Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

The kick-out has been a big issue in some of the unexpected hammerings dished out this year. Certainly in Donegal's losses to Tyrone and Galway, and absolutely today.

The Trap

Tipp got to last 4 last year but do you honestly think they would have beaten mayo Dublin kerry or tyrone had they met? Only reason tyrone did not get to semi final was because they met mayo in last 8

Zulu

While it's not looking good for the super 8 based on this years QF's that's not to say the gap will be as big next year or the year after. Kildare will certainly improve, as will Roscommon. You'd expect Galway, Armagh, Donegal, Cork and, maybe, Monaghan and Meath to do so too. The top four might do so as well but the likes of Roscommon and Kildare certainly have more room for improvement. It doesn't matter the format if we have a few teams miles ahead of the rest but I don't think the gap will be the same in the coming years.

armaghniac

We have sometimes heard the strange concept that the winners of the any B championship should be allowed back into the AI series at a late stage. I think events this weekend show how pointless that would be.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

StGallsGAA

Tyrone, Mayo, Dublin and Kerry to play one another home and away every year for the next decade to decide Sam.  Winner takes all.  All other county teams to take up hurling and/or camogie.

RedHand88

Quote from: StGallsGAA on August 07, 2017, 04:11:32 PM
Tyrone, Mayo, Dublin and Kerry to play one another home and away every year for the next decade to decide Sam.  Winner takes all.  All other county teams to take up hurling and/or camogie.

Hilarious how Tyrone having one good year and Donegal having one bad year means we are going to be the dominant force for the next decade.

Solo_run

So the top 4 teams have all destroyed the lower ranking teams and now there is going to be a super 8  :o ;D

Can the GAA do anything right?!

Esmarelda

Yeah, time for two sixteen team championships.
Sorry, time for a three tiered championship.
Nope, that won't work again.
In the absence of a solution, let's blame Duffy and the Super 8.

seafoid

Quote from: Zulu on August 07, 2017, 03:27:49 PM
While it's not looking good for the super 8 based on this years QF's that's not to say the gap will be as big next year or the year after. Kildare will certainly improve, as will Roscommon. You'd expect Galway, Armagh, Donegal, Cork and, maybe, Monaghan and Meath to do so too. The top four might do so as well but the likes of Roscommon and Kildare certainly have more room for improvement. It doesn't matter the format if we have a few teams miles ahead of the rest but I don't think the gap will be the same in the coming years.
You'll have entropy in the top 4 and growth in the pretenders so things should be better over the next few years
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

LeoMc

Two 16 team championships. Straight knock out. No back door.
8 teams beaten in round 1 (senior) play off. Bottom 4 drop to the second tier the next year.
4 Semi-finalists in the second tier move up to Senior the following year.
8 teams beaten in round 1 (2nd tier) play off for a 3rd tier trophy if there is a need to ensure everyone gets a minimum of 2 games.

Win 2 games and you play with the big boys the following year. Lose 2 and you go back down.

APM

I have to laugh at the nonsense about splitting the championship into tiers.  We have four teams a mile ahead of the rest.  On their day, some of the rest will give them a game if they are at the top of their game and the top teams under perform.  Outside that it is competitive among the remainder.  The other division 1 teams (2017/18), Monaghan, Donegal, Cavan, Galway and Kildare were all beaten by Division 2 / 3 opposition in the Championship this year. 

If you were trying to tier the Championship on this years form, you would segment the top four from Division 1.  Another segment from the bottom half of Division 1, all of Division 2 and the top three teams in Division 3.  The remainder of Division 3 and 4 would be in a third tier (although that would be tough on Carlow). Obviously you would have to make an exception for Longford given their uncanny ability to perform in the qualifiers. 

The nonsense is that if you were to segment on the basis of performance, the top tier would start at Semi-Finals.

Fuzzman

I think one of the big pluses that the Super 8s will give us is more matches for those 2nd tier teams against the top 4.
If you work backwards, there is always going to be one winner, then the top 2, top 4 and top 8
Usually those teams who make it to the quarterfinals like say Monaghan, Galway, Cork and maybe Kildare in recent years tend to only get one game in Croke park as their reward for getting that far.

Now they get 3 more games against 2 provincial winners and against another qualifier team. As we call know, you only get better by playing teams that are better than you and so in my view this new structure rewards those teams with 3 more games rather than just one more where they might get hockeyed by a provincial winner.
Those of you, like Brolly said, could argue that they could get 3 more hammerings (or at least two) but at least they are getting games. I'd say Armagh, Monaghan, Roscommon and Galway would all love to play 3 more championship games so that they can better themselves.

I'd be curious what fans from those counties would prefer next year. A once off game against one of the provincial winners or 3 more games.

Rossfan

We got 2 games this year!!
Our lads need to train more than this year's  starting in April lark if we're to be able for 3 big games in successive weeks.
A once off game is great if you win but 3 slightly less pressurised games would be better for a developing team in my humble.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 11, 2017, 05:28:08 PM

I'd be curious what fans from those counties would prefer next year. A once off game against one of the provincial winners or 3 more games.
Teams coming through the qualifiers will more than likely have played a good few games to reach the last 8 and won't have the conditioning work done of the top four teams for another 3 more games to just to reach the final 4. Supporters i can imagine of underdogs would want that off game with the chance to catch the favourites on the hop, Roscommon for example were a kick of a ball from doing that, Tipp achieved it last year and Wexford,Fermanagh in past.  Little or no chance of the underdog coming out of round robin system, they might be lucky to win one of the three games and the probably well bet in the other two games.

The "Super 8" IMO will just make the top 4 stronger and create a bigger gap between those 4 and the rest.

RedHand88

This year it would have been between Armagh and roscommon for a semi final spot. And only 2 between tyrone/mayo/dublin. Now imagine THAT.