The Big Bailout of the Eurozone (Another crisis coming? - Seriously)

Started by muppet, September 28, 2008, 11:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on February 19, 2009, 09:08:25 PM
. But I've seen another, who has been on the ball, predict massive food shortages in the States and UK before the end of the year.

Would it be a good time to buy an oul acre or two??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Rossfan on February 19, 2009, 09:58:25 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 19, 2009, 09:08:25 PM
. But I've seen another, who has been on the ball, predict massive food shortages in the States and UK before the end of the year.

Would it be a good time to buy an oul acre or two??

To late, I've a shed full of tinned baked beans. I expect to sell them for trillions of euros next year.
MWWSI 2017

pintsofguinness

I said on this thread months ago that I wanted someone to tell me when to start stocking food and they didnt.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

stephenite

I'll swop you a tin of beans for 4 sausages

pintsofguinness

No, I'll be hoarding the sausages.

Stealing a pig if I have to, all the lights will be switched off so it'll be easy - after I get the bacon and sausages of it I'll swap you the rest for a tin of beans. 

muppet

MWWSI 2017

stephenite

Quote from: muppet on February 19, 2009, 10:14:03 PM
Quote from: stephenite on February 19, 2009, 10:07:53 PM

Galtee skinless?

Denny Gold medal actually - are the beans Heinz or Batchelors? This bartering is going to take off again

pintsofguinness

I thought you were the one with the Beans. 

muppet

Quote from: stephenite on February 19, 2009, 10:15:30 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 19, 2009, 10:14:03 PM
Quote from: stephenite on February 19, 2009, 10:07:53 PM

Galtee skinless?

Denny Gold medal actually - are the beans Heinz or Batchelors? This bartering is going to take off again

Bachelors. I'll give you 10 trillion for 30% of your business (after the hyperinflation).
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

Bacehlors, pfff. Any non-peasants with beans open for trade?

muppet

Quote from: stephenite on February 19, 2009, 10:20:00 PM
Bacehlors, pfff. Any non-peasants with beans open for trade?

You don't have a business, I'm out.

(sorry watching the first ever Irish Dragons Den)
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 19, 2009, 06:04:42 PM
However gold is a finite resource and unless there is new discoveries of massive amounts of reserves, this valuable metal , like oil, gas and armaghs ulster championship winning - will all come to an end in the not too distant future.

I cannot see any comparison with the likes of stocks and shares apart from that you can buy and trade them.
At least with Gold you have something that is tangiable and if what I say earlier materialises, it will incread exponentially at some point.
Its being isnt subject to the inept/bad practices , market trends or brown envelopes that have destroyed the companies  that stocks and shares are based on.

In the last 4 weeks, gold has risen by 25% in USD values
I got a decent bit a couple of months ago at USD 795 pr oz and now its over a USD 1000

But it is more the USD dollar that is losing value than the gold price is going up.
But if your earnings are in USD then it makes a lot of sense.
The online purchase of your gold is the way to go. It is kept in Vaults  around the world and you can chose which one.
I chose Switzerland, for no other reason than no body last century seemed to want to bomb Switzerland to bits.
I wonder why ::)
You can sell bits of your gold on line or buy more bits and just pay a tiny commission each time.

Currency are going to lose value. The GBP will continue to lose as UK Gov borrows/prints more and more .
The USD is set to lose value as the Fed gets ready to print a trillion or two.

Gold will increase in value because it is durable, has a finite supply and price will follow demand. Plus the demand will increase when more punters like Donagh want something safer and more durable than a few bricks and a roof.
When I wrote gold will increase in value 5 times, that would be the worst case scenario for the  world economy, that pretty much means a financial mess mixed in with serious social unrest / riots  plus wars breaking out.

And that would just be the North ::)  (when the subvention river dries up to a trickle)

Bogball XV

Quote from: muppet on February 19, 2009, 06:26:25 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 19, 2009, 06:04:42 PM
Quote from: Lone Shark on February 19, 2009, 05:39:08 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 19, 2009, 05:27:16 PM
you would want to buy a savage amount of gold in order to make money as a long term investment .....its a bit like shares.
Unlike shares, gold is guaranteed to go up in value in the future (unless they find el dorado, or a new prev undiscovered gold mountain range or find that mars is made up of mostly gold).

Now now Lynchbhoy, don't be doing that. I'm as much of a goldbug as you'll get on this site but nothing is guaranteed. I hope it goes up, but you may recall we created a few problems in this country relatively recently with the idea that certain investments can only go in the one direction, so lets not go down that road again!
which is why I never bought into the dot.com or shares frenzy, as I never saw the value/market.

However gold is a finite resource and unless there is new discoveries of massive amounts of reserves, this valuable metal , like oil, gas and armaghs ulster championship winning - will all come to an end in the not too distant future.

I cannot see any comparison with the likes of stocks and shares apart from that you can buy and trade them.
At least with Gold you have something that is tangiable and if what I say earlier materialises, it will incread exponentially at some point.
Its being isnt subject to the inept/bad practices , market trends or brown envelopes that have destroyed the companies  that stocks and shares are based on.

Gold is the new silver which was the new oil which was the new property which was the new dot.com.................

Only two constants. Bread and potable water.
Ye can all keep on way yer gold and beans and whatnot, I've the garage full of salt!!

bcarrier

I like muppets description of this as the doom and gloom bubble.

If we have the complete financial meltdown that some predict (the end of paper money etc ) there will be war. Tinned beans will be useless because the people with guns will steal your tinned beans.

Zapatista

A view on gold smuggleing.

"Instead of acting as the country's economic engine, the plentiful deposits—including uranium, diamonds, and copper—have repeatedly fuelled violent conflict and corruption. Local militia and foreign armies smuggle vast amounts out of the country—an estimated $400 million in diamonds and gold alone have been lost this way annually in recent years—while doing everything within their power to prevent a weak state from establishing its authority.
Unless the DRC can create a strong government to protect its major mineral sites, it will remain hostage to the armed groups that continue to plunder its resources. It has to become sovereign and protect its territory integrity so that its people may finally benefit from what belongs to them.

The Democratic Republic of Congo, DRC, has been described as the worst place in the world to be a girl or woman. Women young and old, even babies, are raped by militiamen, soldiers, policemen and civilians every day. There are hundreds of thousands of victims, though exact numbers are unclear as most women don't ever report an assault. The near defunct judicial system means there's little point.
"

Where is the gold we are buying coming from?