Ooh Ah Up The Ra

Started by illdecide, October 14, 2022, 09:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: michaelg on October 17, 2022, 09:45:46 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 17, 2022, 09:25:06 AM
Quote from: ONeill on October 16, 2022, 11:18:11 PM
There's something happening at the minute and it's interesting to watch. Not sure if it's a reaction to being told by a Sky reporter how the Irish should behave or an acceptance of our own history but there's something happening here.

I think so too and it's the Southern media's response to this.

A bunch of Armagh or Tyrone camogs or ladies footballers and they'd be fair game for this overreaction for your one from Portadown trying to get some of the girls sacked, but they're Dubs, they're from Cork, Donegal and wherever..

So far it's been slightly more nuanced, Mullaly in the Irish Times touches on it (although she's quick to distinguish the new IRA from the Old IRA  ;)  ) as it's the young, modern Irish are proud of their Irish heritage and manifests itself in Republicanism whereas the older generations were still forelock tuggers to the English betters.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2022/10/13/una-mullally-what-does-it-mean-to-say-up-the-ra-and-why-does-it-keep-happening/

Or maybe it's a bit of what Mulally points to but also the youth of Ireland being much better informed as to what actually happened up here during the troubles now that RTE has lost it's absolute control of the messaging relating to here.

They're now hearing that the British Army did run amok in Derry and Ballymurphy killing people who are just like them, they now know that the British Army were directly involved in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, they now know that the British Army and the RUC worked cheek to jowl with Loyalist paramilitaries killed people like Sean Brown and Aidan McAnespie just for their love of GAA, just like them.

The truth may have set the youth of Ireland free, may it set Ireland free.
They must not have got the memo about Enniskillen, Shankill, Warrington, Bloody Friday etc

Oh, they got those alright on RTE and rightly so, but some of the ones I mentioned were airbrushed as much on RTE as they were on the BBC.

MoChara

St Finbarrs of cork are now canceled, caught singing Celtic Symphony on Buff Egans snapchat

seafoid

This is a great insight into the awful banal evil of Unionist domination

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0911/1075218-john-
humes-derry/

imtommygunn

Some of the shite you read on this is some craic. Now apparently thousands of people from the 26 support(ed) the IRA because there were a few videos. A united Ireland is off. Locakhart and Pengelly are deeply upset.

You couldn't make it up.

Snapchap

There's something happening at the minute and it's interesting to watch. Not sure if it's a reaction to being told by a Sky reporter how the Irish should behave or an acceptance of our own history but there's something happening here.

A bunch of Armagh or Tyrone camogs or ladies footballers and they'd be fair game for this overreaction for your one from Portadown trying to get some of the girls sacked, but they're Dubs, they're from Cork, Donegal and wherever..

So far it's been slightly more nuanced, Mullaly in the Irish Times touches on it (although she's quick to distinguish the new IRA from the Old IRA  ;)  ) as it's the young, modern Irish are proud of their Irish heritage and manifests itself in Republicanism whereas the older generations were still forelock tuggers to the English betters.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2022/10/13/una-mullally-what-does-it-mean-to-say-up-the-ra-and-why-does-it-keep-happening/

Or maybe it's a bit of what Mulally points to but also the youth of Ireland being much better informed as to what actually happened up here during the troubles now that RTE has lost it's absolute control of the messaging relating to here.

They're now hearing that the British Army did run amok in Derry and Ballymurphy killing people who are just like them, they now know that the British Army were directly involved in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, they now know that the British Army and the RUC worked cheek to jowl with Loyalist paramilitaries killed people like Sean Brown and Aidan McAnespie just for their love of GAA, just like them.

They must not have got the memo about Enniskillen, Shankill, Warrington, Bloody Friday etc
Never heard of Section 31? Those are the sorts of things the people of the south were fed an uninterrupted diet of.

Pub Bore

Is what's happening an example of The Streisand Effect??

Pub Bore

You really didn't watch RTE much back in the day, did you?

Snapchap

Quote from: bennydorano on October 17, 2022, 09:39:53 AM
Noticed the Newsletter headline this morning while getting my paper. Had a little laugh to myself thinking do they not realise people are taking the piss now - didn't read the story hut assume it was the singing of Celtic Symphony at the FAI semi yesterday and at Dublin Airport.

The front page of The Newsletter the morning after the Creeslough tragedy:

https://twitter.com/JohnCharlesLave/status/1580838668105048065/photo/1

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: seafoid on October 17, 2022, 10:06:16 AM
This is a great insight into the awful banal evil of Unionist domination

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0911/1075218-john-
humes-derry/

The sad thing is. A lot hasnt changed in terms of how Derry has been treated. Few relatives of mines in there. Jesus they were great people back in the day

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Pub Bore on October 17, 2022, 10:35:02 AM

Barbara?

Orior

Quote from: Snapchap on October 17, 2022, 10:38:09 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on October 17, 2022, 09:39:53 AM
Noticed the Newsletter headline this morning while getting my paper. Had a little laugh to myself thinking do they not realise people are taking the piss now - didn't read the story hut assume it was the singing of Celtic Symphony at the FAI semi yesterday and at Dublin Airport.

The front page of The Newsletter the morning after the Creeslough tragedy:

https://twitter.com/JohnCharlesLave/status/1580838668105048065/photo/1

That's interesting. AFAIK, Laverty is a soccer loving Ballymena Catholic who wouldn't cross the road to watch a Gaelic match. I think his elevation in the Belfast Telegraph means he has to raise his head above the parapet, which won't please the low-brow knuckle-draggers.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Pub Bore

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 17, 2022, 10:41:41 AM
Quote from: Pub Bore on October 17, 2022, 10:35:02 AM

Barbara?
Yes.  I don't think this is exactly the Streisand Effect but it's where the more attention you draw to something it makes people who weren't aware of it, aware of it.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I thought it was where you got the urge to sing and act in bad films

Keyser soze

Well that's exactly the point, everyone can rhyme off these list of incidents as they are constantly in the media limelight, in the way Bloody Sunday is also. Though to be fair I don't think there was an establishment conspiracy to label the victims in any of the former incidents as culpable in their own demise in the way the Bloody Sunday victims were, and quite frankly still are across a large swathe of unionist opinion in the north.

I listened to part of Nolan there, a man from Newtownards was on who said he had been caught up in an IRA bombing in 1992. He was strongly against people glorifying the IRA by singing the Celtic Symphony and was looking people banned from the airport and the Ireland team to be banned from the world cup. There was absolutely no mention of banning anyone from the centre of Banbridge.

He then said that he was lucky he wasn't 'killed innocently' and that he was lucky he wasn't one of the "1800 people that were killed innocently". To me this just sums up the entire mindset of a substantial proportion of the unionist population. That the 1800 people who were killed by the IRA were innocent victims. The remaining people who were killed by the Police Army and UVF etc were not among the innocent victims.

Nolan, neglected to challenge this nonsense from the contributor.

There weren't any UVF victims on, or Catholics asked if they were offended by the FTP songs.

paddyjohn

I think it's class. Great catchy wee tune.