St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

Mano

Great last 2 weekends for Tourlestrane winning the double for the first time. From hearing from sources the championship final wasn't that entertaining especially the first half but that won't matter to Tourlestrane fans. Gutted that i missed both games due to holidays but there you go..

They now go into next weeks game full of confidence after winning the 2 main competitions in Sligo in the last few days. Next sundays game is the 5th weekend in a row they will be playing an important match so hopefully there is more left in the tank.

Don't know much about Castlerea but they have a few recognisable former and current county players Claffey is current county goalkeeper, Enda Kenney, Nigel Dineen and Ger Heneghan are all recent county players so they will be a tough assignment. Add to that the experience of Sligo football of their manager former Curry boss Denis Kearney who had a great record against Tourlestrane while he was in charge.

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 07, 2009, 12:52:49 PM
No Buckass I was there, seen with my own eyes, it was either Kenny or Cregg who came deep second half and keep getting fed the ball and gave Gaughan an unmerciful roasting which in turn disminished any advantage of a extra man. Noel Gaughan is a red head who played defence that day RIGHT, that is the man Im on about. Only thing I could be wrong on is the Roscommon forward  that roasted him but it was definitly Noel Gaughan getting the roasting while the management were napping on the sideline.

Very unfair on Nipper there Slignian. The lad was just out of minor (he is u21 against this year) and was having a good game in first half and management put him on a player who was a county senior for Ross at the time. There was also a mismatch in terms of size nipper is only a small lad which Kenny is a big man. I think blame there rests with management who didn't put a bigger player out on Kenny like Murphy.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on October 12, 2009, 09:11:40 PM
Great last 2 weekends for Tourlestrane winning the double for the first time. From hearing from sources the championship final wasn't that entertaining especially the first half but that won't matter to Tourlestrane fans. Gutted that i missed both games due to holidays but there you go..

They now go into next weeks game full of confidence after winning the 2 main competitions in Sligo in the last few days. Next sundays game is the 5th weekend in a row they will be playing an important match so hopefully there is more left in the tank.

Don't know much about Castlerea but they have a few recognisable former and current county players Claffey is current county goalkeeper, Enda Kenney, Nigel Dineen and Ger Heneghan are all recent county players so they will be a tough assignment. Add to that the experience of Sligo football of their manager former Curry boss Denis Kearney who had a great record against Tourlestrane while he was in charge.

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 07, 2009, 12:52:49 PM
No Buckass I was there, seen with my own eyes, it was either Kenny or Cregg who came deep second half and keep getting fed the ball and gave Gaughan an unmerciful roasting which in turn disminished any advantage of a extra man. Noel Gaughan is a red head who played defence that day RIGHT, that is the man Im on about. Only thing I could be wrong on is the Roscommon forward  that roasted him but it was definitly Noel Gaughan getting the roasting while the management were napping on the sideline.

Very unfair on Nipper there Slignian. The lad was just out of minor (he is u21 against this year) and was having a good game in first half and management put him on a player who was a county senior for Ross at the time. There was also a mismatch in terms of size nipper is only a small lad which Kenny is a big man. I think blame there rests with management who didn't put a bigger player out on Kenny like Murphy.

I agree wholeheartdly mano on who was to blame, what I said about gaughan is true at that time but irrelevant to the present as it was 1.5 yrs ago and probably shouldnt of said it. But only reason I said it was because ive seen only once since so not much to judge him on so for me the jury is still out and he has plenty to prove. Im glad hes playing well, I wish him well in future. He might marking Kenny again on Sunday?

On a more important matter who is the U21 management team for 2010. The current management have been very poor. As the saying goes bad management can make a good team look bad and good management can make a bad team look good. Imagine what a good management would do with next yrs panel? or are we going to accept mediocrity going forward. Time for Sligo County Board to act. Im sure there are better alternatives..
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Buckass

Eh lads,
Nipper was moved from corner-back before throw-in to mark Cathal Cregg at wing-forward for the 60 mins. Murphy was marking Kenny that day for the hourbut did well on him but was involved in 2nd half goal alright.
Midfield collapse was central. Just to keep ye right.

SLIGONIAN

Jees buckass the need to be right all the time is strong with you. I couldnt give a toss anymore only wish Gaughan all the best.

