Amended Proposal B

Started by onefineday, November 24, 2021, 12:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefineday

Folks, it's that time of year again - people with too much time on their hands sit down and draw up their championship proposals!

For what it's worth, here's mine.  Like many on here I guess I followed the Proposal B debate pretty closely and with much interest.  I could probably have lived with it, but it had some pretty major flaws in my opinion, none more so than the relegation of provincial championships to pre-season status.  For that reason my proposal provides a strong incentive to take provincials seriously, but ultimately, allows for the primacy of the league competition.
So have a look and let me know your thoughts - but go easy, please!!

Objective
Address pressing concern about loss of prestige in provincial championships and ensure a healthy level of interest from supporters, players and management for provincial championships.
Remove objections around the 6th place D1 team not progressing.
Ensure fewer potential dead rubber games in latter rounds of league.
Reward Tailteann Cup winners

Proposal

Move forward with Proposal B, largely as presented.

Add a 'play-in' round which will allow for a link between provincial championships and the new All Ireland championship.

Design of All Ireland Championship
•   Top 3 teams in Div 1 qualify for All Ireland quarter finals.
•   Top team in Div 2 qualifies for All Ireland quarter final.
•   Teams 4, 5 and 6 in Div 1 qualify for All Ireland quarter final play-off.
•   Team 2 in Div 2 qualifies for All Ireland quarter final play-off.
•   Tailteann Cup winners previous year qualifies for All Ireland quarter final play-off.
•      Div 3 and Div 4 winners qualify for 'play-in' game.
•   Highest ranked/furthest progressing team in each province who does not qualify via league placing qualifies for 'play-in' round.

Play-In round

Game A - Div 3 winners v Div 4 winner
Game B - Ulster championship qualifier v Munster championship qualifier
Game C - Leinster championship qualifier v Connacht championship qualifier.

Quarter Final Play-offs

Game 1: Game A winner v 2nd placed Div 2
Game 2: Game B winner v 5th Div 1
Game 3: Game C winner v 6th Div 1
Game 4: Tailteann Cup winners previous year v 4th Div 1

Quarter Finals

QF1: 1st Div 1 v Game 1 winner
QF2: 2nd Div 1 v Game 3 winner
QF3: 3rd Div 1 v Game 2 winner
QF4: Game 4 winner v Div 2 winner

Semi Finals
1 v 4
2 v 3

To my mind my design gives the following benefits:

•   Ensures interest in provincial championships as there is a genuine incentive available for the furthest progressing team.
•   Addresses the issue whereby 6th placed team in Div 1 is eliminated from the championship.
•   Every team has 2 potential routes to qualify – there's no real excuse for those who don't make it.
•   The furthest progressing team in each provincial championship who does not qualify via the league cannot be known until the league has concluded.
•   The primacy of the league vs the provincial structure is retained as a top 3 Div 1 or 1st Div 2 finish guarantees an All-Ireland quarter final, whereas even a provincial title will only guarantee a 'play-in' game, 2 rounds before an All-Ireland quarter final.
•      Provides a strong incentive to win Tailteann Cup.

I know it's long, but hopefully a few of ye will have the time to read it, hope it's understandable and thoughts welcome.

armaghniac

I think the highest placed provincial team not otherwise qualifying is a good plan.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

SCFC

It's interesting. I'd like to see it set out with a calendar/dates. Any proposal that doesn't allow a decent club season is of no interest to me.

rrhf

I think it is excellent.  Fair play.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Just simplify it to
4 Provincial Champions
Last years Tailteann winner
11 highest placed NFL teams.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

onefineday

Quote from: seafoid on November 24, 2021, 11:25:35 AM
Is that you, Jim ?
Rumbled! Nah, not quite, i wouldn't know my blanket from a duvet!
I do recall being impressed by a jim proposal a few years ago, did i unconsciously steal his?

onefineday

Quote from: SCFC on November 24, 2021, 09:52:22 AM
It's interesting. I'd like to see it set out with a calendar/dates. Any proposal that doesn't allow a decent club season is of no interest to me.
Impact on club games should be limited, it only has one round of games in addition to what was in proposal b, ie the 'play-in' round. If needs be, teams could play them midweek, maybe a thurs/fri before a hurling weekend or whatever. Essentially, given the prize, teams should be willing to accommodate whatever is needed to ensure it fits within the condensed calendar.

onefineday

Quote from: Rossfan on November 24, 2021, 11:31:38 AM
Just simplify it to
4 Provincial Champions
Last years Tailteann winner
11 highest placed NFL teams.
I agree it looks complicated, so thanks to anyine who eben resd it! I suppose the issue with your proposal is that the provincial champions are likely to be in the top 11 league teams, plus i kind of like the incentive for lesser teams to be rewarded for progessing, i acknowledge it's easier to do that in some provinces than others and a munster semi defeat might well get you a spot in the play-in round, but i suppose it's the weaknesses of my proposal that I'm interested in hearing about.

Rossfan

I meant the 11 highest League teams excluding the Provincial Champions.
To make Divs 1 and 2 more competitive you could have
Top 3 D1 straight to QFs.
Any Provincial Champions outside the top 3, last year's TC winners and go down the NFL till you get 10 teams to play a Prelim Round.
5 winners join the top 3 in Qtr Finals.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM