The Big Bailout of the Eurozone (Another crisis coming? - Seriously)

Started by muppet, September 28, 2008, 11:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

nuclear fusion already cracked lads, cold fusion your thinking of ;)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on November 30, 2010, 05:21:42 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on November 30, 2010, 05:11:02 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 30, 2010, 03:08:26 PM
That's hardly surprising, seafoid. I'm surprised that eighteen percent of people earn more than €100,000, because only they would have opposed this proposal. Everyone is in favour of taxing everybody but themselves.
i think it would only apply to people with net assets greater than 1m and with an income of greater than 100k.
How would the net asset valuations be determined?

Yes -  I missed the €1M net worth bit in skimming the post.

When it gets implemented the net worth bit will also be missing. That is the way it works. These groups often work on behalf of the Government rather than steering them as they often pretend.

Instead of wishing higher taxes on others (who will wish them back on you) we should be refusing to pay taxes to fund banks who lent recklessly whether they be German, French or Irish.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on November 30, 2010, 09:56:01 PM
That's hardly surprising, seafoid. I'm surprised that eighteen percent of people earn more than €100,000, because only they would have opposed this proposal. Everyone is in favour of taxing everybody but themselves.
i think it would only apply to people with net assets greater than 1m and with an income of greater than 100k.

When it gets implemented the net worth bit will also be missing. That is the way it works. These groups often work on behalf of the Government rather than steering them as they often pretend.

Instead of wishing higher taxes on others (who will wish them back on you) we should be refusing to pay taxes to fund banks who lent recklessly whether they be German, French or Irish.

The budget has to be defeated. Do FG have the cojones? Otherwise they deserve to go to the kn**ker's yard with FF.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

muppet

Spanish 10 year bonds:

If this graph keeps rising.........kaboom to the euro as we know it.
MWWSI 2017

Bogball XV

Quote from: Rossfan on November 30, 2010, 05:41:18 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on November 30, 2010, 05:08:30 PM
you have to look at this in terms of levies and extra prsi that have been heaped on higher earners over the past 18 months too.  .

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't PRSI stop being paid on income over €70k pr annum.??
Obviously madcap Laissez faire ( s???) capitalism has now reached the end of its latest run ( c.1980 to 2007) (Leaving Ireland in a mess just as it did in the 1840s) so it's time the "Brains"(sic) a.k.a Economists and Politicians came up with another method of getting Anglo-Euro-American Society back on the rails again.
Ireland meanwhile has to start thinking local and small and see how we get on while paying back the Reparations imposed by the EU/IMF as punishment for 13 years of McCreevyism and Bertiebuilderism.
For employees prsi stops at 75k, however they have a new health levy of 5% on all income.  They also have to pay income levies on all income before most reliefs at 4% between 75 and 175k and at 6% thereafter.

For self-employed they have to pay the same income levies as above and there is no limit on prsi.

It's not correct therefore to say that higher income earners haven't been hit reasonably hard - whilst their tax bill hasn't increased hugely (yet), the extra amounts payable in levies and prsi (including health levy) are pretty significant.

Bogball XV

Quote from: seafoid on November 30, 2010, 09:59:13 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 30, 2010, 09:56:01 PM

The budget has to be defeated. Do FG have the cojones? Otherwise they deserve to go to the kn**ker's yard with FF.
I don't know whether that's even the right course anymore, i don't know if it really matters - europe may think it's really important, but it's just a piece of legislation that can be easily amended next month anyway, so maybe it'd be better to let it pass and fool them into thinking we're swallowing their solution.

Expat

W hat the Irish people pathic is  your apathy. Can anyone give me one good reason why there wasn't    a protest in Ireland  with over a million people in the last year, do ye really stand for anything?

muppet

Quote from: Expat on November 30, 2010, 10:44:15 PM
W hat the Irish people pathic is  your apathy. Can anyone give me one good reason why there wasn't    a protest in Ireland  with over a million people in the last year, do ye really stand for anything?

I don't accept that.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: lawnseed on November 30, 2010, 08:48:42 PM
nuclear fusion already cracked lads, cold fusion your thinking of ;)

Specifically, I'm talking about commerically viable controlled thermonuclear fusion for civil purposes  :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Orangemac

I work in the South so obviously I have an interest in this.

The likes of Lenihan, Coughlan, Cowen with their poliitical patronage think anyone earning over 100k facing a 2% hike is the same somone earning 30k facing a 2% hike.

Share the pain my arse.

The PRSI ceiling needs to be abolished, an extra 3% on the top tax rate and the Croke Park deal needs to be revisited for anyone earnin over 100k in the public sector.

"But but these people will leave the country...." Let them go to F***.

I'd like to see the consultants earning 250k getting that somewhere else.

The whole charade is summed by ESB workers gettng a bonus payment of 3k each recently for the profits made in the last year while the pension deficit is over 1bn.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Orangemac on November 30, 2010, 11:41:17 PM

I'd like to see the consultants earning 250k getting that somewhere else.

and see if they are allowed to spend up to 20% of their time on private work too, or get paid double for VHI patients seen on public visits......

Lar Naparka

Quote from: muppet on November 30, 2010, 10:19:36 PM
Spanish 10 year bonds:

If this graph keeps rising.........kaboom to the euro as we know it.
Yes, it will keep rising and so will the corresponding graphs for Portugal and Italy.
All three countries have come under the spotlight in recent days and there is no reason to suppose that they don't have greedy bankers who gambled recklessly and lost heavily when the recession struck.
Signs are that the Eurozone is in deep, deep trouble.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Bogball XV

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 01, 2010, 01:04:19 AMYes, it will keep rising and so will the corresponding graphs for Portugal and Italy.
All three countries have come under the spotlight in recent days and there is no reason to suppose that they don't have greedy bankers who gambled recklessly and lost heavily when the recession struck.
Signs are that the Eurozone is in deep, deep trouble.
i think their problem is more straightforward, they've been living on borrowed money for many, many years now (see the US and UK for example) and this time, when Paul comes knocking, they can't see Peter anywhere.

It looks like it's going to have to be joint eurozone borrowing or no eurozone.

Zapatista

I think it's great. Germany, France etc will have to face our and their problems and not have us bail them out.