What constitutes a good trainer/coach?

Started by Winnie Peg, July 08, 2010, 10:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blast05

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 08, 2010, 01:34:52 PM
I agree with all of that, but I'd add as well that while team weaknesses and strengths are the most important, it's also important to pick up on an individuals weaknesses and try to get them to improve individually as well as part of the team.

Indeed. I think the single biggest weakness in the average club manager and i'm sure manys a county manager is not knowing how to relate to their players and using the same approach to deal with all of them.

mayo 4 eva

1.  Has to be 100% committed to the cause.
2.  Has to be able to get inside players heads.
3.  Good man management.
4.  Know how to maximise performance out of players. This would include tatics, individual and   team improvement at the basic skills of game, fitness etc.
The Question is..... What is the Question?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: mayo 4 eva on July 09, 2010, 10:36:16 AM
1.  Has to be 100% committed to the cause.
2.  Has to be able to get inside players heads.
3.  Good man management.
4.  Know how to maximise performance out of players. This would include tatics, individual and   team improvement at the basic skills of game, fitness etc.

any one know the number for a good brain surgeon out there me thinks thats where we have been lacking in mayo
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

put-it-up

In my opininon I think a manager and a coach of a team should more often than not be two different people in a management set-up. Obviously there are a few talented men who combine both roles but generally I find a man is either a manager or a coach.

I know in my own club we had a great trainer. Lads used to love working under him but once he become the manager the following year and we struggled -  the man-management side of things let him down and people lost faith in him. He was born to coach and improve our players. Management and tactical decisions in the heat of the moment just weren't his thing.

Management is completely difference to coaching.

A good coach engages the players, interests them and makes them want to get better themselves. Organisation is vital but for me personally a good coach is one that improves things like passing, shooting and creates game scenarios in training. Any oul mug can read a book full of drills and get you to bust your arse for an hour - It doesn't necessarily mean your a better player by the end of it.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: put-it-up on July 09, 2010, 01:47:38 PM
In my opininon I think a manager and a coach of a team should more often than not be two different people in a management set-up. Obviously there are a few talented men who combine both roles but generally I find a man is either a manager or a coach.

I know in my own club we had a great trainer. Lads used to love working under him but once he become the manager the following year and we struggled -  the man-management side of things let him down and people lost faith in him. He was born to coach and improve our players. Management and tactical decisions in the heat of the moment just weren't his thing.

Management is completely difference to coaching.

A good coach engages the players, interests them and makes them want to get better themselves. Organisation is vital but for me personally a good coach is one that improves things like passing, shooting and creates game scenarios in training. Any oul mug can read a book full of drills and get you to bust your arse for an hour - It doesn't necessarily mean your a better player by the end of it.

Id agree with that PIU,The preferable situation is that you have a coach/trainer seperate from the Manager/Selectors.
A manager and his selectors should be watching the drills,while the coach goes through them,lays them out.
A Manager when he can stand back and observe at a distance and not have to get involved will then notice who is moving well etc.