Under 12 championships - no more Go Games

Started by manfromdelmonte, January 14, 2017, 10:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Has anyone else heard the rule change at Under 12 level that 13 a side championships are to be allowed run in football and hurling thus doing away with the Go Games format at U12 level, which has been pared back to U11 level?

Ty4Sam

First I've heard of it  but if true it's a step in the right direction. Competitiveness is natural to that age group, let them play and experience winning but more importantly losing. GoGames is a fantastic initiative but I think U12 is a bit too old to ask kids to play non competitively.

No wides

And a bit to young to allow kids who are developing at a slower rate to sit all season on the sideline.  It may drive kids away.

Ty4Sam

Completely understand your point, I really do. I think more emphasis should be put on managers to give all kids game time. I'm not promoting a win at all costs championship but I think encouraging competitiveness is a good thing no matter how far down the development line you are.

JimStynes

I'm not sure. I would start competitive around Under 14 age group!

RealSpiritof98

Really feel we are wrapping the kids in cotton wool, it's the same in all walks of life. I was a young parent and now as I turn 34 I have a 13 year old girl in 2nd year and a 10 year old that will be a 1st year in September. Some of the stuff they come out with is dumbfounding, the letters we get home from school need an hour of your time and they come every second day. The rules and regulations that teachers and coaches have to abide by are rediculus. The three best coaches I played under scared the living crap out of me because I knew they would not take any SH1T. There is no fear factor anymore with the modern day child because they know they have you tied up in knots. When it comes to developing footballers let them play go games till 10. Then let them compete. Yes the stronger will survive at first but then the smaller will grow up round them and will be stronger because of the experience. The participation era yes let's everyone play who's to say it's isn't driving away talented youngsters that need a competitive edge and they go and get it at rugby of soccer.

JimStynes

I am all for competitive games. But at under 12 I think it should be 9 a side and ensuring more children get game time, while keeping it competitive at the same time.

manfromdelmonte

I too think that 12 year olds should be playing competitive games. Its in their nature to want to win games. Losing is important too.
Some kids get too used to winning, then when they start to lose games at U14 and U16 they don't want to play anymore!

However, what many clubs will do is play talented 11 and 10 year olds instead of the weaker 12 year olds as the need to win a game in a championship becomes the priority.

AZOffaly

In Tipp it hasn't been Go Games at U12 for 2 years now.

TheManInBlack

I was under the impression that one of the reasons for doing away with U12 championships was down to the moronic behaviour of mentors and parents. Competition is one thing, but being possibly intimadated out of a 'sporting' pursuit is another. Therefore players walking away at 12.

Avondhu star

The one big issue not being addressed is the loss of players particularly when they enter secondary school. If kids dont get game time they will quickly go off the sport and find something else to do. Coaches and managers really dont care about losing weaker young lads as long as they can field a team and supplement a panel by bringing up a strong player from a younger age group. There are plenty so called weaker lads though who stuck with it and developed into fine players as they grew physically.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

rosnarun

Quote from: Avondhu star on January 15, 2017, 07:25:07 PM
The one big issue not being addressed is the loss of players particularly when they enter secondary school. If kids dont get game time they will quickly go off the sport and find something else to do. Coaches and managers really dont care about losing weaker young lads as long as they can field a team and supplement a panel by bringing up a strong player from a younger age group. There are plenty so called weaker lads though who stuck with it and developed into fine players as they grew physically.
i think thats where internal competitions such as schools leagues should come into it. Kids don't really mind who they are playing as long as they are getting a game . Games should be competitive but not necessarily with in structured competitions 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

Quote from: rosnarun on January 16, 2017, 11:22:13 AM
Quote from: Avondhu star on January 15, 2017, 07:25:07 PM
i think thats where internal competitions such as schools leagues should come into it. Kids don't really mind who they are playing as long as they are getting a game . Games should be competitive but not necessarily with in structured competitions

I think there is an onus on clubs and boards to make sure they organise secondary and tertiary competitions for clubs who have numbers. We have 3 U12 teams, and luckily enough in North Tipp there are sufficient numbers to play competitions at 3 separate grades, so basically everyone of them is getting regular games.

At U14 we had two teams last year, but probably enough for 3 teams this year. And that's where it gets tricky. The 'probably enough' comment. Or those clubs who might have say 24 U14s. You can obviously bump it up with U12s to make 2 teams, but I'd also like to see a seperate schedule, even at 7 aside, where the clubs can bring 10 players and play against other clubs in a similar position. Make it competitive and call it the U14 Supplementary Championship or something. The kids need to know they are playing something that is worth playing, not some sort of blitz thing for the weaker guys. Make a rule that you can only play 3 or 4 of your U14 team that played in the grades above.

That way you'd be guaranteed games for the 6 or 7 lads in a panel of 24 that are getting very limited if any game time with the top team in the age group. If you don't have a B team entered, this is where you start to lose lads.

uimhr ocht

Was it croke park done away with the u12 championship or was it up to each county to decide weather to have it or go games,we have a competetive league but no chship.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: uimhr ocht on January 16, 2017, 05:46:09 PM
Was it croke park done away with the u12 championship or was it up to each county to decide weather to have it or go games,we have a competetive league but no chship.
Croke Park directive