefit to improving your team. I agree, big problem in my area, maugherow is the biggest area in my club, and it has a soccer team, panel of about 13, we have 2 players involved at senior, and its a struggle to get them, even our county players do it, I would always have a word in young lads ears although i did play for sligo leitrim with quinny, j davey and egan but they all made the right choice when it had to be made, probably around 17 id say you have to go your seperate ways and pick one sport

7.Develop top class facilities – this is achieved through hard work from the community and committee. We put in top class floodlights because we expect to be playing football in September/ October. It's the tourlestrane way.thats definitly commendable just let Sligo use it ;), we have raised over 200,000 euro for our development plan, of new dressing rooms, parking area, new training pitch, since ive heard its been downgraded slightly because the funding from other sources isnt there but in fairness the communities really supported it in its first yr, so hopefully we'll catch on to ye and let melvin gaels use ours ;)

8.when you win a championship sack the manager it keeps everyone in the club on their toes and immediately puts pressure on the incoming manager to get results.  (if you want to win a championships you have to be cruel ).bullshit, brennan wanted the u21 job, was full sure hed get it, and did he really want the tour job again, i doubt it, every manager deserves the yr after winning, ye didnt win the connacht or AI so plenty left to aim for and push ye further

9.don't make excuses for missing players to the county, you play with the lads you have (2007 victory achieved without the mighty oHara) focus on what you have not who you are missing. I wasnt only for the league, but we will have them back for championship, our subs are poor so it makes a big difference, thats a reality

10.make sure you have one player hated on your team by the opposition in our case this is o hara all the attention is focused on him leaving the rest of us to enjoy the game and get that extra hit in now and again. well only until i comeback and ye all know me so I'll have to watch out, I will be shitting myself playing tour ;), we dont really have any hated players beside that

11.don't have dinner dance unless you win anything and don't have player of the year prizes ...........they are off no benefit to the development of the master plan.   dinner dances are great source of funds, players efforts should be rewarded win or lose, just becasue others effort and mentality didnt reach the same heights doenst mean it should be abandoned. All the other players see this and will hopefully try to raise there levels

12.look if you need any more advise, we are available for consultancy at any time. I could through in some more secrets but they might be controversial and we wouldn't want that.     

I still wake up at night and wonder how on earth we have won so much six victories in seven finals and we should of lost everyone off them............

But thanks for the post sligonian it gives me a chance to reflect on what it takes to win a championship ...................

Ps. I hope the rest of the forum takes this post with seriousness it deserves, but I just can't help myself.......................................I think this is my last post for a long time ........its time to get back to wining a back to back championship.   Good luck to all the clubs in this year championship may victory come to those who put the work in...... 

I want tour to get a group of death this year has never happened to us think it would be fun and focus our minds ...

Thanks for the consultancy free consultancy services, just one thing, have ye availed of Ballinas or Crossmolinas or Crossmaglens consultancy services on how to win a provincial and All Ireland championship. Really if Tour were such a great club wouldnt young Pat Harte be playing with ye? You know Ive read a few sport pyschology books, read all the GAA ones take notes and all because one of my dreams is to manage tourlestrane :P.

Just lastly because I feel because youve done it you think others dont know how. Caroline Currid is from a loser mentality county called Sligo, a county, thats mentality has banished its own great teams and talent into doldrums for 125yrs, a county with the great habit and ability to handicap itself, and yet she knows how to win All Ireland she went to tyrone and made a huge difference, look at Tipp last yr, and wait its the Dubs turn in 2010. And yet will SLIGO use your knowledge ability. Not yet we wont. My point is you dont have to have done it to know what it takes or else you would never do it and may aswell give up.

Gaeil Naomh Molaise Abu.

magpie seanie

Sligonian - some disgusting language in your reply to number 4! Uncalled for!

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 22, 2010, 09:42:57 AM
Thanks for the consultancy free consultancy services, just one thing, have ye availed of Ballinas or Crossmolinas or Crossmaglens consultancy services on how to win a provincial and All Ireland championship. Really if Tour were such a great club wouldnt young Pat Harte be playing with ye?

Well Pat Harte is Ballina man, went to school there and played all his football there. His father is from Tourlestrane but unfortunately he moved to Ballina.

We do very well to win county titles with such a small population base and unfortunately we have not progressed in provincial championships but we have just come up short in recent years especially against Ballina and Killererin when in 2004, 2007 when we should have won if we had taken our chances. At provincial level that is very costly.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on January 22, 2010, 12:16:35 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 22, 2010, 09:42:57 AM
Thanks for the consultancy free consultancy services, just one thing, have ye availed of Ballinas or Crossmolinas or Crossmaglens consultancy services on how to win a provincial and All Ireland championship. Really if Tour were such a great club wouldnt young Pat Harte be playing with ye?

Well Pat Harte is Ballina man, went to school there and played all his football there. His father is from Tourlestrane but unfortunately he moved to Ballina.

We do very well to win county titles with such a small population base and unfortunately we have not progressed in provincial championships but we have just come up short in recent years especially against Ballina and Killererin when in 2004, 2007 when we should have won if we had taken our chances. At provincial level that is very costly.
Well Declan Darcy shows what can be done.. and in my book should be done...did ye never try to coax him or even ask the question? Hes a fine player. People can call me whatever they want but even if i settle in mayo in future the nearest sligo club my off spring will play for if there good enough.

I was at the game in Ballina supporting ye, and to be honest ye never looked like winning, i remember being very frustrated, mcgowan was yer only threat up front and that wasnt enough, especially when they put brady ff it got them breaks to get the scores to get over the line, 1-4 to 1-8 if i remember.

Sorry Seanie, i know its blasphemy but gets my point across :D.

Look there are huge positives in my club aswell, the work at underage should be commended, the work on fundraising was great to see, the community spirit at the strictly come dancing fundraiser over 1000 people attended, we are getting there and hopefully we will win Owen B someday. If I were chairman id be getting Anthony Brennan as manager of our club...I hear hes alot of spare time on his hands.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 22, 2010, 05:43:59 PM
Well Declan Darcy shows what can be done.. and in my book should be done...did ye never try to coax him or even ask the question? Hes a fine player. People can call me whatever they want but even if i settle in mayo in future the nearest sligo club my off spring will play for if there good enough.

I was at the game in Ballina supporting ye, and to be honest ye never looked like winning, i remember being very frustrated, mcgowan was yer only threat up front and that wasnt enough, especially when they put brady ff it got them breaks to get the scores to get over the line, 1-4 to 1-8 if i remember.
Lost by 4 points and were only 1 point down with 10 minutes to go. Plus Gerry had a terrible day with the frees missing about 6 or 7 including one from the 14 metre line into the keepers hands if those were converted we would have won the game.

stephenite

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 22, 2010, 05:43:59 PM

Declan Darcy would be the exception-not everyone has the time, inclination or the passion to be driving around that much!

You're an awful man for trying to claim other peoples players.