St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

magpie seanie

No results to be found anywhere (a lot of games washed out I think) and no website in operation. Are we playing SFC next week and if so will we be told in time so we can get there?

Apologies for the rant and things have been better this year but this is the critical time of the year and its a bad time for things to go belly up. Does anyone know any details?

Stagmeister

Senior Championship is on this weekend and next weekend alright, I dont have any fixture details however except for our own - Ballymote v Curry Sat 5:00 p.m in Tubbercurry.

As regards the following weekend I know they want to have all the Senior Championship on the Saturday but these fixtures haven't been set yet.

We lost by 3 points to Harps in a poor enough game on the weekend...thats the only result I have.

magpie seanie

We are playing Tubber at 5pm in Ballymote on Saturday evening. Crunch tie for both clubs. The winner will probably go through, loser looks like they will be in relegation playoffs. The same situation arose last year and we went down meekly to them. Karol O'Neill is out through injury and he is a huge loss to us. People round the county don't appreciate it but he is probably our best player. Overall though I think we're better than 12 months ago though I'm sure the same is true of Tubber.

Obviously with all games on Saturday evening I'll only get to see our game and whatever tie follows it. I doubt it will be Johns v. Marys but that will be some game alright.

Mano

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 14, 2007, 09:14:11 AM
Overall though I think we're better than 12 months ago though I'm sure the same is true of Tubber.

Tubber are much better than last year-Anthony Brennan has them flying fit. There were unlucky against Curry-they were ahead for most of the game until Curry brought on a few experienced subs and Curry got the vital scores in the end. Curran, Kelly and a lad called Dermot Walshe are big players for them in forwards. Mark Boland formerly of Pats plays at centre forward. The Walshe lad was very impressive against Curry and i'm sure the watching Tommy Brehony was also impressed. It will be a tough game for ye.

magpie seanie

I see LoneShark has the odds up for the Sligo SFC. I've added my own comments beside all:

Sligo        

Curry       7/4    - Justifiably favourites but beatable. Will gain lots of possession but don't score very freely
  Tourlestrane       3/1    - Lots of top players but like most and the county lack that free scoring forward. Strong.
  Eastern Harps       4/1    - Will be there or thereabout. If they get the right mix of players can go all the way.
  Coolera/Strandhill       7/1    - Saturday will tell a lot. Cannot be objective!
  St. Mary's       8/1    - Cannot see them winning it and it would be a mild surprise if they make quarters
  Easkey      10/1    - Just a few players short to go all the way. Could make semis.
  Bunninadden      10/1    - As good as out.
  Calry/St. Joseph's      12/1    - Have improved greatly and are in with a chance of making the semis
  Drumcliffe/Rosses Point      14/1    - Seems things aren't great out there. Liable for anything, last 4 at best
  St. John's      16/1    - Saturday is a big day. Bags of talent. Should win a championship soon but not this year.
  Tubbercurry      18/1    - Loss to Curry has odds out to 18/1. If they beat us they are back on track. Value bet.
  Ballymote      33/1    - Hard to see them coming up with the goods this weekend.
  Geevagh      33/1    - 5 or 6 really good lads but weak around edges. Will do well to retain senior status
  Shamrock Gaels      33/1    - Will battle hard and could make quarters or struggle against relegation.
  Castleconnor      50/1     - practically out but should be good enough to stay up.

magpie seanie

Mano - saw a bit of Dermot Walsh this year and he is bloody good alright. Whoever wins this game on Saturday could go far. obviously hope its us but under no illusions about the task in front of our lads.

Owenmoresider

Re the odds - swap Tubber and the Bunnies and it's not too far wrong. Losing the first game didn't stop Tubber getting through last year and it may not do this time either.

As for this weekend, after the washout of the weekend, Round 2 resumes, Tourlestrane having beaten Curry in the IFC on Saturday.

In the Intermediate action:
Our game is too hard to call, they are in freefall, but we have embarked on a brutal run ourselves, and we aren't blessed with too many scoring options. C/M are back to full strength it would appear. Here's hoping but I'm not too confident. Would be nice to send them packing though.

