The Big Bailout of the Eurozone (Another crisis coming? - Seriously)

Started by muppet, September 28, 2008, 11:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Editor of the FT on question time just stated that Ireland has/had the highest number of helicopters per capita of any nation in the world

That stat says alot
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

thejuice

I just hope that people do wake up and not vote for FF again. My Dad is a Fianna Failer his whole life and swears Charlie Haughey was a great man. I asked him the other day what now?, and he swears that only the people who got us into the mess can get us out of it. I don't like to swear at my own father but I was close to it. God I hope people finally f**king wake up.

Looking at the BBC news they interviewed people outside a comedy club. While they were giving it the old, sure you can only laugh at it take on things, they still don't seem have fully realised how fucked up things are. I often feel its that attitude that lets people f**k us over repeatedly cos we'll keep on laughing to our f**king graves.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Zapatista

Quote from: thejuice on November 18, 2010, 11:00:42 PM
I just hope that people do wake up and not vote for FF again. My Dad is a Fianna Failer his whole life and swears Charlie Haughey was a great man. I asked him the other day what now?, and he swears that only the people who got us into the mess can get us out of it. I don't like to swear at my own father but I was close to it. God I hope people finally f**king wake up.

Looking at the BBC news they interviewed people outside a comedy club. While they were giving it the old, sure you can only laugh at it take on things, they still don't seem have fully realised how fucked up things are. I often feel its that attitude that lets people f**k us over repeatedly cos we'll keep on laughing to our f**king graves.

They can't f**king get us out of it. They have tried and failed so badly they have called in the IMF. That is failure. They have failed. It's end game. There are no more opportunities to get ourselves out or into anything. We are at the whim of a crowd of cowboys who for a change aren't FF and aren't Irish. They are our rulers. The King is dead long Live the King.

Main Street

How long will we have to wait before the penny drops that the new multi billion loans simply disappear into a money heaven and the Gov (FF or FG) program won't work?

Zapatista

Quote from: Main Street on November 18, 2010, 11:35:39 PM
How long will we have to wait before the penny drops that the new multi billion loans simply disappear into a money heaven and the Gov (FF or FG) program won't work?

What program? Any program will be an IMF program.

Main Street

How long will we have to wait before the penny drops that the new multi billion loans simply disappear into a money heaven and the FF/FG/IMF program won't work?

Main Street

Regardless, it is the Gov who adopt and execute the IMF inspired programs so that the  state of the country´s economy passes the IMF reviews  and is fit for the next loan installment. The next loan installment is the dangled carrot which the country does not actually get to eat.
How long before the people realise this not going to work?

Evil Genius

Quote from: thejuice on November 18, 2010, 11:00:42 PM
I just hope that people do wake up and not vote for FF again. My Dad is a Fianna Failer his whole life and swears Charlie Haughey was a great man.

And if you want to find the deepest roots of the present crisis, it is not the IMF, or Anglo, or Lehman Brothers, or US Sub-Priime Loans or anything else, it is to be found squarely in the attitude that voted in Charles J Haughey, and kept voting him in, even as he was buying islands off the coast and €300 silk shirts etc, on a Taoiseach's salary.

Some of you who lived in GB at the time might remember an advert for the Leeds Building Society, featuring actor George Cole in his "Arthur Daley" role, promoting their "Liquid Gold Account".

Despite the Account's terms being nothing special,, punters in their droves invested millions of pounds, making the campaign one of the most successful in TV advertising history.

And when the Agency followed up with investors to see exactly why it had struck such a chord, it emerged that whilst none would ever buy anything direct from Daley himself, if he thought something "a good thing", then they wanted a bit of it, too.

As such, Arthur Daley's "Dodgy Geezer" was just the Cockney wide-boy equivalent of CJH's "Cute Hoor". And so in the Irish Republic, people willingly turned a blind eye to the fact that Haughey was enriching himself (and his cronies) when given access to the nation's Treasury, on the basis that he was entitled to a "commission" for bamboozling all those fools in the EU, the International Banks, America, Britain and God-knows-where-else, when building up the Irish economy at those suckers' expense.

Worse still, when CJH finally ended up in that "Great Tax Haven in the Sky", Irish voters periodically went on to elect a succession of mini-Charlies, most notably Bertie Ahern, who was every bit as blatant, though with less of the polish. And now , finally, they have turned to those buffons, the two Brians, who possess all of the "hoordom" of a Haughey, but none of the"cuteness", as is now being exposed for all to see.

But here's the thing. When Charlie and his crew were robbing others blind "for the sake of Ireland" (and their own private purposes), did it never occur to anyone that they might not stop there? That when there was no more left to steal from outsiders, these fundamentally dishonest people would not then turn on their own and steal from them?

P.S. Just found one of those adverts on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3G7skuWBiE
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on November 19, 2010, 12:03:44 AM
Regardless, it is the Gov who adopt and execute the IMF inspired programs so that the  state of the country´s economy passes the IMF reviews  and is fit for the next loan installment. The next loan installment is the dangled carrot which the country does not actually get to eat.

