So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

sligoman2

Interesting article on hoganstand today

Black card rule=more scores
02 October

Statistics released by the GAA's Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) show that the average number of points scored per game in this year's football championship was 9.5 per cent higher than last year.

The CCCC's findings also show that there was an average of five less frees awarded per game in 2014 compared to previous years and that less than one black card per championship game was brandished on average.

The statement in full is:

• The 2014 Football Championships have set a record for the number of scores recorded in a single season.
• With the introduction of the black card, the average number of points per game in the 2014 championship is roughly 9.5% higher than in 2013; the number of points scored has increased by just shy of five points per game since 2010.
• There were over five less frees on average per game awarded in the 2014 championship in comparison with previous years.
• On average, slightly less than one black card per Championship game has been shown in 2014 – figures consistent with the numbers shown per game in this year's Allianz Football Leagues
• In keeping with the trend witnessed in the Allianz leagues, the total number of cards shown for disciplinary reasons has decreased dramatically with in the region of 40% less cards being shown for disciplinary reasons in 2014.

Cards per game: The number of disciplinary cards shown to players in this year's Championships has fallen dramatically with just 4.32 cards shown per game in 2014 (Black, Yellow and Red cards combined) as opposed to 7.35 per game in the 2013 Championship (Yellow & Red cards combined) and a high of eight per game in 2010.

The instance of black cards shown has been less than one per game played, while the number of yellow cards shown in 2014 was effectively half of the number shown during the 2014 Championship. All of these figures are consistent with the trends witnessed in the Allianz leagues since the introduction of the Black Card.

Scores per Game: The number of scores per championship game has increased by roughly 9.5% since the introduction of the new Black Card rule for cynical behaviour fouls. In the 2014 Championships, the total aggregate scores (goals and points combined) per game played was 34.92 – this represented an increase of three points per game from both this year's Allianz Leagues and from the 2013 Football Championships.

The instance of goals scored rose from 1.98 per game in the 2013 Championships to 2.34 per game in 2014 with the number of white flags being raised increasing by almost 2 per game.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

muppet

The above stats may have an element of truth to them. But referees pretty much ignored the black card in the Championship. Thus it can hardly be lauded as a success. When rugby introduced the sin-bin, they meant it. We do things differently.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

I think the card had an element of a deterrent effect this year, but as you say the refs basically bottled some decisions later in the year. I think that will mean players will try their luck in the league next year and see if this is another rule that's quietly being left to die off.

I do think it has almost completely eliminated the off the ball body check to take out a runner. That in itself was worth doing.

whitey

On paper it worked great....but when it mattered most, a certain referee bottled not one, but two stonewall black card decisions which essentially determined the outcome of this years championship.

Keane

I would think some of the bottling of decisions was down to several very vocal former players on twitter and in the media screaming about how the black card was bound to disastrously lead to big players being ejected early in big games at the end of the Championship, ruining games.

I always expected that this year the approach would be to avoid giving black cards in the Championship as far as possible and to get gradually stricter with it over the coming seasons as people got used to it.

A sensible way to bring it in from the POV of avoiding the sort of hysterical overreaction we got when the Sin Bin was tried out in the league a few years ago, but not exactly the bravest way to go about it.

nrico2006

Those stats are meaningless unless they identify the trends in the number of scores from play.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Bingo

I'd rather see stats from a decent % of the games played rather than the high profile inter county championship games.

I see from the results in the Donegal championship at the weekend that they didn't lead to higher scoring! Or maybe that was for Donegal championship.

In vast majority of club games its been ignored. Think we got about 3 all year from minor to reserves to senior.

Collie Brolly

It's working lads.1 or 2 incidents high profile as they were won't change that.
Conor McManus s an interview in today's examiner slating it yet backing it.
Bizarre you might say but Ulster will oppose anything.
The media non-ending fixation with it is comical at this stage.

Rossfan

Quote from: Collie Brolly on October 03, 2014, 10:54:49 AM
It's working lads.1 or 2 incidents high profile as they were won't change that.
Conor McManus s an interview in today's examiner slating it yet backing it.
Bizarre you might say but Ulster will oppose anything.
The media non-ending fixation with it is comical at this stage.

;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

It certainly has taken the illegal, off the ball, body check out of the game. I don't see how anyone can argue with that.

mrdeeds

Has the scoring increased because of lob sided provincial championships as opposed to the black card. After quarter final stage it was barely used. Farcical.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 03, 2014, 11:01:48 AM
It certainly has taken the illegal, off the ball, body check out of the game. I don't see how anyone can argue with that.

I would agree, but this seems to have been replaced with the lad who makes his handpass, runs straight into the opponent and lets out a roar. I saw this from a few players in the Mayo county semi-finals, one guy in particular was doing it all the time. To be fair to refs, this might contribute to their reticence to issue a black card.
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

I'm struggling to think of any harsh black cards over the course of the year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: orangeman on October 03, 2014, 01:17:29 PM
Statistically it's been a great success.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-claim-statistics-prove-success-of-black-card-1.1949901

Here is proof that 1 = 0:

x = y.
Then x2 = xy.
Subtract the same thing from both sides:
x2 - y2 = xy - y2.
Dividing by (x-y), obtain
x + y = y.
Since x = y, we see that
2 y = y.
Thus 2 = 1, since we started with y nonzero.
Subtracting 1 from both sides,
1 = 0.
MWWSI 2017