Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 27, 2017, 08:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

It has taken me a long time to realise that we don't have the players. We have some, but not enough. We have a number of talented players who would have been superstars years ago but they don't work hard enough. Let's wait until we have them and do the best we can locally with what we've got. No point getting too excited

Keyser Söze

Quote from: High Fielder on August 04, 2017, 04:31:33 PM
It has taken me a long time to realise that we don't have the players. We have some, but not enough. We have a number of talented players who would have been superstars years ago but they don't work hard enough. Let's wait until we have them and do the best we can locally with what we've got. No point getting too excited

So do we just stay in Division 4? Falling further and further behind? Diminishing interest year upon year from prospective young players, supporters and sponsors?
Do we pull out of IC football competitions?

Bizarre way of looking at things.

The best 35/36 in the county at any given time deserve whatever resources are available at that particular time.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Unison

It certainly is a funny attitude. If we don't put resources in at adult level then young players will question the purpose of playing at underage level. Ridiculous.

Unison

It is all the more reason to think long term when appointing a new man to the job. It must be someone who is charged with bring through what ever young talent we have and building a team over the years.

Perhaps this new manager should asked to work closely with those who run the underage setup in the county.

High Fielder

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 04, 2017, 04:41:10 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on August 04, 2017, 04:31:33 PM

So do we just stay in Division 4? Falling further and further behind? Diminishing interest year upon year from prospective young players, supporters and sponsors?
Do we pull out of IC football competitions?

Bizarre way of looking at things.

The best 35/36 in the county at any given time deserve whatever resources are available at that particular time.
[/quote

What do you think has been happening the last few years? Good luck flogging that dead horse.

High Fielder

Quote from: Unison on August 04, 2017, 04:49:38 PM
It certainly is a funny attitude. If we don't put resources in at adult level then young players will question the purpose of playing at underage level. Ridiculous.

As opposed to putting young players into a panel that are not good enough and just blend in. Which is what we're doing now. Even more ridiculous

Keyser Söze

1) At what point do we decide that *bing* now our players are good enough to deserve being prepared properly
2) What exactly are we going to judge this good enough against?
3) If we produce some good minor or U21 players over the next few years do we refuse to allow them to join the senior panel? In case they would be cross contaminated like!
4) What players are going to commit endless hours representing YOUR county during this "resource-less" period?

Mental. Stupid. Unbecoming. Ill-informed. (Take your pick)

High Fielder

Get off your high horse. I think they're not good enough, and do you know what, results and league standing support that view point. You don't have to agree with me, and in all honesty I couldn't give two fucks whether you do or don't. But don't dare brandish me or talk down to me. Don't even try, because you wouldn't dare do it to my face. Now settle yourself down

Keyser Söze

You are talking shite. There is no sense in what you are saying and it is impossible to implement without falling off the face of intercounty football forever.

And finally,
I addressed your suggestion, not you.
I don't know anything about you, and don't want you.

High Fielder

There was no need for your tone or your condescending comments. That's a few times you've seen fit to rattle me but it ends now. I won't be spoken down to by a keyboard bully

Giovanni

There will be a limited supply of resources available for the preparation of teams over say a 10 year period. It is true that this amount is not fixed (for example if the team was successful, more resources would be available) but, in any case, the amount is limited.

High Fielder has raised the possibility of an alternative to the strategy of simply putting as much money as possible into the team in any given year.

I think this is reasonable. If, for example, you think that the current bunch of players have not delivered and are not likely to deliver (which is a reasonable way to think given the last few years) and, at the same time, you see a bunch of talented 14-18 year olds coming through, would it not be reasonable to pull back a little on the funding of the senior team and to nurture the young lads. When they start coming through, you will have assembled a war chest of resources that would allow these good young lads to compete with the bigger counties.

I don't think ideas like that should be entirely dismissed. It's not to suggest that the Senior Team doesn't need a manager or doesn't need any resources but maybe priorities could be readjusted a little for a few years.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: High Fielder on August 04, 2017, 05:39:58 PM
There was no need for your tone or your condescending comments. That's a few times you've seen fit to rattle me but it ends now. I won't be spoken down to by a keyboard bully

Oh right ye? I'll await further developments on this.

Quote from: Giovanni on August 04, 2017, 05:48:26 PM
There will be a limited supply of resources available for the preparation of teams over say a 10 year period. It is true that this amount is not fixed (for example if the team was successful, more resources would be available) but, in any case, the amount is limited.

High Fielder has raised the possibility of an alternative to the strategy of simply putting as much money as possible into the team in any given year.

I think this is reasonable. If, for example, you think that the current bunch of players have not delivered and are not likely to deliver (which is a reasonable way to think given the last few years) and, at the same time, you see a bunch of talented 14-18 year olds coming through. Would it not be reasonable to pull back a little on the funding of the senior team and to nurture the young lads. When they start coming through, you will have assembled a war chest of resources that would allow these good young lads to compete with the bigger counties.

I don't think ideas like that should be entirely dismissed. It's not to suggest that the Senior Team doesn't need a manager or doesn't need any resources but maybe priorities could be readjusted a little for a few years.

I understand what you are saying. But it's a long time since we have over extended ourselves funding our senior teams in either code.
There is no real suggestion that U21/minor/devlopment squads are being neglected in any major way. We are progressing with improving OMP and devloping our training centre.
The evidence isn't there to suggest that we are over funding senior teams relative to other areas in need of progress. Nobody has suggested going for a Micko/Davy type figure and pissing away phenomenal sums.

To actually take a decision to willfully neglect your premier team would be sporting suicide.

High Fielder

Stop forcing home points that weren't made to score points. Nobody said neglect. Just don't spend fortunes. Nobody said neglect but you keyboard warrior

BallyroanAbu

There is some mental comments going on here, give up on the Senior Team we would well and truly be buried if that happens.  I told people on here 1 year ago Creedon had to go as apart from his football the commercial disaster of his managerial stint is brutal.    The Senior Team is your selling point for a county you have to do everything possible to make them attractive to fans,  young players coming through.  I am truly terrified we are heading down the Offaly Road of having a fantastic county ground and a team not fit to grace it.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: High Fielder on August 04, 2017, 06:04:13 PM
Stop forcing home points that weren't made to score points. Nobody said neglect. Just don't spend fortunes. Nobody said neglect but you keyboard warrior

I'll make whatever points I like, however I like!

And please don't call me names from behind a computer screen. There's a name for that, but I can't remember it ::)

And btw the definition of "neglect" is "to fail to care for properly". Not putting the best possible set up in charge of your premier team is "neglect".