Michael's v Molaises - Grange to win, and Michael's to get verbals in abundance.

Harps v Ballisodare - Harps have been plundered by their seniors. Doesn't mean they won't win this one. Ballisodare shuffle off the stage without anyone noticing.

Enniscrone v Mary's - Mary's seem to be getting a more competitive run these days, unfortunately for them so have Enniscrone, and that against rather better opposition. The beachboys from the eventual concrete jungle to succeed. Would be good for us too.

Farnan's v Drumcliffe - Drumcliffe get a local venue, presumably to entice them to turn up. If they do the outcome will be the same.

And in Senior:

Strandhill/Coolera v Tubber - very hard called. Coolera can certainly improve on the Ballymote display, and will need to to win here. A tentative vote for Coolera.

Mary's v John's - Again, hard to know. John's are on the up (despite their league position) and Mary's are on the slide. Will this game confirm that? Maybe. A narrow John's win.

Harps v C'connor - Harps to win.

Ballymote v Curry - Ballymote will put it up to Curry, but don't have enough to undo the champions. Curry to advance.

Shams v Easkey - Easkey to win this tie, as they always do. Venue is no harm to them either, funny what happens when you lose that bit of pull eh?

Geevagh v Drumcliffe - Geevagh will not go down too easy, but Drumcliffe have gained a decent record in recent C'ships, and should build on this, with a few points to spare.

Tourlestrane v Bunnies - Last year's finalists bid farewell, as Tour win.

One thing of note for Mullinabreena - they have had it bad over the last 18 months since the IFC win, but ironically so have the team that knocked them out of Connacht. Boyle were relegated from Ros Senior last year, and are now battling to stay in Intermediate, having lost to their near less-successful neighbours (Cootehall) at the weekend. An omen perhaps?

Teeling Gael

At last the championship really kicked off in earnest this weekend. Johns defeat of Marys is the big result in seniors knocking Marys out. By all accounts a tight match where M Brehony wasn't as accurate as normal from frees. Harps had their expected win over Castleconnor who could struggle in relegation playoffs. Bunninaddens horrible championship was completed as Tourlestane roasted them. Can't really read much into that result for Tourlestane yet. Easkey and Drumcliffe again had their expected wins over Shamrock Gaels and Geevagh though Geevagh could class themselves as unlucky. Gaels could beat Drumcliff next weekend but not by the 6/7 points required. In the toughest group Ballymote put it up to Curry but fell short. Tubber and Coolera played out a draw which in my view forces Coolera to get something against Curry next weekend as surely Tubber will beat an uninterested Ballymote to move past Coolera in points difference otherwise. I know we cover this on an annual basis but the quality of the coverage on ocean Fm is abysmal. The presenter was talking about Tourle Strain and by virtue of the fact they were playing Drumcliff I deduce Geevagh but it sure as hell didnt sound like it. In fairness they have a couple of ok reporters but I genuinely think one of them was never at a GAA match before.

In the intermediate Tourlestrane bet Curry by a point and Harps thrashed Ballisodare. Ballisodare in fairness have been improving in recent weeks but until they move to a pitch that is a decent size they will  go nowhere as all their current pitch does is mask their complete lack of fitness. Less said about Drumcliff vrs Farnans the better. Games like this put Sligo football into disrepute. I always believed in the decision to relegate alot of teams from intermediate and have a decent Junior championship but i'm not sure anymore. Teams will end up been relegated and staying down their as one season wonders like Drumcliff use the system for one season with half of their senior team to win it and then cant field a team at intermediate the next year. Michaels pulled of a major shock over Mholaises who in recent months have shown an inability to win tight games. Amazingly for a pretty harmless club and therefore universally liked up to this year , the new regime down in Grange meant that this result was greeted with delight around the county ( well in Collooney anyhow !!).