The Sligo U21 manager for 2010 hasnt been annouced yet. Im hoping its not O Flatherty as last 2 yrs hes been a disaster. I think we are better than our final performance in 09 and we threw away in 08, I would hold the management mainly responsible.

My alternatives would be, Walsh to do both, or maybe Sloyan take over u21s, I think he was selector with them aswell last yr, I was thinking of a few club managers aswell like brennan but he managed county underage already... any other suggestions?

I personnaly feel it will be a joke if there is no change. What do ye think? Whats is reputation within Bunninaden Sligoper and Bunnieman? Do ye rate him?

And who within Sligo CB is responsible for his hiring, Murphy or Liam Og?

magpie seanie

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 14, 2009, 11:13:58 AM
Jees buckass the need to be right all the time is strong with you. I couldnt give a toss anymore only wish Gaughan all the best.

The Sligo U21 manager for 2010 hasnt been annouced yet. Im hoping its not O Flatherty as last 2 yrs hes been a disaster. I think we are better than our final performance in 09 and we threw away in 08, I would hold the management mainly responsible.

My alternatives would be, Walsh to do both, or maybe Sloyan take over u21s, I think he was selector with them aswell last yr, I was thinking of a few club managers aswell like brennan but he managed county underage already... any other suggestions?

I personnaly feel it will be a joke if there is no change. What do ye think? Whats is reputation within Bunninaden Sligoper and Bunnieman? Do ye rate him?

Liam Óg, as an employee of Connacht Council, can have no official role in Sligo county board from my understanding. Murphy will make the decision on the new U-21 manager I'd say. Maybe he will consult with Liam Óg.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 14, 2009, 03:11:03 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 14, 2009, 11:13:58 AM

Liam Óg, as an employee of Connacht Council, can have no official role in Sligo county board from my understanding. Murphy will make the decision on the new U-21 manager I'd say. Maybe he will consult with Liam Óg.

Liam Og being a bunninaden man, he'll want FOF to get it again id say and Murphy is liable to do anything.

For the good of Sligo football he should not be retained. Viable alternatives should be listed and sought. At the end of the day the players deserve better and IMO FOF handicapped 2 very talented squads that underachieved because of immense stupity on the line. When you see Coen and Kelly with the seniors now and you think back to 08 when FOF had them and Danny O Grady and henry, ewing, murphy, 2 gaughans if i were FOF id be embarrased at what he achieved.

And if anyone thinks being 6pts up to Ross and losing with a extra man and losing to Mayo by over 10 pts is successful and should be rewarded with another year is a clown. All we will get next yr is the same crap. It actually angers me and will not do Sligo football any good. Ya there is the chance is alternative could be as bad but couldnt be worse.

Oh ya I left out that we beat Galway in 08 and Leitrim 09, I was at the Galway game, and it was worst underage Galway ive ever seen, and Id say Leitrim were no world beaters last yr.

You know its important we get a good man as Maye is u21 this yr and we need to continue his development, not sure Curry are up to it as looking at last yrs teamsheet Durcans is way too loyal to the hangers on there and not blooding the talent coming through, we had kennedy 17, kelly and brennan 18  in our starting 15. Also Padraic Clarke and Frizzel etc... these are talented players who deserve a good manager at U21.

SLIGONIAN

This was on SligoGAA.ie....

mayo league fixture played in Sligo

Tourlestrane Pitch was the venue last night Saturday Oct 16th where a Mayo GAA League Fixture was played between Ballina Stephenites and Charlestown with the latter taking the spoils.
Throw in was a 9pm under lights with a large attendance present who were treated to a fast moving game of football, fitness levels was high on both sides Well done to the Tourlestrane Club and those in charge of the Pitch, for having their facilities looking splended The fans from Mayo were more than impressed by the state of the pitch and the lighting it was full marks from both teams as well, there wasnt one card or tick given during the whole game eventhough there was some enthusiatic play and few frees. We should appreciate the view of Sligo GAA given by the Club last night ,they did us all proud,another first for the Club.

I personally think its a thundering disgrace. I was livid  >:( when I read this especially the 2 clubs involved ffs, I am going to find out who authoirized and supported this from a Sligo stand point. These clubs should never be facilitated by us, theyd steal all our players along the border if they could. Why the do we reward them? I cannot believe it, its the message it send that angers more, yes steal our players we'll do nothing about it and more we will help yees out whenever we can. They should of told them to fck off. Some south sligo clubs wouldnt even help their sligo neighbours.

