50 years of the all Ireland club championships

Started by seafoid, November 17, 2021, 08:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 24, 2022, 11:33:05 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 24, 2022, 11:10:05 AM
Is Kilcoo's AI win of lesser value to their players?

Of course not but in my opinion it is a recognition of the place of the club championship within the calendar to have it played on St Patrick's Day....in fact if marketed right it could be even bigger. There was 17k at the final this year. When we played our first final there was double that. It was an occasion and Croke Park was bouncing. The streets were lined with people going to the game and also people out enjoying themselves for St Patrick's Day. That added significantly to the experience. Unless you've been part of it it's very hard to explain the buzz that comes off that.

Kilcoo a win was not if lesser value but I would suggest that the experience for players and all involved may have been better on a St Patrick's Day final

I think that the GAA tore the arse out of the calendar reset. August free of hurling is insane.
SPD made the club finals into something else. It's a significant day in the year anyway and linking it up with club excellence worked really well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Problem was the rest of fixture World was seen to be broken.
Remember the CPA and "fix the fixtures"?
Any "rationalisation" in any field of life will have a sacrifice of something for the greater good :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 24, 2022, 11:33:05 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 24, 2022, 11:10:05 AM
Is Kilcoo's AI win of lesser value to their players?

Of course not but in my opinion it is a recognition of the place of the club championship within the calendar to have it played on St Patrick's Day....in fact if marketed right it could be even bigger. There was 17k at the final this year. When we played our first final there was double that. It was an occasion and Croke Park was bouncing. The streets were lined with people going to the game and also people out enjoying themselves for St Patrick's Day. That added significantly to the experience. Unless you've been part of it it's very hard to explain the buzz that comes off that.

Kilcoo a win was not if lesser value but I would suggest that the experience for players and all involved may have been better on a St Patrick's Day final

It was a 'great' occasion in 1997 - even though we lost as you say the experience beforehand was something else.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.