In easily the closest fought group of either championship, Enniscrone defeated Marys by a point and Coolaney us by 2. Personally felt our game was a top class game but OMS would have a better viewing point than me. A goal from a ball hitting the post was the turning point but a couple of Coolaneys big players hitting form ultimately made the difference. At the end of the day all 4 teams can still qualify so its all to play for next weekend.

magpie seanie

A good summary Teeling Gael. Will only add a bit from the games I was at myself.

Our lads really should have seen it out and clinched the win against Tubber (though to be honest we could have lost it late on too). We played the better football for most of the game and were in a strong position in the final quarter but the draw leaves us in a tricky spot for next weekend. We cannot afford to lose but to be honest if you have designs on winning or going far in the championship you shouldn't be contemplating defeat. Fingers crossed from our point of view. I expect Tubber to beat Ballymote by 7 to 10 points so we need a draw at worst.

Caught the second half of the Drumcliffe/Geevagh game. Drumcliff started the second half well but seemed to go to sleep after establishing a 6 point lead. Geevagh kept grinding and reduced the gap to the minimum late on. They then fluffed a few chances to equalise and the north Sligo lads made them pay by knocking over two late scores to tie it up. Geevagh were without Pat Cawley for some reason. Drumcliff have some talent alright but played in fits and starts.

That's it so. Some big games next weekend as we head for the crunch.

Teeling Gael

Just read on sligogaa.ie the fixtures plan for remainder of season and am totally bemused here.

Its particuliarily cheeky of the committee to talk about Division 1A finals and Division 2B finals and not mention the scheduling remaining fixtures in 1B or 2A. By my calculations and certainly the case in 2A , it will be close to November before the league will be finished. Coolera could be at least 10 weeks without football ( its a good job they have nothing to play for but that should be incidental)

Why is there a Senior Shield and no Intermediate Shield ?? ( shouldn't be either but its blatant discrimination to have one and not the other )

Something in relegation playoffs doesn't sit right with me. In a championship no matter what people think, the best team wins it. Surely in relegation playoffs, the worst teams should be relegated ?? By splitting sections into 2 , this isn't guaranteed to happen. Blatantly didn't happen last year in intermediate and wont happen this year either with the current draw. I believe, the best and most logical solution, is that the teams in the relegation playoffs should simply be the 4 teams that finish bottom of their section and then they all play each other. This automatically brings a spark to Round 3 championship games that are currently meaningless ( Castleconnor/ Marys) and even Tubber / Ballymote would have more meaning. 

Why was this draw made last night before the final round of matches ?? For example Ballisodare in the intermediate are effectively guaranteed safety if they lose to Torlestrane in their last championship match as they are then in a section with Drumcliff who i don't believe will even field  in playoffs, but if Ballisodare win they are likely to be relegated !!!!! This completely and utterly compromises the whole championship.

The joys of this website is that there is a tracking of ones postings so you can see that throughout  the year I've been consistent in my views of the CCC/Activities committee. Perhaps a blatantly reprehensible decision they made against my club early this year may have coloured my view but I honestly think that the Activities committee have seriously taken their eye of the ball in 2007 after an excellent 2006.

magpie seanie

TG - your first couple of points hold some weight but I wouldn't be hugely concerned about the lack of a schedule for the finishing of 1B and 2A in the current circumstances. The way things are at present I'd say they'll hope things fall right for them to be able to clear the back games in Sept and have final round on Oct 21st with finals the week after? Shouldn't have come to this though.

Agree there should be no "reserve" or whatever the hell it is but if in senior why not in inter?

There is no denying that the relegation system is wrong and a total disgrace. You are 100% correct on this. We got stung by it last year but we never did anything about it. Now its seems that Ballisodare will again escape at the expense of another better team. IMO they'd be better to go down and build (or better still, go back to the fold) cos there's no hope of them surviving in 2008.

magpie seanie

The final round of the group stages of the championship is almost upon us. Some interesting ties coming up in the next few days:

SENIOR

Johns v. Harps - you'd have to give Harps the nod but it will be interesting to see John's attitude. My spies tell me some of them were seen drinking champagne on Saturday night in town. I hope for their sake that that's only a bit of immature townie bravado cos there's more in them than the odd win against a wounded big gun.