You know something between Ballina and Castleconnor is a little place called Ardnaree who are in the mayo junior final. Well Ardnaree was part of Sligo and transferred to Mayo the same time Ballagherdereen transferred to Roscommon. Mayo reatained Ballaghdereen and gladly took Ardnaree, under what rule did the keep Ballaghdereen and we should use that same rule to retain Ardnaree...if mayo disagree with me there hypocrites.

What is going in our county? Laughing stock.

stephenite

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 17, 2009, 11:43:55 AM

Tourlestrane Pitch was the venue last night Saturday Oct 16th where a Mayo GAA League Fixture was played between Ballina Stephenites and Charlestown with the latter taking the spoils.
Throw in was a 9pm under lights with a large attendance present who were treated to a fast moving game of football, fitness levels was high on both sides Well done to the Tourlestrane Club and those in charge of the Pitch, for having their facilities looking splended The fans from Mayo were more than impressed by the state of the pitch and the lighting it was full marks from both teams as well, there wasnt one card or tick given during the whole game eventhough there was some enthusiatic play and few frees. We should appreciate the view of Sligo GAA given by the Club last night ,they did us all proud,another first for the Club.

I personally think its a thundering disgrace. I was livid  >:( when I read this especially the 2 clubs involved ffs, I am going to find out who authoirized and supported this from a Sligo stand point. These clubs should never be facilitated by us, theyd steal all our players along the border if they could. Why the do we reward them? I cannot believe it, its the message it send that angers more, yes steal our players we'll do nothing about it and more we will help yees out whenever we can. They should of told them to fck off. Some south sligo clubs wouldnt even help their sligo neighbours.

You know something between Ballina and Castleconnor is a little place called Ardnaree who are in the mayo junior final. Well Ardnaree was part of Sligo and transferred to Mayo the same time Ballagherdereen transferred to Roscommon. Mayo reatained Ballaghdereen and gladly took Ardnaree, under what rule did the keep Ballaghdereen and we should use that same rule to retain Ardnaree...if mayo disagree with me there hypocrites.

Question 1  - What players were stolen?
Question 2 - What year did Ardnaree 'leave' Sligos county boundaries?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: stephenite on October 17, 2009, 12:03:39 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 17, 2009, 11:43:55 AM

Question 1  - What players were stolen?
Question 2 - What year did Ardnaree 'leave' Sligos county boundaries?

Everyone knows the facts at this stage about Charlestown, been talked to death, not going into again.

If we apply the same logic as ye do on Ballaghdereen, Ardnaree should be still playing in Sligo...they only transferred to mayo for taxes by the queen. Youd have to agree.

Answer to Q2 - The same year as Ballaghdereen transferred to Roscommon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballina,_County_Mayo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballaghaderreen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Government_(Ireland)_Act_1898

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cassells_north_east_mayo.jpg

If mayo can lay claim to Ballaghdereen surely we can lay claim to Ardnaree. Its the exact same situation from the sam act. Surely it cant be one rule for mayo to retain ballagh and Sligo arent able to retain Ardanaree.

stephenite

Everyone knows the facts at this stage about Charlestown, been talked to death, not going into again.

You haven't answered the question - what players were stolen? The fact that certain players choose to play for a county Mayo team doesn not mean that they were stolen. Certain players simply decided not to play for clubs based in Sligo.
I know that doesn't suit the conspiracy theory that you've dreamed up, but that's the reality.

Answer to Q2 - The same year as Ballaghdereen transferred to Roscommon

That's incorrect, there was a year in the difference ;). Yes, Ardnaree was in Sligo at one stage, however the club in Ardnaree did not come into being until 1949 - rendering your argument useless.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: stephenite on October 18, 2009, 05:35:07 AM
[\quote]

You haven't answered the question - what players were stolen? The fact that certain players choose to play for a county Mayo team doesn not mean that they were stolen. Certain players simply decided not to play for clubs based in Sligo.
I know that doesn't suit the conspiracy theory that you've dreamed up, but that's the reality.

[\quote]

That's incorrect, there was a year in the difference ;). Yes, Ardnaree was in Sligo at one stage, however the club in Ardnaree did not come into being until 1949 - rendering your argument useless.

