The Big Bailout of the Eurozone (Another crisis coming? - Seriously)

Started by muppet, September 28, 2008, 11:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

The population has increased quite a bit since the present number of TDs was established. A more concrete action would be to trim the number of junior ministers and their car pool. Why should a minister get driven to work. When they are there you could have a pool of cars if required.

A mark down of 10% is the right idea, however things like electricity prices are not independent of intl markets.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tyronefan

Quote from: armaghniac on February 25, 2009, 07:46:24 PM
The population has increased quite a bit since the present number of TDs was established. A more concrete action would be to trim the number of junior ministers and their car pool. Why should a minister get driven to work. When they are there you could have a pool of cars if required.

A mark down of 10% is the right idea, however things like electricity prices are not independent of intl markets.
i know  that means it used to be worse  these are the current ratios

ludermor

Quote from: Rossfan on February 25, 2009, 06:33:15 PM
Quote from: bcarrier on February 25, 2009, 12:50:33 PM
Dole is too high .

So what can of a life can YOU have on €204.00 per week. Be grand if you could live on fresh air.
Its not just the 204 , its all the add ons, I know people at home on the dole, getting rent allowance ( 600 would get you a 4 bed house) and all the benefits ( medical card , child allowance , back to school etc).
One of my mates moved home after working in dublin for years. He couldnt get work as a builder so he stayed at home minding the kids while the wife got relocated to a bank. He never claimed dole ( not sure why) so they were living off her wages ( normal wage) but when his wife got sick they had to seek welfare. When they went in to the officer he told them they were fools to be living on what they had been and they would have been 200 euro a month better off on the dole. It was a eye opener

carribbear

Quote from: Rossfan on February 25, 2009, 07:28:17 PM
Quote from: carribbear on February 25, 2009, 06:52:41 PM
[
4 - How about a first past the post system. .

NO NO NO NO that would return about 90 to 100 BuilderFF TDs . It would also lead to parachuting of candidates like they do in England where some buck from Surrey represents someplace he's never even seen in Cumbria or the likes.

I'm not sure if it would. The current system is stagnant, you get the same heads elected time after time for doing sod all. Problem with politics is that people have not woken up to the fact that their public representative should be addressing their concerns in their own areas and securing faciliites for their communities. If they don't have someone who is doing the groundwork in their area are they as likely to vote them in next time around?
The current system is flawed, im sure every constituency has one TD they don't hear tell of for 4 years at a time. It's these folk that need to go. Do you think the political parties would be complacent if there was a real battle to keep their jobs. Do you think incompetence would be tolerated?
I agree these "junior" positions should be scrapped - best way to do it is for all ministers to take responsibility for their portfolio. Mini-elections on how well a minister is doing on health/education/tourism/foreign affairs etc....the problem in the country has been the lack of accountability and because no-one has been made hang for making a balls of things they continue to let things slide. If reputations/jobs were on the line wouldn't you think people would do the jobs they are well paid to do? At least that way you can weed out the crap politicians from the ones who really want to make a difference.

Lecale2

Quote from: Rossfan on February 25, 2009, 06:33:15 PM
Quote from: bcarrier on February 25, 2009, 12:50:33 PM
Dole is too high .

So what can of a life can YOU have on €204.00 per week. Be grand if you could live on fresh air.

It better than in the North or in Poland! In the North it about £65. Big difference and there's evidence that lads in Strabane are heading to Lifford to sign on. Why not? Easy money.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Bogball XV

Do people think that perhaps in order to get the dole people should be made to participate in public works projects?  There's no point in pretending that those on the dole are available and actively seeking work (cos there isn't any and won't be for a long time), so what do you all think?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Bogball XV on February 25, 2009, 10:29:44 PM
Do people think that perhaps in order to get the dole people should be made to participate in public works projects?  There's no point in pretending that those on the dole are available and actively seeking work (cos there isn't any and won't be for a long time), so what do you all think?

Yes, definitley. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 25, 2009, 10:30:19 PM

Yes, definitley. 

It would be great, but there are too many "bleeding hearts" in this country for that to happen.

Declan

Folks

This country is Donald Ducked:

Citigroup has cut both AIB and BOI from "hold" to "sell" status.Fraud Squad storming into anglo while these two jokers go down the pan. AIB and BOI are in far worse shape than even Anglo but the public's infatuation with Anglo is clouding everyone's judgement.BoI now officially in the toilet ...lowest ever level. AIB also now in race to the bottom

At this rate, my house will be worth more than both of them combined "

Fair play to ya Frank...pint on the counter in Citywest and champers on ice in Mary "The Lunatic" 's room.  (All on the Dail credit card of course  - in the national interest)

Roger

Is that enforceable never mind managable? I would seriously doubt it but I like the idea.  It would be good for the country and actually the individuals who are unemployed too.

Good thread btw.

Lecale2

Quote from: Roger on February 26, 2009, 12:14:41 PM
Is that enforceable never mind managable? I would seriously doubt it but I like the idea.  It would be good for the country and actually the individuals who are unemployed too.

Good thread btw.

Just call it a training course.

Roger

Quote from: Lecale2 on February 26, 2009, 12:34:55 PM
I think if I was unemployed (there but for the Grace of God go I etc) and the outlook was bleak, I would probably volunteer for something like that.  It would keep the motivation going but more importantly it would keep continuation of my CV going and present a positive when paid employment opportunities arise.

Rois

Does anyone in the North remember Enterprise Ulster - I think it did something like that.  I remember seeing bus shelters being made by those on that programme?  It doesn't exist any more but it sounds like what you're suggesting.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Roger on February 26, 2009, 01:22:28 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on February 26, 2009, 12:34:55 PM
I think if I was unemployed (there but for the Grace of God go I etc) and the outlook was bleak, I would probably volunteer for something like that.  It would keep the motivation going but more importantly it would keep continuation of my CV going and present a positive when paid employment opportunities arise.
Same here and hopefully it would result in the construction of some positive infrastructure.  

It's not legally enforceable in any way obviously, but perhaps if a premium of say €100 per week was thrown in then people would volunteer to join in?  (imo dole will be cut soon regardless of whether we want it to be or not).