Factors that can help you become a good footballer!

Started by From the Bunker, November 26, 2017, 11:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Was just thinking there about various factors (outside of training and practicing a lot) that help a Player develop into a great player.

Being the youngest in a family of lads who plays football - Cillian and Diarmuid O'Coonor, Michael Meehan and Colin Cooper come to mind.

Being given the role as free taker from an early age.

Having pull. If you come from a strong GAA family, your dad is the coach, etc. You'll get more chances to shine.

If you play for a good club with good players.

Learning from Players in your club that have played at the highest level.

Good coach(es) in your club.

Syferus

Being a nippy little fûcker. The rest can be thaught.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 26, 2017, 11:32:02 PM
Was just thinking there about various factors (outside of training and practicing a lot) that help a Player develop into a great player.

Being the youngest in a family of lads who plays football - Cillian and Diarmuid O'Coonor, Michael Meehan and Colin Cooper come to mind.

Having pull. If you come from a strong GAA family, your dad is the coach, etc. You'll get more chances to shine.

Who is that guy?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Ball Hopper on November 27, 2017, 04:38:22 AM

Who is that guy?

The lad who played for Middlesbrough and Forest. Not the Gooch! :P

BennyCake

Having a big back garden.

Having no chores to do as a kid.

seafoid

Growing up in a  culture where excellence is encouraged
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

oakleaflad

Being naturally tall/strong/fast would be an advantage, things that can't be trained at a young age. Strength can be improved to a degree when older and speed ever so slightly but you get what I'm saying.

BennyCake

I know people with brutal hand to eye coordination and poor at sports, and seen people capable of taking to any sport right away. Can hand to eye coordination be taught or just instinctive?

Orior

Having parents who are not afraid to switch off the wireless router.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

GetOverTheBar

From a young age? Encouragement.

Too many youngsters are discarded very early on now with the win at all costs mentality in the games.

general_lee

rosnarun

practice practice preactise.
being from a football mad family who recognize the benefit of the hours you put in and not think what a waste of time
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Fuzzman

Good thread, especially if you have kids.

My eldest is 9 now and he is always playing a year ahead of himself. He was born in January and up until last year he was always struggling a bit but now he realizes how he can use his pace better and so he's nearly always first to the ball before his man (or his team mates)

I keep encouraging everything he does but this year I've especially been telling him how he can use his speed far far more to get to the ball before others and not to be standing back waiting for others to take the initiative as he has a tendency to do. He's enjoying it much more now and the coaches don't know now whether he should continue as a reliable defender or push him further up  the field.

I hope the 6 year old makes as good of progress as at the minute he's doesn't even want the ball.

ned

Quote from: BennyCake on November 27, 2017, 09:48:58 AM
I know people with brutal hand to eye coordination and poor at sports, and seen people capable of taking to any sport right away. Can hand to eye coordination be taught or just instinctive?

You are either a natural or your not. However, beyond that, practice and hard work are needed no matter your skill levels. You can learn to kick with your weaker foot, you can train to be able to jump higher, you can learn how to deal better with situations with experience. So I guess better hand to eye coordination can be learned. Take one good and one average sportsman, with the less skillful one putting in the hours of practice, I reckon the average player will have more success. I'm sure most of us know players within our clubs who had all the talent but did not progress as they were lazy, not dedicated or whatever. Very few make it to the top without hard graft.

From the Bunker

Quote from: rosnarun on November 27, 2017, 10:45:12 AM
practice practice preactise.
being from a football mad family who recognize the benefit of the hours you put in and not think what a waste of time

Yes, I realise practice is the main ingredient. But what I'm looking for is peripheral factors that help a player without him consciously knowing/trying.