RTÉ secures new GAA rights package

Started by Zulu, February 19, 2008, 01:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

AZ Offaly

"Jaysus, speaking of Betty Boop, aka Marty Morrissey, he was doing 'warm up' at the UL arena before the Andy Lee fight. Getting the crowd 'going'  "Is there anybody here from Tipperary?". "Is there anyone here from Clare?" 'Isssss therrreeee anyboddddyyyy hereeeee from LLLLllllimmmmerrriickkkkk".

Holy God, it was cringeworthy. Good job I had a scatter of pints drank at that stage, or there'd have been an extra bout on the card "

Great one.

We should start a campaign, that this yo-yo not be allowed to use players nicknames going forward. Ah sure  while we are it, we should have him banished to Bejing to do a six-month pre olympic countdown.

AZOffaly

On a similar vein, I noticed in the highlights of Kerry v Tyrone on Sunday Sport (My first viewing of Sunday Sport this year) it took Ger Canning 3 minute 25 seconds to utter his first 'A huuuuge one in' of the year, to my ears at least.

I got a shiver down my back. I hate that phrase of his.

Donagh

Apparently the BBC will have the option to show any Ulster Championship match live if it's already being shown by RTE.

Jinxy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 19, 2008, 04:14:46 PM
[groan]So Brush Shiels has competition for the next International Rules match...[/groan]

No way. Brush has that job for life.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ziggysego

Quote from: Donagh on February 19, 2008, 05:27:36 PM
Apparently the BBC will have the option to show any Ulster Championship match live if it's already being shown by RTE.

According to Stephen Watson on the BBC tonight, the BBC could show them.

Could??
Testing Accessibility

deiseach

Be grateful for small mercies, people. No evidence that Tracy Piggott will be conducting the post-match interviews.

Loughers

Apparently the GAA took a loss of 20 million to show the majority of games on RTE.  Setanta were offering huge money.

winsamsoon

Donagh do you think this BBC turn around had anything to do with the pressure applied by the lads on the board towards the decision they made to pull the plug on the gaa coverage. I just think it is a bit funny that they decided to pull the plug on something two months back and now they are maybe going to show the coverage. I think we got to them lads.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

el_cuervo_fc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7253137.stm

BBC NI set for bumper GAA summer 

BBC NI, RTE and the GAA have agreed a new deal that will mean significantly more GAA matches being broadcast live on BBC NI over the next three years.
Under the new agreement, BBC NI will be able to show live any game in the Ulster Football Championship which RTE is also broadcasting.

The agreement, which followed months of negotiations, was announced on Tuesday.

"We're delighted to have secured this for our viewers," said BBC Sport NI Executive Producer Shane Glynn.

"It's fantastic news for GAA fans in Ulster. We'll be sitting down with RTE and the GAA over the coming weeks to work out the specifics of the agreement.

"The ambition and aim is that this agreement will allow BBC Northern Ireland to broadcast live all eight games in the Ulster Championship.

Based on what we all know of the skills of the BBC's team of journalists and reporters, I'm confident the standard of coverage of gaelic games on TV in Ulster this year, will be very high

Ulster Council president Tom Daly

"We're delighted to have reached the agreement with the support of the partners in RTE Sport, the Ulster Council of the GAA and the GAA centrally at Croke Park."

Ulster Council president Tom Daly also welcomed the announcement.

"I want to acknowledge the GAA at national level, especially Nickey Brennan, who has listened to our views in a very clear way," said the Ulster official.

"Based on what we all know of the skills of the BBC's team of journalists and reporters, I'm confident that the standard of coverage of gaelic games on TV in Ulster this year, will be very high."

BBC Northern Ireland is still in discussions with the GAA and other broadcasters about showing live games involving Ulster counties in the All-Ireland stages of the championship.

GAA president Brennan was not prepared to disclose how much the new deal was worth to the GAA.

606: DEBATE
Give your thoughts on Gaelic Games

However, Brennan made clear his annoyance at recent suggestions in some quarters that the association was "selling its soul", adding that Croke Park could have made "a lot more money" from other proposed offers.

"This was never about money. If we were after money, we would not have agreed to the deal that we have agreed to."

Brennan also revealed that the GAA is about to unveil a rebranding of the association.

This will include a new association logo and Brennan said that Croke Park aims to make the GAA the "dominant brand" in Irish society.

The rebranding proposals were discussed at Saturday's Central Council meeting and the issue is certain to be debated at Congress.

The GAA sought opinions on the rebranding issue in a recent online survey.

donelli

Quote from: Loughers on February 20, 2008, 10:02:11 AM
Apparently the GAA took a loss of 20 million to show the majority of games on RTE.  Setanta were offering huge money.

Probably avoided a lot of hassle as a result. can you imagine the fuss been made nationally to view teh gaa through pay-per-view.
Also the gpa would have their eyes on the extra dosh involved.

probably works out a bit healthier for everyone. although maybe the admission prices may not have increased much if the extra tv money was accepted  ???

ziggysego

Quote from: winsamsoon on February 20, 2008, 10:08:06 AM
Donagh do you think this BBC turn around had anything to do with the pressure applied by the lads on the board towards the decision they made to pull the plug on the gaa coverage. I just think it is a bit funny that they decided to pull the plug on something two months back and now they are maybe going to show the coverage. I think we got to them lads.

I've no doubt that's the reason and I'm sure they are keeping a close eye on this thread.

One thing I can't understand, why are they only going to show games RTÉ are showing. Why not all the Ulster games?
Testing Accessibility

sheskin

??? Marty and Ger are bad but surely the absolue bottom of the barrel is Jim Carney.

dubinhell

So they don't have to spend on cameras and outside broadcats equipement? They can just buy the feed straight from RTE.

Quote from: ziggysego on February 20, 2008, 02:07:04 PM
One thing I can't understand, why are they only going to show games RTÉ are showing. Why not all the Ulster games?

heganboy

does this mean that everyone who emailed the beeb to complain bout the lack of coverage will email them to say well done, now up the club coverage?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

corn02

Two pages and not one bit of credit given to the GAA. Ok there may have been factors at play but to turn down 20 million still deserves credit. For an association criticised at every oppurtunity, I say maith thu.