The Big Bailout of the Eurozone (Another crisis coming? - Seriously)

Started by muppet, September 28, 2008, 11:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: gerrykeegan on November 11, 2010, 12:57:40 PM
Its not even that much, a fiver a day from everyone over the next 10 years and the 17k is paid off with a bit to spare to add another lane to the m50
exactly, and look at the health benefits of forgoing that pint ;)

gerrykeegan

I'll make my own sandwich once a week , there is no way I'm going to give up the pint
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Capt Pat

"Mary Harney kills Santa Claus and buries the body in foundations of new HSE HQ"

I win the caption competition.

Main Street

That's a poor choice of shovel for digging a hole.

Kerry Mike

FFS 9.25% today for the bonds . But dont worry its all under control, The Brian's say so.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Kerry Mike

Irish economy basically sound - The Greek Prime Minister, George Papandreou has said today, thats a ringing endorsement from someone who has ridden over 110 Billion euro of Debt in his own Country

What fecking planet are they living on.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

seafoid

Quote from: Kerry Mike on November 11, 2010, 02:42:16 PM
FFS 9.25% today for the bonds . But dont worry its all under control, The Brian's say so.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=GIGB10YR:IND

Bloomberg has them under 9%.

It seems the dealers in London doing the selling think the Government won't get a budget through. I can't see FG voting against it.  Surely they will abstain and have FF go down in history as the ones who voted for the budget.   

Bogball XV

Quote from: seafoid on November 11, 2010, 04:24:05 PM

It seems the dealers in London doing the selling think the Government won't get a budget through. I can't see FG voting against it.  Surely they will abstain and have FF go down in history as the ones who voted for the budget.   
I said it last week and I stick by it, it'd make eminently more sense imo to call an election now, pre-budget and let the parties tell us their plans for reducing the deficit and then let us vote on it.  I think it would give the whole process a mandate that people couldn't shirk from, a sort of Londoners in the blitz sort of mentality.  It's of little consequence imo if we have a sham budget now that will lead to more moaning and whinging and could be torn up come the general election in April or May (just when we are running out of money by the way) or a budget in Jan/Feb that gives us the chance to prove to the markets that the people are behind the austerity process.
I really hope that Jackie Healy Rae and Lowry stick to their promises that they will not support a budget that sees cuts for pensioners, because there surely will be cuts for pensioners. 

I heard Mattie McGrath on the radio this morning, he's independent FF, what the f**k is that??  Anyway, he is surely a bigger gombeen than JHR, he's virtually indecipherable and from the words I did get, that's maybe for the best.  What I can't understand is how a man like that could possibly rise to the top of his local constituency organisation?  I presume that this is in part because local meetings can have a few as 3 or 4 people at them and hence regular attendance can see you move up the ranking pretty quickly, but is there another reason, did he hurl for tipp or something?

muppet

For those who don't like bad new don't read any further.

The rest who might like to know what reality is:

MWWSI 2017

The Subbie

There will be even more digging to be done in the next day or two, have just heard that MacNamaras have gone wallop, not out yet in the wider sense but it will come out, the construction co and a few other affiliated co's are going into receivership/ liquidation, I don't have a link as it's not been reported anywhere yet, but my source is immpeccable, I used to work for them and am still on contact with a few senior management types.
The sites they are currently working on will close immediately till the examiners see what is worth finishing,Bernard Mc Namara himself would be proper old school tribal Ff, so to hear this really shows how facked we are. Wonder will Bernard have the ailsbury road pad repossessed now? Or will he like the rest of the great & the good get a handy number with Nama ?

armaghniac

Some chat on Irisheconomy.ie about talks with the IMF. Nobody is quite sure what is going on.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: Bogball XV on November 11, 2010, 04:36:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 11, 2010, 04:24:05 PM

I said it last week and I stick by it, it'd make eminently more sense imo to call an election now, pre-budget and let the parties tell us their plans for reducing the deficit and then let us vote on it.  I think it would give the whole process a mandate that people couldn't shirk from, a sort of Londoners in the blitz sort of mentality.  It's of little consequence imo if we have a sham budget now that will lead to more moaning and whinging and could be torn up come the general election in April or May (just when we are running out of money by the way) or a budget in Jan/Feb that gives us the chance to prove to the markets that the people are behind the austerity process.
I really hope that Jackie Healy Rae and Lowry stick to their promises that they will not support a budget that sees cuts for pensioners, because there surely will be cuts for pensioners. 

I heard Mattie McGrath on the radio this morning, he's independent FF, what the f**k is that??  Anyway, he is surely a bigger gombeen than JHR, he's virtually indecipherable and from the words I did get, that's maybe for the best.  What I can't understand is how a man like that could possibly rise to the top of his local constituency organisation?  I presume that this is in part because local meetings can have a few as 3 or 4 people at them and hence regular attendance can see you move up the ranking pretty quickly, but is there another reason, did he hurl for tipp or something?

I think it would be better to get the budget through and then call an election straight after. Having the election now would send out the wrong signal to the chavs in London who are calling the shots on the bonds and would could drive the yields beyond the point of no return.  It's easy for JHR to talk about pensions. It's not his money.  Whoever it is is elected will have to go with the plan. There are no other choices.

Regarding Mattie whatshisname this is just typical of the pool from which Irish politicians are sourced. It's all about pull. Charlie McCreevy's agent succeeded him as TD in Kildare. Nothing to do with ability. All about who you know and loyalty to the party.   

there are no economists or bankers or auditors in the Dáil as far as I know. It's mostly teachers and solicitors with a few farmers.

So the political class is overwhelmed by this crisis  where pull is meaningless and decisions have to be made fast based on insight that most of them don't have.

muppet

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2010/09/27/353176/europes-spv-really-is-not-saving-anything/

Given the high costs associated with requesting EFSF funds, and the potentially limited amounts it might offer, Europe's best chance is that no one — Ireland or otherwise — is ever actually forced to tap it.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on November 12, 2010, 08:28:37 AM

there are no economists or bankers or auditors in the Dáil as far as I know. 

Not like Anglo - Irish, AIB, Bank of Ireland , Quinns, McNamaras, Pierse etc etc .
Some fcukin use Bankers, Economists, Audtors are to anyone  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on November 12, 2010, 07:20:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 12, 2010, 08:28:37 AM

there are no economists or bankers or auditors in the Dáil as far as I know. 

Not like Anglo - Irish, AIB, Bank of Ireland , Quinns, McNamaras, Pierse etc etc .
Some fcukin use Bankers, Economists, Audtors are to anyone  :D

Good point. The auditors were hopelessly compromised. There should be heads rolling in the accountancy field as well but the snouts are still in the trough.