Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: High Fielder on November 10, 2021, 04:27:11 PM
They don't really have a choice. And let's be honest, too many good players go whole careers winning nothing. It doesn't make sense when players like Niall McNamee for instance had very little opportunity to play in big games. Surely one of the best forwards in recent living memory. The GAA basically has nothing to offer talent like that because his county was going through a lean period

But the gaa isn't about the elite players. (Or at least it shouldn't be). They should be no more valued than any other club player. He has numerous avenues to advance. Through the club or the county. Giving good players the opportunity to win something by joining other good players in a manufactured team would be down my list of priorities tbh.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

High Fielder

You're right. Leave them where they are. Let them play in the Tin Pot Cup and basically f**k them. Let's focus on maintaining the status quo without being overly facetious towards those less fortunate.

trueblue1234

I'm glad you came to your senses.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 10, 2021, 05:00:50 PM
They don't really have a choice. And let's be honest, too many good players go whole careers winning nothing. It doesn't make sense when players like Niall McNamee for instance had very little opportunity to play in big games. Surely one of the best forwards in recent living memory. The GAA basically has nothing to offer talent like that because his county was going through a lean period

But the gaa isn't about the elite players. (Or at least it shouldn't be). They should be no more valued than any other club player. He has numerous avenues to advance. Through the club or the county. Giving good players the opportunity to win something by joining other good players in a manufactured team would be down my list of priorities tbh.

The advantage soccer has is players find their level and get an opportunity to move up the rungs and test themselves. It's not a negative thing. And don't kid yourself GAA players wouldn't do the exact same given a chance.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 10, 2021, 09:47:54 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 10, 2021, 05:00:50 PM

The advantage soccer has is players find their level and get an opportunity to move up the rungs and test themselves. It's not a negative thing. And don't kid yourself GAA players wouldn't do the exact same given a chance.

That's not an advantage. I'd argue the fact that county stars are playing alongside club players is a great thing and not a negative. Your last line is your opinion.

High Fielder

So a player, potentially, can be the best player in Ireland, but never has a chance to reach the pinnacle. I'm struggling to think of many (any) sport like that, and it might explain why smaller counties struggle to retain players year on year. Of course that's not really a concern. Let's face it, the GAA has no plan for smaller counties other than to make them more disadvantaged.

trueblue1234

Quote from: High Fielder on November 11, 2021, 07:02:00 AM
So a player, potentially, can be the best player in Ireland, but never has a chance to reach the pinnacle. I'm struggling to think of many (any) sport like that, and it might explain why smaller counties struggle to retain players year on year. Of course that's not really a concern. Let's face it, the GAA has no plan for smaller counties other than to make them more disadvantaged.
You keep looking at the fact the best player in Ireland can be playing week in and week out with Joe Soap as a bad thing.
Letting the good players move to bigger counties will certainly help smaller counties retain players. 👍👍

Keyser soze

Quote from: seafoid on July 06, 2021, 07:03:12 PM
If you had 7 amalgamations as follows

Cavan Monaghan Fermanagh
Ros  sligo Leitrim
Laois Carlow Kilkenny
Offaly Westmeath Longford
Wex Wicklow
Tipp Waterf Clare
Armagh Louth

And divided Dublin into 5 teams you could have 24 teams for the football , I believe.
Population would be minimum 195k for each . You would have to make allowance for hurling and Northern Prods but it would be feasible.
It would represent a huge improvement on the status quo.

That'd be a serious hash of a geansai 

High Fielder

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 11, 2021, 09:28:58 AM
You keep looking at the fact the best player in Ireland can be playing week in and week out with Joe Soap as a bad thing.
Letting the good players move to bigger counties will certainly help smaller counties retain players. 👍👍

No sport shout restrict an individual from winning the highest honours in that game.

trueblue1234

Quote from: High Fielder on November 11, 2021, 10:04:38 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 11, 2021, 09:28:58 AM

No sport shout restrict an individual from winning the highest honours in that game.

I agree. Good job the GAA doesn't do that.

High Fielder

Of course it does. If it didn't, Niall McNamee would have more All Irelands than Bernard Brogan.

trueblue1234

I think you are a bit confused by a team sport and an individual sport. Your all over the shop.

High Fielder

Not at all. I said at the outset that the Intercounty system is fundamentally flawed. That it doesn't allow players such as McNamee the opportunity to win anything noteworthy in my opinion underlines that. The GAA will never be equal as long as the Intercounty system is retained. Of course I wouldn't expect people from Dublin to agree that the GAA is inequitable. I probably wouldn't be too bothered either if we won Leinster titles and All Irelands for fun.

trueblue1234

Quote from: High Fielder on November 11, 2021, 10:32:02 AM
Not at all. I said at the outset that the Intercounty system is fundamentally flawed. That it doesn't allow players such as McNamee the opportunity to win anything noteworthy in my opinion underlines that. The GAA will never be equal as long as the Intercounty system is retained. Of course I wouldn't expect people from Dublin to agree that the GAA is inequitable. I probably wouldn't be too bothered either if we won Leinster titles and All Irelands for fun.

There is issues with the Gaa system no doubt. But giving freedom of movement to players elite or otherwise is not fixing it. And not only that, it would be completely detrimental to the structures that allowed the GAA to become the biggest sporting organisation in the country. Allowing elite players to move to "super" clubs or counties is not progress in my eye.

smort

Quote from: High Fielder on November 11, 2021, 10:32:02 AM

Offaly have won sam 3 times