::) So who did they play with before 1949, Castleconnor or Ballina? Who did they play with before 1898? Its the exact same scenario as ballagh, If Castleconnor wanted players in Ardnaree, they should be no question on legality considering Ballaghdereen. Thats 100% fact spin it whatever way you, wouldnt hold much water in court. Did you ever hear of precedents?

Ardnaree club are illegal playing in mayo based on the ballaghdereen ruling. Its a area for players that Sligo should have rights alone too and Castleconnor. Doesnt make a difference to me about Ardnaree whenever they were founded. It was probably a strategic tactic by mayo to try and complicate the situation  but for me its clear cut.

REDCOL

theyd steal all our players - Alan Costello is it ?

stephenite

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 18, 2009, 07:17:40 AM
Quote from: stephenite on October 18, 2009, 05:35:07 AM

::) So who did they play with before 1949, Castleconnor or Ballina? Who did they play with before 1898? Its the exact same scenario as ballagh, If Castleconnor wanted players in Ardnaree, they should be no question on legality considering Ballaghdereen. Thats 100% fact spin it whatever way you, wouldnt hold much water in court. Did you ever hear of precedents?

Ardnaree club are illegal playing in mayo based on the ballaghdereen ruling. Its a area for players that Sligo should have rights alone too and Castleconnor. Doesnt make a difference to me about Ardnaree whenever they were founded. It was probably a strategic tactic by mayo to try and complicate the situation  but for me its clear cut.

John Forde is an Ardnaree man who won an All Ireland with Mayo, played with Ballina. Lots of inter-transferring of players between the 2 clubs over the years, Ardnaree is in Ballina FFS, Castleconnor are miles out the road

They are not an illegal club - that's almost as ridicluous as the suggestion that Mayo strategically delayed the founding of the club by 51 years to 'complicate the situation' :D ;D :D

Ballaghaderren opted to stay in Mayo for GAA purposes - Ardnaree wasn't founded when this happened, there is no precedent here as the club didn't exist.

Get over it man - nothing is going to change at this stage of the game, Ardnaree and Ballaghaderren are in Mayo when it comes to GAA.

PS: Any player from Ardnaree that wanted to transfer to Castleconnor could probably do so, indeed when Castleconnor won the Sligo Intermediate a lad from the Quay area of Ballina (who played with me on every underage team) lined out for them much to the chargin of everybody involved in Sligo GAA, including the Knockmore man Eugene McHale who wrote a lengthy piece in the Western People about the situation. There was an appeal that was turned down as far as I remember. The point is, that Castleconnor have done quite well from disaffected Ballina players over the years

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: REDCOL on October 18, 2009, 09:01:21 AM

For example the next Eamonn o Hara is born and lives in Castleconnor or Bellaghy? Goes to school in Ballina or Charlestown. What happens next? Ballina or Charlestown or Mayo make no approach? ::)

Costello was rejected by Mayo. Lives and works in Sligo. Being talked to death already aswell. Try and be honest about it. Its not like parsons and mulligans etc... have been rejected by Sligo so cant compare Costello. But its the usual spin yer try to do when i mention the border. In fact we didnt go over any border to get Costello, and that cant be said about Bellaghy.

I only knew full story story on Ardnaree recently. I had known Castleconnor had trouble there for yrs though.

stephenite

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 18, 2009, 10:11:58 AM
Quote from: REDCOL on October 18, 2009, 09:01:21 AM

For example the next Eamonn o Hara is born and lives in Castleconnor or Bellaghy? Goes to school in Ballina or Charlestown. What happens next? Ballina or Charlestown or Mayo make no approach? ::)

Costello was rejected by Mayo. Lives and works in Sligo. Being talked to death already aswell. Try and be honest about it. Its not like parsons and mulligans etc... have been rejected by Sligo so cant compare Costello. But its the usual spin yer try to do when i mention the border. In fact we didnt go over any border to get Costello, and that cant be said about Bellaghy.

I only knew full story story on Ardnaree recently. I had known Castleconnor had trouble there for yrs though.

Why are you lying again? The only people that went over borders were players that wanted to play for Mayo clubs - not Mayo clubs going across and dragging them over to play football.

What trouble have Castleconnor had for years?