Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

You're not grasping this are you? I'm saying the intercounty system is fundamentally flawed. I'm saying that all issues associated with that will never be solved as long as intercounty is retained. Therefore, until Leitrim by some miracle get 15 decent players, they will always be what they are. As will many other counties. It's a numbers game in more ways than one and it's not fixable. Intercounty is the very embodiment of the GAA, albeit it is fundamentally flawed

High Fielder

Quote from: smort on November 11, 2021, 10:36:49 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on November 11, 2021, 10:32:02 AM
Not at all. I said at the outset that the Intercounty system is fundamentally flawed. That it doesn't allow players such as McNamee the opportunity to win anything noteworthy in my opinion underlines that. The GAA will never be equal as long as the Intercounty system is retained. Of course I wouldn't expect people from Dublin to agree that the GAA is inequitable. I probably wouldn't be too bothered either if we won Leinster titles and All Irelands for fun.

Offaly have won sam 3 times

Granted. And hopefully they win 3 more.

trueblue1234

Quote from: High Fielder on November 11, 2021, 10:42:06 AM
You're not grasping this are you? I'm saying the intercounty system is fundamentally flawed. I'm saying that all issues associated with that will never be solved as long as intercounty is retained. Therefore, until Leitrim by some miracle get 15 decent players, they will always be what they are. As will many other counties. It's a numbers game in more ways than one and it's not fixable. Intercounty is the very embodiment of the GAA, albeit it is fundamentally flawed

I am grasping it. I just don't agree with you on the solution. Allowing county players to move county is not going to allow Leitrim to win an AI. It is just as straight forward as that. Letting leitrim's best player leave to join Dublin is not going to help Leitrim win an AI. You haven't mentioned a solution that will allow Leitrim to win an AI,
What you want is for individuals to be able to move freely depending on their ability. But the only benefit for this is to the top most elite players who could all group together in Dublin or Tyrone or Kerry. You'll never get me agreeing that that would be in the interest of the gaa as a whole.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Armagh18

I don't think GAA is the sport for you so...

High Fielder

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 11, 2021, 11:08:52 AM
I don't think GAA is the sport for you so...

Tbh I'm no longer interested in intercounty. Find it all a bit pointless. Then again I'm from Laois, so that might explain why.

Ed Ricketts

High Fielder, the GAA is a community organisation first and foremost. And as a community organisation it functions incredibly well.

The sporting element is important, but does not, should not, and was never meant to, take precedence. Everything else makes sense once you appreciate this.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

rosnarun

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 11, 2021, 10:59:31 AM

I am grasping it. I just don't agree with you on the solution. Allowing county players to move county is not going to allow Leitrim to win an AI. It is just as straight forward as that. Letting leitrim's best player leave to join Dublin is not going to help Leitrim win an AI. You haven't mentioned a solution that will allow Leitrim to win an AI,
What you want is for individuals to be able to move freely depending on their ability. But the only benefit for this is to the top most elite players who could all group together in Dublin or Tyrone or Kerry. You'll never get me agreeing that that would be in the interest of the gaa as a whole.

Leitrim have a similar chance of winning the All Ireland as all bar the top ten premiership Clubs and more than some of them even,
Sport titles are great to win because they are difficult to get . there us no honor in getting  a lollipop for competing  or changing the rules to make it diffiult for the best team to win. Im Glad Dublins reign was finished by been beaten by a netter team on the day rather than bu some bullshit rule changes designed to hold them back
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

Dublin were in poor shape this year.
The fear is they'll get back to their all conquering selves in 22.
Last time I looked the GAA was an organisation that ran the Sports of male gaelic football and hurling.
Maybe Rounders and handball in there somewhere too.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

Dublin Hurling county final seriously good game, some finish. Extra time now.

StPatsAbu

Quote from: Rudi on November 13, 2021, 07:26:50 PM

Waaaay too many steps taken for the equalizing goal!

Rudi

Quote from: StPatsAbu on November 13, 2021, 07:29:16 PM
Quote from: Rudi on November 13, 2021, 07:26:50 PM

Waaaay too many steps taken for the equalizing goal!

Yeah, but as a neutral not complaining enjoyable game.

Rossfan

Rossfan

Cyril Farrell fan

Is there any chance that Dublin put Dessie Farrell in charge so they'd stop winning All Irelands and people would forget about the funding question?