Gurdgiev pointed out something tonight:

€100 Billion at 5% would mean an extra €5 Billion off the budget needed just to pay the interest never mind pay them back.

Me head is wrecked. How could that work?

MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Quote from: Zapatista on November 19, 2010, 12:11:02 AM
Two fortnights  ;)
People think things suck now ;D

If the Irish State had chosen not to transform bond debt into sovereign debt, it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to the IMF. Maybe the IMF will give the Minister of Finance a pat on the back for being such a sport,  but in reality they are saying what a bunch of utter gobsh'ites to agree to that mountain of bond debt.
The IMF also deal with saner Government who let the banks go bust, but save the deposits and see whats left for the bondholders - paid over a period of time.
There is no escape from an IMF repayment. What was once a bank loan based on an inflated price for a bit of land,
now becomes a sovereign debt owed to the fxckin IMF.
The hole is only really being dug now.
With each installment, the hole gets bigger.

Main Street

Quote from: muppet on November 19, 2010, 12:34:32 AM
Quote from: Main Street on November 19, 2010, 12:03:44 AM

Gurdgiev pointed out something tonight:

€100 Billion at 5% would mean an extra €5 Billion off the budget needed just to pay the interest never mind pay them back.

Me head is wrecked. How could that work?

As I said, it can't work. Things just get worse.
I missed Gurdgiev tonight.  My wife thinks he has such a nice voice.

Turlough O Carolan

Fianna Fail will be back - probably after a stint of FG and Labour - because at the end of the day the people are Fianna Fail. We have been a one party state for so long and when FF mess up they still get elected, forgiven, with the usual comments "sure if the other crowd got in they'd be just as bad." The people are FF and the people are idiots. It was the farmers with land who were out with big brown signs pointing down bohareens only cows had ever been down before, proclaiming: "Development Land". Then you had every Tom, Dick and Harry who was now suddenly a building developer, bogman Donald Trumps, throwing up ugly housing everywhere, with their American names: Crystal Hollow and all that shite. And the farmers who sold the land - their own fathers had broke their backs on - were buying property in Florida and New York and Portugal, enjoying the status of having an "investment property". And because they were stupid, they overpaid there, just as the wannabe developers overpaid them. You had county councils getting money for every useless house that was built and so planning permission was granted without any thought of the consequences. You had local chambers of commerce, local newspapers, local politicians, priests and other lobby groups campaigning for soulless hotels to be built in some of the most natural scenic wonders in the world and if you dared try and stop it, you'd have been shot. There was uproar in Roscommon when Taisce stopped a big ugly hotel being built near the shores of Lough Key after Roscommon County Council granted permission. Thank God. That Canadian Company - Newfound Consortium went bankrupt recently - and we'd have been left with the whole place destroyed and a big ugly heap of concrete shite for future generations to view. Unfortunately this country is full of cowboys and they don't care what they destroy - whether it be a prehistoric monument or our children's future. However our cowboys are the Blazing Saddles type compared to the cowboys out in Europe and when they rode into town there was only one winner. Their stupidity was laid bare for all the world to see. They actually succeeded in doing what the likes of the racist Punch Magazine was never able to do: makes fools of Paddy on the world stage.

Main Street

Greed blinds a sane person, ambition just makes them smell nasty.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

stephenite

Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on November 19, 2010, 12:42:13 AM
Fianna Fail will be back - probably after a stint of FG and Labour - because at the end of the day the people are Fianna Fail. We have been a one party state for so long and when FF mess up they still get elected, forgiven, with the usual comments "sure if the other crowd got in they'd be just as bad." The people are FF and the people are idiots. It was the farmers with land who were out with big brown signs pointing down bohareens only cows had ever been down before, proclaiming: "Development Land". Then you had every Tom, Dick and Harry who was now suddenly a building developer, bogman Donald Trumps, throwing up ugly housing everywhere, with their American names: Crystal Hollow and all that shite. And the farmers who sold the land - their own fathers had broke their backs on - were buying property in Florida and New York and Portugal, enjoying the status of having an "investment property". And because they were stupid, they overpaid there, just as the wannabe developers overpaid them. You had county councils getting money for every useless house that was built and so planning permission was granted without any thought of the consequences. You had local chambers of commerce, local newspapers, local politicians, priests and other lobby groups campaigning for soulless hotels to be built in some of the most natural scenic wonders in the world and if you dared try and stop it, you'd have been shot. There was uproar in Roscommon when Taisce stopped a big ugly hotel being built near the shores of Lough Key after Roscommon County Council granted permission. Thank God. That Canadian Company - Newfound Consortium went bankrupt recently - and we'd have been left with the whole place destroyed and a big ugly heap of concrete shite for future generations to view. Unfortunately this country is full of cowboys and they don't care what they destroy - whether it be a prehistoric monument or our children's future. However our cowboys are the Blazing Saddles type compared to the cowboys out in Europe and when they rode into town there was only one winner. Their stupidity was laid bare for all the world to see. They actually succeeded in doing what the likes of the racist Punch Magazine was never able to do: makes fools of Paddy on the world stage.

Turlough, that is a fantastic post.