Red Tape and Form Filling.

Started by Bud Wiser, December 06, 2012, 02:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Is it me or does anyone else think that certain policies by business and state bodies are a joke.
For example, I got a phone call this week about a small pension I receive.
Caller.   Hello, I am looking to speak with ....(me)
Me.   Yes, this is me, how can I help you?
Caller. I am calling to let you know that your pension will be stopped next week. You never sent back the form we sent you.
Me. What form?
Caller. We need you to send bsck the form that states you are alive.
Me. Well the last time I looked down at my shoes I was standing up in them and since you are talking to me will that not do.......... and on it went but the final straw was when I was told "even if you were standing in front of me I will not pay you without the form"

Yesterday. New keyboard for laptop required, eventually in a big industrial estate with half its doors closed I find the
place and I ask " I need a keyboard for a Toshiba Sattelite Pro L660, can you give me one"
Answer " Yes, no problem but you need to go back to your home or office and email me an official order"
I didnt ask what keyboard I should use to type the order.

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

gerrykeegan

My Dad (retired teacher aged 79) rang vhi looking for a form. Girl asked security questions, name..no problem
DOB...no problem, phone number....no problem, address? Dublin Road, Mullingar, ...................anymore? no that's my address, that's not correct there is more to that address, (now my dads knows whats she is looking for but cant believe that's what she is insisting on) he says that's the address, no it isn't she said and I cant proceed until you tell me, is it a county you are looking for? Yes it is, she says, he replies most school children would know what county Mullingar is in. She says you have to say it or I won't proceed! He said he wouldn't and rang back later on!
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Orior

A few years ago Bud had a problem with his DELL laptop.

Listen to Bud here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvnnnC3q7JM
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

T Fearon

At the risk of displaying a rare lack of knowledge on every day matters, but why is excessive bureaucracy referred to as "red tape?"

Bingo

We live in the age where some banks actually refuse to take your cash or lodgements on certain days. Nothing is surprising.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on December 06, 2012, 12:37:56 PM
At the risk of displaying a rare lack of knowledge on every day matters, but why is excessive bureaucracy referred to as "red tape?"

It was a name given to a type of lace used over chastity belts, in the 1600s, to make them look nice.

If it was green tape, you'd know what it was.
MWWSI 2017

Orior

Welcome back Muppet!

Where have you been son?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: T Fearon on December 06, 2012, 12:37:56 PM

Red tape was originally used to bind important documents together

muppet

Quote from: Orior on December 06, 2012, 01:12:11 PM
Welcome back Muppet!

Where have you been son?

Receiving therapy after Mayo's run to the final.

MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Thanks Gabriel. Genuinely didnt know that.

Billys Boots

Quote from: muppet on December 06, 2012, 02:22:40 PM
Welcome back Muppet!

Where have you been son?

Sorry for your troubles Elmo!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 06, 2012, 05:28:41 PM
Welcome back Muppet!

Where have you been son?

you can check out anytime you like
but you can never leave

What time does Hardy's open?
MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

Quote from: muppet on December 07, 2012, 12:03:59 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on December 06, 2012, 05:28:41 PM
Welcome back Muppet!

Where have you been son?

you can check out anytime you like
but you can never leave

What time does Hardy's open?

For you Elmo, anytime you like - am always happy to (pretend to) listen to the woes of the Mayo faithful. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

magpie seanie

A woman i work with just told me she was in the bank getting a £100 draft to send to a relation in England for a Christmas present. In the ban kthey asked her and it had to be filled out on the form - what is it for? She told them it's a bit late for them to be getting so tight on matters!

cadence

max weber had a good take on bureaucracy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureaucracy

he saw it as how society is organised, but the downside being that it is used to control us. you want something, fill out that form and take it over to this department. except it's the wrong department, you need to go to this other department instead. this is the right department, but the wrong form, and you don't qualify, you need to go to this other department and fill out another form. they don't need guns to control us, just forms and various departments.