Mary's v. Castleconnor - The prize for the winners is an easier looking group in the relegation playoffs. Mary's to capitalise.

Curry v. Coolera/Strandhill - A huge game for our lads. I think we can get the required result but will need to play more consistently than in our previous two outings in this competition. Curry are bloody hard to beat.

Tubbercurry v. Ballymote - unfortunately from our point of view the new rules (coupled with the stupid relegation groups draw) mean Ballymote have nothing to play for. Tubber need to win and win well and I expect them to do so.

Easkey v. Geevagh - Easkey's greater know how should see them through as group winners.

Shamrock Gaels v. Drumcliffe - I fancy that Shamrock Gaels might win this battle but lose the war so to speak.

Tourlestrane v. Calry/St. Josephs - Tourlestrane will win.

INTERMEDIATE

Cloonacool V St Michaels - Michaels to win to top group.

Enniscrone V Coolaney/Mullinabreena - You'd expect Enniscrone to come through but don't be surprised if it's a draw.

St Marys V Owenmore Gaels - I think Owenmore Gaels might just sneak this one if they can avoid the concession of a goal or goals and get back to their old habit of nicking one the far end.

St Patricks V Drumcliffe Rosses Pt - Pats by a big score but not as big as the week before.

Tourlestrane V Ballisodare - Despite eventually losing a few players Tourlestrane to win comfortably and advance.

Curry V Eastern Harps - Harps title of undisputed best club second team in the county is under severe threat and will go if they lose here. I think the fightback will start here with a narrow win.

That would leave QF's as follows:

Tourlestrane v. St. Pats;
St. Farnan's v. Eastern Harps;
St. Michaels v. Owenmore Gaels or Coolaney/Mullinabreena;
St. Molaise Gaels v. Enniscorne.

Teeling Gael

Sadly Seanie, Owenmore Gaels old habit of scoring goals is literally an old habit. We have scored something like four goals from play in 13 matches which is horrific. If we can keep Marys down to a single goal , I think we can win. Its a massive match for us as i cant see some of our lads, after our recent run, being too motivated for relegation playoffs yet a 3 point win is likely to have us in a local derby against Michaels for a place in the semis. The joys of Championship !!

After, so to speak , ridden both horses running in the other match, I expect Coolaney to win.

Pats will obviously beat Drumcliff and if the semi final draw is the same as in senior  (winners A vrs C and B vrs D) then a path is opening up nicely for them to reach final. Tourlestrane will beat Ballisodare and think I just about fancy Curry against Harps. Michaels should beat Cloonacool but Michaels have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot and Cloonacool are on a winning run so there wouldn't be much in it.

Whoever cares the most will win between Castleconnor and Marys. Harps to beat Johns -- Harps must have the most impressive looking backline assembled in the county in awhile. Easkey will beat Geevagh . Drumcliff to beat Shamrock Gaels as I think simply because I can't see some of the Gaels lads believing they can win by 6 points. Tourlestrane will beat Calry and obviously as talked about earlier in the week Tubber will beat Ballymote. In the big match of the weekend , I think Curry will just about beat Coolera ( Dont overly like the look of your forward line Seanie that started against Tubber though a fit K o Neill would make a huge difference) though as a draw suits both teams , i wouldn't be surprsied if it ended up that way.

Owenmoresider

Regarding the relegation groups, Ballisodare get lucky again, and we could be in serious bother should we go out. One decent team to fall there. The big guns may surivive in Senior playoffs though.

The weekend fixtures, with Tourlestrane/Calry postponed, may go as:

Senior - Harps, Mary's, Tubber, Curry (just), Easkey (bit to spare), Drumcliffe.

Intermediate - Curry (in a close one), Tourlestrane (is it still on?), Pat's (ref should bring two notebooks)l, Michael's, Enniscrone (in a close call), and ourselves, but you wouldn't know what we could do. All will be known by two on Sunday.

baoithe

I see the website is down since yesterday evening. Has anyone got a rundown of results?